Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillars of Eternity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got back from the pub last night and wound up playing this till 7 in the morning, did not even notice the time going by till I noticed it was bright out, loving it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Burgo wrote: »
    :pac: well played!

Posted something similar on reddit and the window lickers thought I was serious. This is the best game I've played since planescape.

It's not planescape 2, but it's the closest we're ever gonna get. You can really tell the designers have actually played the old infinity engine games, along with pen & paper D&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Made a human Rogue and i'm currently in the first town, Gilded Vale i think its called. There is something about this game that makes me want to roleplay the character i created. Came across a feud between townsfolk over grain supplies. As a player i want to do the quest and get the most out of the game but the kind of character i created really wouldn't give a **** about their problems, despite the fact that i have a "medical" condition and that would be my primary concern. If i continue to play the game based on my characters personality i would pretty much only do the main questline. Should i reroll as a Paladin for my first playthrough and help everyone i meet?

Anyone with experience in rollplaying have any tips on how to approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Made a human Rogue and i'm currently in the first town, Gilded Vale i think its called. There is something about this game that makes me want to roleplay the character i created. Came across a feud between townsfolk over grain supplies. As a player i want to do the quest and get the most out of the game but the kind of character i created really wouldn't give a **** about their problems, despite the fact that i have a "medical" condition and that would be my primary concern. If i continue to play the game based on my characters personality i would pretty much only do the main questline. Should i reroll as a Paladin for my first playthrough and help everyone i meet?

Anyone with experience in rollplaying have any tips on how to approach this?

Picked a ranger first up myself. But I am playing it through first as a goody-two-shoes honest character. Means he'll actually give a **** about finding that potion for the mother to be, and will then tell her the truth about it.

When playing evil characters, I tend to go down the "what's the benefit to me" route. Will they pay me? Fair enough, I'll do it. If I get a chance to **** them over in the process, I'll do that too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's not planescape 2, but it's the closest we're ever gonna get. You can really tell the designers have actually played the old infinity engine games, along with pen & paper D&D.

Tides of Numenera might get as close if not closer and don't forget many of these designers worked on the infinity engine games never mind played them. Josh Sawyer (co-lead on Eternity) was project lead on Icewind Dale 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mewso wrote: »
    Tides of Numenera might get as close if not closer and don't forget many of these designers worked on the infinity engine games never mind played them. Josh Sawyer (co-lead on Eternity) was project lead on Icewind Dale 2.

I actually found the original Icewind Dale more enjoyable than both Baldurs Gates, the sequel although a great game in its own right I would rate it below both BG games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Somebody who has played both might be able to answer this for me. How does it stack up against the recent Divinity? I liked that one a lot but it's lack of "polish" eventually drove me away from it. Little annoyances mounted up and I quit halfway through.

I don't mind hard games or old school games but I want it to be well crafted and polished. Is the UI, menu system, levelling, etc up to scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Kirby wrote: »
    Somebody who has played both might be able to answer this for me. How does it stack up against the recent Divinity? I liked that one a lot but it's lack of "polish" eventually drove me away from it. Little annoyances mounted up and I quit halfway through.

I don't mind hard games or old school games but I want it to be well crafted and polished. Is the UI, menu system, levelling, etc up to scratch?

i loved divinity, they are similar just due to the style of game but other wise, this is literally like a new baldurs gate/torment kind of game. That said im not very far in it because i keep restarting new classes to so i cant say much about its polish. havent found my self stuck or looking for anything with the ui all that seems very well made to me.

ps: chanters are badass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

There is thing about stealth that bugs me. If one of your party members gets discover in stealth you're whole party loses stealth. Which makes Rogues with backstab useless. So you can't send you Rogue to the enemies back line in stealth while you're party starts a fight.

Only way it will work is if you initiate the backstab from stealth with a ranged weapon then flee to you're party to get into position. Or do it with a melee weapon then get jumped by every visible and die.

Had to re roll my Rogue and exclude backstab from my build

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kirby wrote: »

Divinity and Pillars of Eternity only have a few things in common. They are both isometric fantasy RPGs with the usual things that entails - warriors, wizards etc. Other than that they differ quite a bit. Divinity is whimsical in tone with a weakish story but excellent turn based combat that is genuinely fun.

Pillars is "Dark"tm Fantasy with excellent story/writing as far as I can see so far and the combat is the classic RTWP (real time with pause) which is not as fun to me as turn based but the whole rules/character system is very deep (which again makes me wish it was turn based to be honest) and yes the polish is there bar some minor things that will be ironed out I am sure. As a spiritual successor to the Infinity engine games it's a triumph in my opinion and looks very well. I'm actually torn now between continuing pillars and continuing Avernum 6 (I've been on a binge of these fantastic games) and I did not expect any game to drag me away from Avernum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Watch out for the double-click bug folks.

Double clicking an inventory item will remove that character's active and passive effects, permanently!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I want this game and I want to play divinity too and that torment game looks good too, so many damn games >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I want this game and I want to play divinity too and that torment game looks good too, so many damn games >_<

Don't worry, Torment: Tides of Numa Numa isn't going to be out for a while, plenty of time to play this, The Witcher 3 and Sword Coast: Legends between now and then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't worry, Torment: Tides of Numa Numa isn't going to be out for a while

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

quarryman wrote: »
    Watch out for the double-click bug folks.

