Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eldest200 wrote: »

Fair point.

Always get things mixed up when talking about what happened at what years Glastonbury. "last year" is from around September time when talking about that years event usually as that is when you start thinking of getting tickets for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

robinph wrote: »
    Fair point.

Always get things mixed up when talking about what happened at what years Glastonbury. "last year" is from around September time when talking about that years event usually as that is when you start thinking of getting tickets for the next one.

Should I apply for tickets for the 2014 festival (if it goes ahead)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

They're not out until end Sept/Oct?! You pre register your itnerest & receive a code. Then when the tickets actually go on sale, you use your code to buy them. I tried from the minute they went on sale for almost 2 hours solid - refreshing refreshing, phoning, and no use. Sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

eldest200 wrote: »
    I'm thinking on going to Glastonbury next year but I'm also starting driving lessons this year (I probably won't have enough money for both),should I go to it next year or wait a couple of years?

If you are on a budget that is limited to the point that you are unsure you can afford a festival 16 months from now and you think that driving will get you an income that could make these choices easier... learn to drive then have the opportunity to go to many more festivals in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is no guarantee that Glastonbury will keep on happening forever. Once Michael retires and if Emily doesn't take over the whole thing it may stop. I'd not risk leaving it a year as you can never tell if it will be on next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

robinph wrote: »
    There is no guarantee that Glastonbury will keep on happening forever. Once Michael retires and if Emily doesn't take over the whole thing it may stop. I'd not risk leaving it a year as you can never tell if it will be on next year.
    Emily has been increasing her involvement every year, so can't see her not continuing it on for a few years at least.
    it's not as if Michael runs that many things himself anyway, Festival Republic and volunteer groups handle the logistics, and there are various bookers who decide who plays.
    i'd be surprised if Michael actually does much more than a glorified spokesperson type role anymore, a bit like Henry Mountcharles at Slane. i would say Emily is more important to the running of the festival these days than Michael tbh.

I think the odds of it stopping this cycle (2013-2018?) are extremely unlikely. My understanding is the licenses are granted and even if Michael dies, Emily has already been heavily involved and shows no sign of wanting to walk away.

Obviously major unseen situations inside or outside of the festival might kill it but we are talking things like massive disasters, financial ruin, changes in the law etc. All of which it has encountered in one form or another in the past and survived.

Worst case scenario If this guy misses Glastonbury to get himself driving/a job it probably means the world is ending anyway so being able to drive will be an important life skill in the coming apocalypse. I'd go one further and suggest that he skip 2014 too and learn to fly a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

What are people's thoughts on the new offsite accomodation?
    Insurance against being flooded out of the crapy tent you bring with you and working out at about €150 per person for the 5 nights! Also no scrammble at 6am on Wednesday to get a spot.

I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Do you have a link Zippy?

Opr

Michael / Emily are not going to give up and are mostly just there to be a face when talking about the festival to the press. It's not entirely set in stone that once Michael goes the sons that run the farm will want to continue putting up with the festival happening on their site though and I don't think Emily has anything to do with the farm at all, apart from being related to them.

I have don't think it will stop, but it's not the same as other entirely commercial festivals that just need a big field and obliging local council.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

That could be quite a trek at 07:00 when you are trying to get an hour or twos kip before everything kicks off again.

harney wrote: »
    That could be quite a trek at 07:00 when you are trying to get an hour or twos kip before everything kicks off again.

Decent area though and I think, obviously it is a bit further, but I'd take that over being washed out closer to the action and having a car right next to the area.

Not sure exactly how far outside the fence on the Pennards Hill side it is from the map they give, but that isn't far from anywhere where you'd be partying until 7am anyway on that side. A walk up the "Hill of death" to the campervan fields when it's muddy and your wasted is further...but then you have a nice bed to hop into in the campervan when you get there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I stayed up near that area, I think, in 2011 and it was a massive trek but the area was dry so I can see the logic in walking a little further.

For a haves verses the have nots here is a shot I took in 2011 that always amuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RICHIE26188

Arctics on the Friday seems to be the strongest rumour so far

Had major stress trying to get a good spot in 2011 and the idea of skipping that is making me think it would be a good idea. Previously it was always a mad dash from the airport to the festival to get the best spot. Usually by taxi. This time I can take my time and get the coach from Bristol and hopefully skip some queuing at the gate as be arriving later. It'll be an awful trek from Gate A to Pennards Gate but with less luggage and no rush I could always plan a route via the cider bus/brothers bar.

The guy who runs E Festivals has just said on the forum The Rolling Stones wont be headlining this year

Toast wrote: »
    Had major stress trying to get a good spot in 2011 and the idea of skipping that is making me think it would be a good idea. Previously it was always a mad dash from the airport to the festival to get the best spot. Usually by taxi. This time I can take my time and get the coach from Bristol and hopefully skip some queuing at the gate as be arriving later. It'll be an awful trek from Gate A to Pennards Gate but with less luggage and no rush I could always plan a route via the cider bus/brothers bar.

Theres a shuttle bus to take you up to Pennards gate from Gate A with your posh camping tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Doc87

Getting transferred to Bristol with work....handy little trip to Glasto.....cant wait!!!

• Advertisement

Doc87 wrote: »
    Getting transferred to Bristol with work....handy little trip to Glasto.....cant wait!!!

Bristol eh?

Go you! I'm sure the depression of working in a regional English city will be worth it for the short travel time to Glastonbury festival once a year. ;)

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Theres a shuttle bus to take you up to Pennards gate from Gate A with your posh camping tickets

Yes but will there be cider on the shuttle bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The guy who runs E Festivals has just said on the forum The Rolling Stones wont be headlining this year

Bit disappointed about that. I'm not a huge fan but would've enjoyed the sing along late into the Glasto night.

Also apparently the info he has strongly suggests that The Stones backed out. That suggests they had agreed to play in principle which may leave a bit of dash to try and find an equal replacement. (Radiohead seems the festivals go to band?)

Opr

Im disappointed, thought The Stones at Glastonbury would finally happen this year. If they've backed out then perhaps theres still time to convince them otherwise

If Radiohead headline ill be elsewhere, not my cup of tea at all id rather they give it to someone like Kasabian, who have not headlined previously are at the level now where they deserve the chance to

Personally I'm hoping this opens the door for Bowie though it is probably unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Doc87

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Bristol eh?

Go you! I'm sure the depression of working in a regional English city will be worth it for the short travel time to Glastonbury festival once a year. ;)

I'm clutching at straws here.......let me have my moment:pac:

Doc87 wrote: »

I'm clutching at straws here.......let me have my moment:pac:
    Bristol is not all that bad.

Good city Bristol, love it down there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

id rather they give it to someone like Kasabian, who have not headlined previously are at the level now where they deserve the chance to

:eek::eek::eek:

they are nowhere near the status of headliner, even for the likes of Electric Picnic...

BJORK however....<crosses fingers>

• Advertisement

The trick with predicting the Pyramid headliners and especially the Friday and Saturday is to remember that there is at least an hour of prime BBC 1 time given up to them. They really do need to be the sort of names Joe Average knows straight off. The few times they've deviated from that that I can think of recently have been due to cancellations. If the Stones really were lined up and they need to fill that slot fast we could get anything (most likely whoever was in the 2nd rung of the lineup which could easily be Kasabian).

Advertisement