Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillars of Eternity

Options
  • 14-09-2012 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

Details here.

They had me at "Hi, I'm ... founder of Black Isle", frankly. They're aiming for something as amazing as Planescape: Torment. That's good enough for me. I will be throwing money at them until they make this.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really love Obsidian's games despite all the bugs. Hopefully this game will be the first one where they don't have to worry about a publisher cutting the time frame short or the budget. It could be something really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Project Eternity Kickstarter

d3mTx.jpg
    Obsidian wrote:

ZV1tv.png

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

5pAgY.png

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

P4DsF.jpg

This looks like it's already off to an amazing start, 30+% of it's $1.1m target in three hours with another 32 days to go.

Hopefully this will also mean Obsidian have the time to release a full game rather than one missing half it's features.

I'm both excited and wary of this, on the one hand they've been involved with some truely great RPGs and a return to the RPG style of the past is no bad thing but on the other hand it's Obsidian.

Damn it, you obviously got yours posted as I was putting mine together :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mergey mergey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Damn it, you obviously got yours posted as I was putting mine together :mad:

My nerd-excitement is clearly more rabid than yours!

Seriously, I'm hopelessly excited already. I can't wait to see how Obsidian do without a big publisher looming behind them. If they can recapture half the amazement I got from the old Infinity engine games, it'll be special.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Someday we'll get a successful software kickstarter that isn't a retro throwback :pac:

At least it's a new IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Delivery - Apr 2014!

Never backed a kickstarter before but think I might just go for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Simply put; I can't not support this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Slightly disappointed that it's 'Ye Olde Fantasy' setting but otherwise I'm giddy with excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Picard-full-of-win.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd prefer a sequel to Alpha Protocol, but I may just have to empty my bank account to support this.

Money is coming in at a crazy rate. It's gone up by about $70k since I posted in this thread. They'll absolutely blow $1.1m out of the water. Which hopefully means a better game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

humanji wrote: »
    I'd prefer a sequel to Alpha Protocol, but I may just have to empty my bank account to support this.

Is this any good ? I own it but never bothered installing as it got awful reviews

It's not nearly as bad as the reviews suggest. The controls were a bit fiddly (mouse and keyboard anyway, might work better with a pad) but it felt like Splinter Cell with proper choices and consequences, and a nice relationship development mechanic with some of your allies/enemies. worth a look.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is this any good ? I own it but never bothered installing as it got awful reviews

Awful controls and combat but then western RPGs have never had the best combat system. The level of choice you have and the affect these have on the game is what makes it so good. You really do have an awful lot of control over what happnes in the game and developing your character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Second RPG I support along with Malevolence and third game including Carmageddon remake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I wonder, has anyone taken the big bait there for 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

I wonder, has anyone taken the big bait there for 10k?

2 so far...

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly from the stream of tweets, one of those is Minecraft's Notch. What a nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sarky wrote: »
    If I remember correctly from the stream of tweets, one of those is Minecraft's Notch. What a nice man.
    I swear he's supported half of the Kickstarter projects at this stage, along with constantly outdoing everyone on the Indie bundles.

They've passed $1,000,000 in less than 24 hours. Holy balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I like (really like) the ideas Obsidian have. Alpha protocol had some great ideas. Personally I found Fallout NV a superior game to FO3. That said, I do not know if I really trust them to execute those ideas successfully. I really would need to see something close to an end product before giving my money to Obsidian.

Well there's a surprise, didn't think this would hit it's target :p

Impressive, that didn't take long at all. Now maybe Obsidian will tell me just what exactly I've been throwing money at!

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the stretch goals tbh. I'd much rather proper new content than a new race or an in game house. Hopefully it gets to 1.6m at least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

First Kickstarter I have backed. Can not wait to see how this turns out. Shame the player house is a stretch goal, I feel it should be in the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Was holding off on funding this but with the stretch of 1.6 mil confirming a Mac release I had to do it! $35 pledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Only ~190 places left for the $20 early bird special (normally $25 for a downloadable copy of the game).

It's up to $1,320,000 :pac:

Advertisement