Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sure is gonna be a wet one !!!

217003.png

Its gonna feel horrible aswell with the dew points in the mid teens!

... I guess i know what im doing 2moro so... :rolleyes:

singing-in-the-rain.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Davehopper

A quick "good luck" phonecall to the relatives in Cork is on the cards this evening. :( Might live to regret if I didn't. Would advise everyone else to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well that was a meh forecast from
    Siobhan I thought! She didnt even mention wind speeds!

Just got Cat 2 hurricane status from NOAA!! This is getting serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is there potential for thunder & lightning in this storm?

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Is there potential for thunder & lightning in this storm?

Yes! A big one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

She has a European Windstorm Name. It is Xenja

Analyse_20120814.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I'm still hoping we in Waterford get hit by it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann seem concerned about coastal flooding in the south with that forecast. Hopefully it won't be bad enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

Jebus not looking forward to this one. Sand Bags at the ready

• Advertisement

Anybody know of any building providers that are open late in Galway this evening? Need to get plywood boards for the windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ignore the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Folks, where did NOAA give this a status equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane? Can someone provide a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Davehopper wrote: »
    Just got Cat 2 hurricane status from NOAA!! This is getting serious.

Have you a link to this source? Would love to see that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Davehopper was trolling and is now gone on a holiday.

No cat 2 status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Can just imagine the newspapers picking up on the troll post thinking it's legit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I did wonder if we had a troll on board - relieved that he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have reviewed all guidance except ECM and consensus is a slower forward speed but so much uncertainty because rapid deepening potential is still in place. Will make a full update (forecast thread) at 8:15 pm and expect the main theme for any changes would be timing.

Please note, low centre is now forming around 43N 17W which is about 300nm west of La Coruna, Spain. The eye feature mentioned earlier appears to be a cloud sinkhole in the developing warm frontal cloud canopy. There is a weak eye forming at the actual centre now. No useful ship reports as shipping is avoiding the windier quadrant of this system, would estimate from map and satellite that a 30-knot SSW gradient exists now between northwest Spain and the front. The storm is just now entering explosive deepening phase.

More in my update at 8:15 pm and from then on should be able to keep a continuous watch to storm arrival which I currently estimate to be 0400-0600 on the south coast peaking mid-day there. Rainfall potential appears to have increased slightly due to the slightly slower forward speed. The model depictions of a spiral frontal band followed by core may be over-simplified given the slower motion, we may instead see multiple bands of moderate to heavy rain with less intense rainfall or dry slots between them, all moving north ahead of the east-west axis of the low. If this does deepen to 975 mbs or lower then wind speeds could peak at about 50 knots sustained and 75 knots in gusts at any exposed locations in the south and southwest.

PLS NOTE: Storm is not really a cat-2 hurricane. It is not a tropical system. Intensity may peak at about the same as strong tropical storm or minimal cat-1 hurricane.

UKMO shipping forecast has the storm at 972mb at noon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

gothwalk wrote: »
    Just got one of them plastic greenhouse thingies, will have to weigh it down or dismantle the thing altogether.

Take it down, or at least take out enough panels that the wind can go through it. We put one earlier in the summer on the allotment, and found it about 15 metres over in an empty lot a few days later - and it wasn't even that windy. If it's one of the ones that's a frame with a plastic shroud over it, as it were, just take the plastic off and it'll probably be ok. Otherwise, well, someone two counties over will have a new greenhouse. :)

Thanks. Yep took the cover off just in case. I don't even keep plants in it. Just use it for drying my washing in. Good old Irish weather means you can't put your washing out and go out for the day, so I got me a "cleanhouse" works a treat!

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yep took the cover off just in case. I don't even keep plants in it. Just use it for drying my washing in. Good old Irish weather means you can't put your washing out and go out for the day, so I got me a "cleanhouse" works a treat!

Brilliant idea:)

Cant wait for this weather to come :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Fantastic Idea, thanks for the tip H2Mrs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

24901646.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Well it looks like it's gonna be interesting here, house facing and open to the elements to the E & S by the coast. Got everything loose tucked away and yard drainage cleared, though I'm kind of regretting not getting a few loose slates on the south side of the roof sorted when I had the chance, but c'est la vie. It is a bit "nervy" knowing what could hit, but still, dramatic weather yeah!! \o/

Thanks for all the info folks, I hope I can follow things on the forum during the day, and don't have to retreat to an out-building after my un-kempt roof heads off on a summer holiday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 efrisby

Just saw more than a hundred crows fly north east and seagulls flying east over south Kilkenny. Doubt it is migration season, they must know something is going to happen.

You can see the rapid intensification nicely on sat24.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Will we have any thunderstorm activity in the south west? How bad will this actually be? Will it be a stop out doors work bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

just had to take down the gazebo. every one else doing the same. this should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

really nice evening in south Cork , fairly sunny and warm , but getting a bit breezy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Where I work the roof makes noises in strong winds. I wonder how strong the winds will be in Naas tomorrow.

It would be interesting if they roof finally gave way. It nealy did a few years ago and we had 3 waterfalls in the building. I need some time of work.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement