Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman accuses three men of rape after drunken romp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I have read the whole thread, and there is one post from a known female poster who says "No excuse at all for what she did".

That is the extent of the sympathy being shown by female posters have for the 3 men.

The op was clearly annoyed, he called her an offensive word, surely people have a right to be upset with her. No need to derail the bloody thread and completely avoid the main issue by debating the definition of a slapper

Actually I'd wager apart from the fact the OP had to be edited, this post was the one that started kicking things off:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80834673&postcount=30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Quorum wrote: »

Very little condemning or sympathy in those posts, you seem more upset about the op calling the CRIMINAL a slapper rather than the possibility of 3 men spending a large portion of their lives in prison due to a malicious lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I have read the whole thread, and there is one post from a known female poster who says "No excuse at all for what she did".

That is the extent of the sympathy being shown by female posters have for the 3 men.

I gave you three examples. Are you sure you read the thread? And if you're not sure of the gender of some posters, how can you contend that only one person sympathising with the men is female? :confused:

Very little condemning or sympathy in those posts, you seem more upset about the op calling the CRIMINAL a slapper rather than the possibility of 3 men spending a large portion of their lives in prison due to a malicious lie
    No excuse at all for what she did - that is certainly true.
    Seems like she's condemning the woman there.
    What a stupid little bitch, No man will touch her now anyway. I detest women like this, so flippant about destroying two mens lives just because she regretted sleeping with them, You cant just decide someone raped you?!
    Same thing as above.
    The woman was wrong and it was an awful thing to do, no need to use the word slapper though.
    And again, the same.

Well, you asked for examples and there they are, it's not my problem if you don't deem them sympathetic enough.

For me, the term slapper was irrelevant and inflammatory. She did a terrible thing and that should have been allowed to stand alone without sensationalist language being used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The op was clearly annoyed, he called her an offensive word, surely people have a right to be upset with her. No need to derail the bloody thread and completely avoid the main issue by debating the definition of a slapper
    I showed sympathy for them in post #95. And said in post #37 there was no excuse for it.

If you're trying to say women here don't give a damn about them, you've the wrong end of the stick. The sympathy would be a lot more apparent if some folks hadn't decided to muddy the discussion by saying she should get raped/serves her right if she does. You recently said it's deemed more acceptable on AH for a man to be assaulted than for a woman to be - thats not true either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

There have been some inflammatory posts in here that have derailed the thread, which are primarily what have caused female posters to react in the way they have. You can't bitch at those who have the temerity to be offended when someone says that the woman deserves to be raped. It's an inevitable consequence of a post like that, as too is the use of the word "slapper". It has no place on the forum. If I am annoyed with a black person, I would not be allowed to call him the n-word. Same with a gay person -- I would be infracted for calling him the f-word. Quite rightly too.

You have also been pointed to three separate posts before you asked the question; there are more following that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

For me, the term slapper was irrelevant and inflammatory. She did a terrible thing and that should have been allowed to stand alone without sensationalist language being used.

Are you actually being serious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

humbert wrote: »
    Falsely accusing someone of rape isn't as bad as raping someone and shouldn't get the same prison sentence.

Two years seems pretty fair to me, that's not a trivial sentence.
    But surely the punishment should fit the crime. If someone imprisoned another person
    For
    Ten years in their
    Basement they should get ten years in prison.

BTW, did you see my post here? There's another one for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Not from the female posters, feel free to show me some. If you can show me three posts, before this one, from a feminist poster condemning the woman and sympathising with the 3 victims I'll accept your point.
    In relation to this story, there is no excuse for what this woman did. It's a shameful thing to put anyone through and she absolutely deserved to be prosecuted.
    Cases like these (which are, thankfully, rare enough) give ammunition to all those people who dismiss rapists as 'sound lads' and 'respected members of the town' and the victims as slappers. She's done a great disservice, both to the innocent men and to genuine victims of rape.

The woman was wrong and it was an awful thing to do

She is a liar and a criminal, that's proven, that's fact.

Yes, women wrongly accuse men of rape (and this woman was very wrong in this case and deserved the punishment) but a vast majority don't

It should just be about how these three guys had their lives ruined by a complete wagon and how thankfully now though there is justice and hopefully awareness will be created......
    I'm delighted these men's names have been cleared though and that woman is facing consequences for the terrible thing she did. Hopefully she is very remorseful and hopefully the men's lives won't be messed up by "no smoke without fire" crap.

There's five right there.

Well, you asked for examples and there they are, it's not my problem if you don't deem them sympathetic enough.

For me, the term slapper was irrelevant and inflammatory. She did a terrible thing and that should have been allowed to stand alone without sensational language used.

Who cares what she was called? She is a criminal who nearly got 3 innocent men sent to prison for a very long time.

Slapper is defined as "a woman who has sex with a lot of men" by cambridge dictionaries online. Maybe you should start a thread about your issue with the word :rolleyes:

Who cares what she was called? She is a criminal who nearly got 3 innocent men sent to prison for a very long time.

Slapper is defined as "a woman who has sex with a lot of men" by cambridge dictionaries online. Maybe you should start a thread about your issue with the word :rolleyes:

What about the post who said she deserves to be raped? Do you think that's alright?

Millicent wrote: »
    BTW, did you see my post here? There's another one for you.

Did you see my post, I said previous posts to #105
    What about the post who said she deserves to be raped? Do you think that's alright?

