Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillars of Eternity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah Raederic is a tough fight. In the end I decided that I would skip the whole talking malarky and launch fireballs at him as soon as I entered the room. If you try to talk to him you have to walk right into the centre of all of his goons and its just a ridiculous ambush.

EDIT: Also any game designer that puts a long conversation after a save point but before a very hard fight should be drowned in boiling oil.

It took me several attempts but the chanter saved my ass. His summon skeleton ability after three chants kept most of the adds busy while I first took down the casters and then Raedric. Next get rid of the archer. The chanter also has a blast aoe spell that affects enemies' DR so I used that on the champions and paladins to make them easier to get through. Then mop up the final few hoods and you're done.

There's probably other ways to skin it but that's the only way I could do it following the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea i was down 1 guy for the fight because they just all pilled on my main guy. but i kept everyone else in a doorway, and used skele summons to run over and aggro the npc's so it was fairly easy but for some reason every fight no matter what the npc's always seem to go for my actually character its a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea i was down 1 guy for the fight because they just all pilled on my main guy. but i kept everyone else in a doorway, and used skele summons to run over and aggro the npc's so it was fairly easy but for some reason every fight no matter what the npc's always seem to go for my actually character its a bit weird.

I would just let everybody wade into the middle. Use CC spells as much as possible - anything that blinds, disorients or fears. I'm not sure how worthwhile winning the battle is. My total XP for the quest including kills was 3600 - I don't know how much that differs from siding with Raedric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

One think i like about the game is that fighting doesn't give XP outside of filling out the bestiary. Plus the combat is tough and you learn to fear large groups of enemies. Got to the floor where Maerwald was and managed to pick the lock to his door, didn't leave the first room. I assume there was a key or another hidden way into his room but i didn't have to bother looking around and fighting enemies because i did what i came here to do. In most other RPGs i would explore everything and every area before i moved on, but not PoE

Anyone else playing in a similar fashion?

i keep rerolling ahhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I got through Raedric and now I'm stuck in his keep. =(

Trying to decide whether to use one of the hacky ways to get out, or just wait till they release the patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One think i like about the game is that fighting doesn't give XP outside of filling out the bestiary. Plus the combat is tough and you learn to fear large groups of enemies. Got to the floor where Maerwald was and managed to pick the lock to his door, didn't leave the first room. I assume there was a key or another hidden way into his room but i didn't have to bother looking around and fighting enemies because i did what i came here to do. In most other RPGs i would explore everything and every area before i moved on, but not PoE

Anyone else playing in a similar fashion?

Aaahhhhh....so this is why I don't get XP for some things. I was wondering what the fudge was going on. That's a good way to do it though.

I am a bit miffed about one thing. The hardest fight I've had so far is Cail the Silent - which is not a spoiler, it will mean nothing until you get there and when you get there you know it's going to be a tough fight straight away - and he only gave me something like 150XP, whereas I felt maybe I had earned 2000.

One thing I am liking is that they didn't go the BG2 route of making most enemies immune to your disabling effects. If a big bad monster has a mediocre Will Save you can melt his brain like anyone else.

I do think Ciphers seem a little overpowered - my main character is both a face-melting wizard and a melee monster now, and that's with only 13 Might and an only-ok Deflection score (I have demented level Intellect so his spells affect the entire damn room).

Also if anyone is seeing the bug where a Cipher's Intellect score is not giving the yellow zone bonus to spells' area effects: just right click on the spell to bring up the description and it will refresh it to include the bonus. The bonus applies anyway but it can be nice to see it take effect.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i keep rerolling ahhh

There are so many builds that I want to try (gun-only Cipher? Melee monster druid? Front-line Battle-Wizard?!), but I generally don't like replaying this sort of game so that's gonna make it tough.