Double clicking an inventory item will remove that character's active and passive effects, permanently!

Yeah, as fantastic as this game is, there appears to be a whole collection of really bad, game-destroying bugs going on. There is this aforementioned bug, which will persist through save/load. There is one that will permanently break your Cipher's ability to regain focus (do not use The Horn of Moderation until the patch hits this week!)

I hit a bug where after I defeated the enemy at the end of a quest some trigger failed to fire, but it took me a while to realise it was just bugged rather than waiting for me to do something, and I had overwritten the quick and autosave, so I lost several hours of play time.

Save often and save separately. Do not rely on quicksave for extended periods of time or you might get stuck in a broken game.

Also if anyone is having the portraits/dialogue/inventory interface lag bug, what you need to do is disable all unused network connections and uninstall any VPN software. Their code is accidentally invoking some network protocol but because it is not meant to be there it simply waits until the timeout kicks in. I had to disable all internet connections before it started behaving itself.

All of this should be patched soon but be wary until it is! Their tech support forum is a minefield of worries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

With all the talk of bugs, i might give it a few weeks before getting stuck into it. Really don't fancy starting over due to a bug.

Love it so far, but don't want anything like that to sully the experience.

Kiith wrote: »
    With all the talk of bugs, i might give it a few weeks before getting stuck into it. Really don't fancy starting over due to a bug.

Love it so far, but don't want anything like that to sully the experience.

I've reading over the tech support forum quite a bit and it does seem like what I describe above are the only major issues anyone is getting.

Zillah wrote: »
    I've reading over the tech support forum quite a bit and it does seem like what I describe above are the only major issues anyone is getting.

Well I'm pretty certain I have double-clicked to equip by now (who wouldn't?) and I'm not about to go down the rabbit hole of first trying to determine if I have the bug (scanning the calculations during combat??) and second going through what appears to be a quite involved way of solving it so I too will wait for the patch.

Haven't noticed any bugs and I'm a few hours in. GoG version included a day 1 patch so maybe those issues are fixed in it.

Currently steamrolling through on hard with a cipher. Seems a bit OP. Has the best spells in the party & can cast them infinitely in combat by using a fast weapon with the soul whip.

• Advertisement

Haven't noticed any bugs and I'm a few hours in. GoG version included a day 1 patch so maybe those issues are fixed in it.

Currently steamrolling through on hard with a cipher. Seems a bit OP. Has the best spells in the party & can cast them infinitely in combat by using a fast weapon with the soul whip.

There is apparently a bug where certain items will cause party members' stats to permanently increase to insane levels...which is why some people were claiming that even hard mode seemed easy.

I am playing a Cipher on Normal and was surprised at how challenging it is...I can't help but suspect something odd is happening in your game if you're steamrolling it. Then again, I seem to recall that the earlier part of the game was fairly easy too.

I think a fast weapon is going to be far less useful later though, when you start running into more heavily armoured opponents - Damage Reduction is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Do pets actually do anything or are they just decoration? Can you actually get active pets that will fight with you, for example like summoned creatures do? I've a rotting cat following me about that nobody seems to question, that I was hoping to upgrade.

Rangers get companion animals that count as extra party members. Pets are purely decoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I guess I'll be keeping Tiddles, then.

i read rangers pets count for their dps and are better if you go melee with it and rogues are better for ranged dps, anywho raederic :mad: ffs i nearly had that mofo was down to two party members thinking i had them but two enem npcs were just standing off in the distance and it kept in combat then they kicked my ass ugh

if you fancy adding a custom portrait this is handy info

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-custom-portrait-packs-and-how-to-add-them

also link to a load of portraits to download here
    http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/searchresults/?

Well I'm pretty certain I have double-clicked to equip by now (who wouldn't?) and I'm not about to go down the rabbit hole of first trying to determine if I have the bug (scanning the calculations during combat??) and second going through what appears to be a quite involved way of solving it so I too will wait for the patch.

Nope. Cipher just has the best spells in the game. Just use a fast weapon to build focus & spam the paralysis spell & the one that bounces onto five enemy targets.

Nope. Cipher just has the best spells in the game. Just use a fast weapon to build focus & spam the paralysis spell & the one that bounces onto five enemy targets.

You meant to quote somebody else I am guessing.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i read rangers pets count for their dps and are better if you go melee with it and rogues are better for ranged dps, anywho raederic :mad: ffs i nearly had that mofo was down to two party members thinking i had them but two enem npcs were just standing off in the distance and it kept in combat then they kicked my ass ugh

Yeah Raederic is a tough fight. In the end I decided that I would skip the whole talking malarky and launch fireballs at him as soon as I entered the room. If you try to talk to him you have to walk right into the centre of all of his goons and its just a ridiculous ambush.

EDIT: Also any game designer that puts a long conversation after a save point but before a very hard fight should be drowned in boiling oil.

• Advertisement

You meant to quote somebody else I am guessing.

Yes. Yes I did. Stupid mobile site.

Advertisement