No of course not, but once again it was an angry poster posting, I highly doubt anyone of a sound mind would like to see anyone get raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It was an absolutely terrible accusation for the girl to make and she does deserve to be punished, but how on EARTH can anyone think that accusing someone of rape is a crime on the same level as rape? Get a sense of proportionality!

Could you please explain what you believe a feminist poster to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Have to agree. I know people who believe this are the minority but they're there.

Yes, women wrongly accuse men of rape (and this woman was very wrong in this case and deserved the punishment) but a vast majority don't. Those men who've been found innocent aren't always innocent and those who've been found guilty aren't always so either.

I'd presume, like all crimes, that most of the victims are telling the truth but some are liars. Why is rape the exception? Why tarnish all the genuine cases (again, the vast vaaaaast majority) with the actions of a few lunatics? We don't do that with other crimes. Seems to happen a fair bit round here.

People are waiting for this kind of thing to happen to spout their hatred and make out like it happens all the time and we need to be suspicious of every woman who reports a rape when we wouldn't do the same for victims of other crimes. It's deeply depressing.

Very simple reason. How do you know that "the vaaaaast majority" of accusations are true, if they don't secure convictions?
    Why is that "innocent until proven guilty" does not count in sexual accusations for so many people? You are assuming here that the majority of acquittals were miscarriages of justice, which is deeply wrong on so many levels. Why do you fin it so easy to assume that most accusers are telling the truth as opposed to the accused?

py2006 wrote: »
    Are you actually being serious?

Deadly serious.

The OP should try and get a job writing for a red top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I think some of the female posters are focusing too much on 'men' insulting this particular woman.

While its not nice to call women 'slappers' I think the word is rather tame in this case. To focus on that rather than what this individual actually did raises some questions about some of the posters on here to be honest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80835061&postcount=39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Gauss wrote: »
    But surely the punishment should fit the crime. If someone imprisoned another person
    For
    Ten years in their
    Basement they should get ten years in prison.
    Well she failed to get them sent to prison so does that mean she shouldn't go to prison at all?

Ah, it's silly over-simplified biblical style reasoning. Prison is primarily to protect society and to deter would-be criminals, not punishment.

While its not nice to call women 'slappers' I think the word is rather tame in this case. To focus on that rather than what this individual actually did raises some questions about some of the posters on here to be honest.

Actually, I feel calling her a slapper detracts from what she actually did. It doesn't matter that she was promiscuous, it matters that she almost ruined three men's lives.

But, instead of alluding, why not tell us what those "questions" are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

2 years for what she did is a joke. 7 or 8 years would be fairer considering that's the minimum that any rapist would get for more than one rape.

You were given three and you weren't happy with them. BTW, I only pointed to my post because you said:

That's patently not the case.

No of course not, but once again it was an angry poster posting, I highly doubt anyone of a sound mind would liked to see anyone get raped.

The same poster pointed to girls who *must* have falsely accused two guys he knew (despite those guys being convicted) because they were far too respectable men to have done anything like that. Doesn't sound like that post was written in anger (which is never an excuse for a post like that anyway).

I think some of the female posters are focusing too much on 'men' insulting this particular woman.

Yeh what she did is infinitely worse for sure - think it just raises people's heckles though because it contributes to the whole "us and them" thing, which this shouldn't be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That post was disgusting and indefensible, but you get the same crap directed at men as well. I remember one case in which a man's ex tied him up and glued his penis to his stomach, and the judge let her off because 'he brought it on himself by cheating on her'. You also get a LOT of people who joke about prison rape in cases of criminals being jailed. So this is definitely by just a gender issue IMO.

She did a terrible thing did she. I find it curious that when "feminist" type posters criticise men I find they tend to say how evil he is etc and a scumbag. Whereas they criticise women by saying " no excuses, what she did was completely wrong".

Notice in the above quite how the woman's actions are being criticised and not the woman herself. It says a lot.

I can't imagine these posters saying " no excuses, what he did was wrong" after a man raped a woman.

It's like a slap on the wrist for a callous crime, these comments I'm reading show how some posters don't regard men to have feelings who can feel pain.

Very simple reason. How do you know that "the vaaaaast majority" of accusations are true, if they don't secure convictions?
    Why is that "innocent until proven guilty" does not count in sexual accusations for so many people? You are assuming here that the majority of acquittals were miscarriages of justice, which is deeply wrong on so many levels. Why do you fin it so easy to assume that most accusers are telling the truth as opposed to the accused?

There are statistics from various Rape Crisis Centres that bear out her post.

Piste wrote: »
    It was an absolutely terrible accusation for the girl to make and she does deserve to be punished, but how on EARTH can anyone think that accusing someone of rape is a crime on the same level as rape? Get a sense of proportionality!

Well if the punishment for rape matches the crime of rape then giving the punishment matches the crime of rape.

• Advertisement

That post was disgusting and indefensible, but you get the same crap directed at men as well. I remember one case in which a man's ex tied him up and glued his penis to his stomach, and the judge let her off because 'he brought it on himself by cheating on her'. You also get a LOT of people who joke about prison rape in cases of criminals being jailed. So this is definitely by just a gender issue IMO.

Yep and I have the very same problem with them on those threads too. Wishing rape as a punishment and for that matter any of the baying for blood that I see on AH threads like that are disgusting too. It's not a gender issue -- people were being the same about Batman shooter, as one recent example.

Advertisement