Zillah wrote: »
    There are so many builds that I want to try (gun-only Cipher? Melee monster druid? Front-line Battle-Wizard?!), but I generally don't like replaying this sort of game so that's gonna make it tough.

its not to bad i made a few and got them to the first town did a few quests, went back to my original cipher its a nice class but it feels very squishy compared to the chanter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Y'all need to start using some spoiler tags.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Tentative patch notes. Possible release end of day tomorrow. Must say it bugs me a bit to see the balance changes post release. When do we get to play the finished game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

mewso wrote: »
    Tentative patch notes. Possible release end of day tomorrow. Must say it bugs me a bit to see the balance changes post release. When do we get to play the finished game?

If something isn't working right I'd much rather they fixed it than not.

Anyway just getting into this game, have reached
    Gilded Vale
    , don't really know what I'm doing tbh, took me ages to make a character and even longer to decide what to level up, but it's really fun overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I really enjoyed playing it so far - but I think I 'm going to put it down until they get a patch or two in. I ran into two big bugs (the doubleclick one and the looping sound one) there a few days ago. Better to wait and enjoy it for what it is (a great game) when it's working fully.

on the nexushub ( http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/searchresults/? )mod site thingy some one made a fix for the double click thing. Im in the first big city enjoying it so far. the strong hold is interesting. also two warriors makes this game piss easy well im on normal :o but compared to the other classes i played its a cake walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Keep an eye on the save files, currently about 50% of the way through and each save file is weighing in at > 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Keep an eye on the save files, currently about 50% of the way through and each save file is weighing in at > 3GB.

My saved files are about 1-2 meg each. :/

Hahaha oh lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Patch is out on Steam.

Lol... Hopefully the patch will resolve that. Read one of the bugs was traps not being removed from the game and bloating the save game file although 3gb sounds a bit crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

quarryman wrote: »
    Patch is out on Steam.

Downloaded 1GB of a patch yesterday. Seems like there is a long list of fixes.

• Advertisement

Lol... Hopefully the patch will resolve that. Read one of the bugs was traps not being removed from the game and bloating the save game file although 3gb sounds a bit crazy....

It's gone away now, I think it might have been one map causing the problem, not really sure if it was the patch that resolved it and I haven't been able to replicate it, very weird. Files are now back to ~4MB.

On a related note, anyone else having trouble opening some doors after the patch? I've had to reload two levels to open doors after they fail to open when clicking on them (the open door icon appears on hover the first time but goes away after clicking).

That door thing happened to me alright in Raedrics keep but it wasn't an important door so I didn't think much of it. Haven't played much pre patch so no idea if that's a newly introduced bug.

Another annoying bug is I've done two manual stronghold defenses now and both times my hirelings have turned on me. Initially I thought maybe an AoE went awry but second time there was definitely nothing. They just blinked to red.

Another annoying bug is I've done two manual stronghold defenses now and both times my hirelings have turned on me. Initially I thought maybe an AoE went awry but second time there was definitely nothing. They just blinked to red.

Maybe someone else is paying them more than you :p

I had a quick look in the forums. It seems others are having the same issue so not a payment issue :P Are they worth hiring though? Or should I just defend the keep on my own.

that keeps happening to me, i ended up just killing them and hiring new people :pac: noticed a few bugs since the patch, like i kill a load of people then when i come back to that area there they are standing round but you cant interact with them. hmm. Bit anoying with the stronghold bandit attacks can destroy your walls even tho i just finished it !! 4 days and 2k *waves fist*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad I decided not too get this just yet seeing as ye all seem to be running into annoying bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Words can't describe how disgusted I am with myself for only finding out about this game now...I've let down the gamer in me big time. Massive fan of the Baldur's Gate (Irenicus best antagonist ever imo) games.

Glad I decided not too get this just yet seeing as ye all seem to be running into annoying bugs.

Nothing gaaaame breaking but needs a toouch more polish if you're finicky. Give it a patch more I'd say. It's the first game in a long time I've genuinely been happy that I've paid out for bugs or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'm about 30 hours in and have encountered zero bugs. And most of that is pre-patch gameplay too.

The game is in very good shape. Just buy it and enjoy. Keep a few saves going the whole time in case you hit a bug.

Advertisement