Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look at the amount of moisture in this baby.

Cooking up nicely.

http://sat24.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Wind is getting up now in south KK. Noticed it getting windy at about 9pm. I love any type of weather - except wind events!! Lets hope any damage caused is minimal.
    But, I must say, watching this develop is facinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the wind is steadily picking up here in youghal

Have to head down there tomorrow im debating whether i should do it now. Id say il avoid the vee either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS 18z is only deepening from 995 (at 18z) to 985 (at 18z weds) and to 980 on thursday as it tracks NW. Not Bomb territory that....some models were showing it dropping to as low as 968 on weds as late as yesterday.

Wet???? Veeeeery.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    GFS 18z is only deepening from 995 (at 18z) to 985 (at 18z weds) and to 980 on thursday as it tracks NW. Not Bomb territory that....some models were showing it dropping to as low as 968 on weds as late as yesterday.

Wet???? Veeeeery.

so more of a rain event than a wind event ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I have some outdoor work in Limerick tomorrow around 10am. I heard them mention south Munster as likely to worst affected by this. Should Limerick escape or get the full pelt of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Whats unusual and potentially damaging about this storm is that there will be gale force winds from the East (at least in Connaught). As its usually the leeward side for everything i.e. bays, harbours, anchorages, large open buildings, people could be caught out. I know up here a local water plant had its roof blown off 2 years ago on a very rare day of gale force SE winds as the large door on the building faces east.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭heliocentrist

Davehopper wrote: »
    A quick "good luck" phonecall to the relatives in Cork is on the cards this evening. :( Might live to regret if I didn't. Would advise everyone else to do the same.

Speaking as a Cork person, that did give me a good chuckle to be fair. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Avox wrote: »
    Lashing down and windy in Co. Waterford now.. was clear up until about 20 mins ago!

Only the slightest breeze so far in Dungarvan. Fairly calm right now out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

It has started raining in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What time-ish would the worst be expected for Waterford area tomorrow ? I was under the impression it wouldn't develop until evening, but after reading bits on here, and seeing how close it is on sat, I'm not so sure... :confused:
    (if it starts flooding when I'm in town it could be a bit of an ordeal to get home !)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Just in from work, roads are bad, wind and rain whipping here in Cork City id give it until after 12.00.am its gonna get worse. Douglas are bricking it id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Havent posted on this forum since the great snow of 2 years ago.
    I think this is being exaggerated, come tomorrow i bet there will Just be a small bit of wind and a little rain.[/QUOTE]
    totally agree with you there. nothing we havent seen already,bitta wind and rain and the whole country goes nuts.:pac:these people should travel the world and see what a real storm is like.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Even if it's torrential, at least it will be warm. Golden shower, with gales:)

Do you know what a golden shower is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Disregard the GFS, it can't resolve this correctly.

Focus on Meso models.

Low is probably as deep now as GFS shows it at its most intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Do you know what a golden shower is?
    iam thinking he doesent or he woulent have posted.i had a god oul laugh when i read it

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

deisedevil wrote: »
    Only the slightest breeze so far in Dungarvan. Fairly calm right now out.

I'm nearer to Bonmahon which might explain why it's worse here!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

SnowY32 wrote: »
    Just in from work, roads are bad, wind and rain whipping here in Cork City id give it until after 12.00.am its gonna get worse. Douglas are bricking it id say.

Really? calm enough out here in ballincollig

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UKMO Shipping forecast reissue at 22:50 IST

Severe Gale 'later'

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Lundy

Storm Force 10 'Soon'

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Fitzroy

As for Cork and Waterford???

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Fastnet
    Gale warnings - Issued: 2150 UTC Tue 14 Aug

Southeasterly gale force 8 expected soon, increasing severe gale force 9 later

The SW Ireland zone is Showing force 8 'Later'

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Never saw so much panic over what is just a normal storm, wait until tomorrow I guarantee you it wont be as bad, its all hype. We have had worse storms than this.[/QUOTE]
    i agree 100% with you. it wont last more than a few hours,:pac:and probaly wont be felt anywhere other than the south coast,:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Weylin wrote: »
    Chicken1 wrote: »
    Never saw so much panic over what is just a normal storm, wait until tomorrow I guarantee you it wont be as bad, its all hype. We have had worse storms than this.[/QUOTE]
    i agree 100% with you. it wont last more than a few hours,:pac:and probaly wont be felt anywhere other than the south coast,:pac:

this storm is bringing the weather trolls with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

i agree 100% with you. it wont last more than a few hours,pacman.gifand probaly wont be felt anywhere other than the south coast,pacman.gif
    As a south-east Cork man, I must disagree. I'm supposed to be rowing in that tomorrow!:eek: Although I must admit, we Irish are great for the occasional hyperbole. Met Eireann seem to be a bit hesitant on the issue though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rte2 world weather downplayed it as just a rain event for the day - there was no mention of wind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Weylin wrote: »
    Havent posted on this forum since the great snow of 2 years ago.
    I think this is being exaggerated, come tomorrow i bet there will Just be a small bit of wind and a little rain.[/QUOTE]
    totally agree with you there. nothing we havent seen already,bitta wind and rain and the whole country goes nuts.:pac:these people should travel the world and see what a real storm is like.:pac::pac:

:rolleyes: I'm French and have experienced many a stronger storm, and yet I still get excited at the Irish storms, it's a welcome change from the routine.

As to potential damage, I find I worry more about it in Ireland where houses are so exposed, and infrastructure is often less "anchored/protected", and more vulnerable than in old home town of Lyon for example.

edit : for a start in Lyon, most buildings had lightning rods, which is pretty reassuring in a situation like I had here in Ireland yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

3 people died at sea today, and if wasn't for the people who bring you forecasts for just the kind of weather we can expect over the next 24 hours at least that number could well be repeated or increased in the coming hours, anyone who is thinking of making comments about "Hah, it's nothing, more hype :rolleyes:" just think about that and be seriously fucking thankful for the warnings we get today that have saved, and will continue to save many more lives, unlike in times gone past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SnowY32 wrote: »

Really? calm enough out here in ballincollig

Was in the city centre earlier and it was raining heavy enough but not very windy at all - rain seems to have stopped now again and seems pretty calm outside - as in I can't hear the wind......yet :-O!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

leahyl wrote: »
    Was in the city centre earlier and it was raining heavy enough but not very windy at all - rain seems to have stopped now again and seems pretty calm outside - as in I can't hear the wind......yet :-O!

maybe cork city,ballincollig area won't get the worse of it :D?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl wrote: »

maybe cork city,ballincollig area won't get the worse of it :D?

Good God don't say that! I love me a good storm :-D although having said that I'm not exactly looking forward to driving to work in those conditions tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its approaching Five To Midnight which means its time to head over to Met Eireann for the very latest on RTE1 Radio 1/Sky 0160....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Nothing gonna happen here for at least a few more hours..mt did mention some showers but 5-7 am for it to kick off proper in the south..think some zzz are in order ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement