Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hook head yesterday evening about 6 o clock I think it was, Say your man had some job gettin to the saltees in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC54gEyOoRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have a few pics ill put up later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

baraca wrote: »
    Hook head yesterday evening about 6 o clock I think it was, Say your man had some job gettin to the saltees in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC54gEyOoRc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have a few pics ill put up later as well.

It says the video is private??

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Fallen tree in Galway 15/08/2012

I hate driving under these trees in stormy weather, with good reason.

217226.jpg

217228.jpg

Those trees are FAR too big to have in an urban garden, they should've been cut down a long time ago. People don't seem to realise that having massive trees in their gardens poses a serious threat to the house or neighbours, especially at this time of the year when the trees are laden with leaves and therefore wind resistance is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very quite here today, any pictures of damage like from the cove in Tramore where a poster said there were boats damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Big Tone wrote: »
    Those trees are FAR too big to have in an urban garden, they should've been cut down a long time ago. People don't seem to realise that having massive trees in their gardens poses a serious threat to the house or neighbours, especially at this time of the year when the trees are laden with leaves and therefore wind resistance is high.

I agree, there are about 8 houses in a row with similar trees. One of them saw sense and cut them down, but I guess it's not cheap to hire a tree surgeon.
    I have to use full beams on parts of that road at night because the trees block the street lights.

Also, the name of the house was four trees, guess they'll have to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Its lucky this system wasn't very intense. A strong storm hitting rarely affected areas in the middle of August with the trees in full leaf could have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Its lucky this system wasn't very intense. A strong storm hitting rarely affected areas in the middle of August with the trees in full leaf could have been a nightmare.

wasn't intense? i beg to differ, it was intense down in youghal yesterday and last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sunbabe08 wrote: »

wasn't intense? i beg to differ, it was intense down in youghal yesterday and last night.

I second that, I've never seen anything like it, Youghal got well and truly battered yesterday, even the locals were saying they'd never seen a storm that bad.

Good to hear you survived the night in the caravan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Another from the Hook yesterday. Blizzard of Foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I mean wasn't very intense. Something as powerful as the Dec 97 storm happening in the middle of August would have brought down so many trees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Duiske wrote: »
    Another from the Hook yesterday. Blizzard of Foam.

i was only there on sunday and it was completely calm! what a difference a few hours makes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Deank wrote: »
    I second that, I've never seen anything like it, Youghal got well and truly battered yesterday, even the locals were saying they'd never seen a storm that bad.

Good to hear you survived the night in the caravan....

i am glad i survived as well. back in cork now was supposed to meet friend and there all scared to leave the house because of a weather warning:confused: what weather warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I mean wasn't very intense. Something as powerful as the Dec 97 storm happening in the middle of August would have brought down so many trees.

I'll never forget Dec 97 storm - the winds were:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what weather warning?

Cough, see bottom of map > http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Sponge Bob wrote: »

This is what M.E. are predicting...

Although it is cloudy in Cork right now,,it is fairly bright,,and not much sign of any rain..

Today's Weather
    Scattered heavy showers but sunny spells in many areas at first this afternoon.
    A spell of heavy rain will move into southern and southwestern coastal areas early this afternoon and spread northwards to all parts later this afternoon and this evening with some thundery downpours leading to local spot flooding.
    Top temperatures will range from 17 to 21 degrees C this afternoon.
    Tonight's Weather
    Heavy rain continuing early tonight and rather windy in southeastern and eastern areas for a time. However, the rain will clear northwards overnight and winds veering south to southwest will slacken generally. Mild overnight; lowest temperatures 12 to 14 degrees Celsius with some mist or fog around dawn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya weather in cork has been good all day,hopefully we wont see any thunderstorms,I do not need another modem replaced thank you very much :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

leahyl wrote: »
    I'll never forget Dec 97 storm - the winds were:eek:

Nor Will I,I was 11 and the power went And I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use my nintendo 64 the next day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Rain has arrived in Ashford and wind picking up, gusts up to 36km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nor Will I,I was 11 and the power went And I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use my nintendo 64 the next day :D

I was 12:) Remember being in the church in Wilton near the shopping centre on Christmas Eve and the windows behind the altar had all blown in and there were tree branches sticking in and everything and the roof was rattling cos there were wooden beams on it:eek:

Sorry, a bit off topic. On topic, weather today is nothing like Dec 97 :-D

and it's starting to rain in ballincollig again :-/ no wind though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Closing this now as its yesterdays weather. Any more pics, just stick them in weather pic forum

Deep Easterly has painstakingly put together a satellite sequence of the storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDjBqxPDwMM&feature=youtu.be

and glossed up a synoptic Analysis chart from 06z yesterday just to keep this on record.

http://omg.wthax.org/Synoptic_Analysis_15th_August_2012_0600_UTC.png

Satillite images from METEOGALICA and chart image is from the UK Met Office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement