Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Normal Atlantic storms rarely pack much punch in the South East but i feel from the South its a different ball game. Will be very interesting to see what the max gust will be at my station in Waterford City. Interesting watching the storm develop rapidly already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

This systems predicted path is unusual or is it just me?
    Moves north along the West coast, then heads west into the Atlantic, stalls then dissipates. Is this normal because it is coming from a South West position?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is it just the south this storm is affecting? We up in mayo have nothing to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sun splitting the trees in DUBLIN 22.
    calm before the storm..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Normal Atlantic storms rarely pack much punch in the South East but i feel from the South its a different ball game. Will be very interesting to see what the max gust will be at my station in Waterford City. Interesting watching the storm develop rapidly already.

I'll be in KK tomorrow, probably won't be that bad here, but I'd say you'll be setting an all time record on that weather station if MT's forecast is right. 80mph winds is no joke for the south coast, big difference to the west/northwest where regular storms clear weak limbs/trees. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have edited more info into recent forecast update.

Current position appears to be 44N 16W about 995 mbs.

Somewhat less severe forecast for Mayo-Galway dependent on storm track away from land after passing Kerry around 1500h. Would not want to say no severe gusts there, but if damaging gusts develop in west and perhaps east Munster, the damage potential further north might be more limited and isolated to most exposed locations where things are built to withstand stronger winds anyway.

My current estimates of peak gust speeds during this event would include:

SHERKIN, ROCHE PT ... 75 kts
    CORK A ... 65 kts
    WATERFORD, SHANNON, LIMERICK, VALENTIA ... 55 kts
    MACE HEAD, BELMULLET ... 53 kts
    DUBLIN, CASEMENT, WEXFORD ... 50 kts
    INLAND such as GURTEEN, OAK PARK, MULLINGAR, CLAREMORRIS and counties around those stations, generally peaking 45 kts but could see local wind streaks higher than that if tornadic cells develop on rotating occlusion, this will be more localized and could miss those recording stations but hit somewhere else.

All of this is rather approximate, I don't entirely trust the model solutions of the final deepening stage or track because we are dealing with a very rapid phasing of the upper low with the surface low, you could speculate that some model solutions look a bit tame and others have localized features that are likely to be evened out by the rapidly expanding field of 40-50 knot winds late tonight. I am expecting a low in the mid-970s eventually with quite a regular isobaric field around it, and the occlusion will be strongly "bent back" across the inland south a bit ahead of the low itself, to lie roughly in an arc across Shannon and Waterford mid-day and then Clare to Dublin later in the afternoon. Any triple point that develops (crest of warm sector) could be a focal point for northeast-moving tornadic cells.

Winds in the Galway area are likely to increase rather slowly all day and peak gusts will depend on how this occlusion holds up in the evening. If it fragments and becomes diffuse then peak gusts could hold below 50 kts there.

Would strongly advise residents in coastal and exposed locations between mouth of Shannon and Wexford to prepare for wind damage potential by removing exposed items wherever possible, wave action could overtop some coastal installations near high tides. East coast will be somewhat more marginal as to damage potential, will depend on local topographic forcing to bring to that intensity. West coast more of a wait and see situation, could end up sub-warning levels but would not count on it.

Limerick-Clare region residents should note that inland location may not mean much reduction in peak wind speeds as this winds up mid-day and dynamics would favour long inland fetch from south to southeast, if you're exposed to that direction, assume damage potential. Lough Derg could see gusts to 55 or 60 knots especially during afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Eileen Dunne on the main part of the news just brought news of the storm warning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

And the RTE website has also updated....

Hurricane Charlie-like weather forecast tomorrow

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0814/weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Never saw so much panic over what is just a normal storm, wait until tomorrow I guarantee you it wont be as bad, its all hype. We have had worse storms than this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MrFrisp wrote: »
    And the RTE website has also updated....

Hurricane Charlie-like weather forecast tomorrow

Why are they on about bloody Charley again. :( ???

The 1 hour record AND the 6 hour record in Casement was not set by Charley but by a low pressure system originating in the Bay of Biscay as it happens in late October 2011 AND Moving North over Ireland. However that 2011 system had much less rotational energy and the wet stuff was stuck to its eastern flank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

BBQ, Kids playing hop scotch, Sun, Heat... what could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Hmm, so should I avoid my usual motorbike commute up and down M1 tomorrow?

Monday morning was way too scary for my liking - cross wind on M1 is like mother nature playing a cruel joke on you - once or twice cross winds pushed me from all the way to the left on the normal lane to almost into the over taking lane - gust by gust, increasing intensity by a notch every gust and you have no control but to helplessly watch the bike drifting closer and closer to the overtaking lane traffic. Proper brown trouser moment.

So would it be too bad tomorrow then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Never saw so much panic over what is just a normal storm, wait until tomorrow I guarantee you it wont be as bad, its all hype. We have had worse storms than this.

:pac:

250px-Hurricane_Neddy_House.png

teetering.jpg

4F07-3101-E5183.gif

Simpsons08x08-HurricaneNeddyrl14-25.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

JJJJNR wrote: »
    BBQ, Kids playing hop scotch, Sun, Heat... what could possibly go wrong.

BBQ playing hopscotch... ?

Edit : reminds me of a garden shed that went hopscotch across the neighbours gardens in a storm years ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Based in kinsale. Weather was lovely when I came home from work and the rain has rolled in. Curious to see what it'll be like in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Quick vid showing the developing wet monster...

http://youtu.be/spPTfRYT95E

(view in 1080p full screen)

Some storm over Eastern Europe. Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

rainfall beginning to look impressive on satelite.

we had 13mm of really heavy rain in 40mins today.

some shower.

then it was 21c and sunny for the rest of the day.

rainfall for August only 44mm so far in Sligo.

There appears to be pulses of rain in this thing not one prolonged band.

Could be a few thunderstorms and mini tornadoes embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

walked the dogs earlier up in oak park in carlow,fantastic summers evenings with the sun shineing through the trees......dont think it will look so nice tomorrow night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

No point in panicking yet the Donegal postman hasn't confirmed it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

No point in panicking yet the Donegal postman hasn't confirmed it yet

i can confirm that he will have a wet sack tomorrow if that's any help,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Here is a nice picture of storm Xenja from Met Eireann...

http://www.met.ie/sat/euro-ir.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Would not like to be out to sea down south!

12081512_1418.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Lashing down and windy in Co. Waterford now.. was clear up until about 20 mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z NAE: 972mb just off the southwest coast in 21 hours. The FAX chart for noon tomorrow is the exact same. GFS is a bit less intense and track is further west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Havent posted on this forum since the great snow of 2 years ago.
    I think this is being exaggerated, come tomorrow i bet there will Just be a small bit of wind and a little rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hang on tight people!

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

had some rain in Cork about 20 mins ago but gone eerily calm since then. Let's hope KC's won't be flooded tomorrow morning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the wind is steadily picking up here in youghal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Havent posted on this forum since the great snow of 2 years ago.
    I think this is being exaggerated, come tomorrow i bet there will Just be a small bit of wind and a little rain.

Even if it's torrential, at least it will be warm. Golden shower, with gales:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement