Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

Looks great on the visual loop on sat24.com Not your typical sight for the middle of August!

You are manfully trying to keep us on track with technical info while all around us have descended into bickering... The one thing i like anout this board is the charts and technical data provided. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sun shinning in window: good wind blowing still.
    Should be at peak, seemingly not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Sure does Maq

http://www.sat24.com/de/de

Edit : just getting a torrential downpour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I can imagine those living in tornado ally and a tornado warning is given.

People on the American version of boards.ie going "all hype as usual" because they weren't affected.

It is 33 years since the storm affected the race around the Fastnet rock which killed 15 people, the forecast was for winds upto force 7, it turned out the winds reached at least storm force 10 or even violent storm force 11.
    The worst of this system is still to come, it is better to have a warning out than to think 'ahh it won't be too bad' and then to have people die. Met Eireann have a responsibility to warn the people when they see potential danger to life.

I just think it is irresponsible to be downplaying this simply because someone at location X is not badly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Looks great on the visual loop on sat24.com Not your typical sight for the middle of August!

Was thinking that alright, it has really taken shape now, the wind reports in the next hour should make for interesting viewing.

39 gust 47 @ Kinsale Gas Buoy.

Pressure at M3 bouy (off Cork coast) down to 980.0.

Out of interest, does anyone know what is the lowest recorded pressure for August in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

gbee wrote: »
    Should be at peak, seemingly not happening.

I dont think we are expecting peak until after 15:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Starting to get pretty breezy, and with a burst of slightly heavier rain. Dublin 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Fairly bad in Swords right now. Wind has picked up and very heavy sweeping rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Wind intensifying in Dublin 4. Getting quite squally altogether.

I may eat my words yet of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

No rain in Cork city centre since about 11:30/12:00 noon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bit breezy now in west kildare. Rain was falling near vertically earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I dont think we are expecting peak until after 15:00

I'll be watching anyway. Radar seems to have pushed it a little more East. Darkening again as we speak. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

gbee wrote: »
    I'll be watching anyway. Radar seems to have pushed it a little more East. Darkening again as we speak. :)

Darkening and getting pretty windy again!

Spindle wrote: »
    Was thinking that alright, it has really taken shape now, the wind reports in the next hour should make for interesting viewing.

39 gust 47 @ Kinsale Gas Buoy.

Pressure at M3 bouy (off Cork coast) down to 980.0.

Out of interest, does anyone know what is the lowest recorded pressure for August in Ireland?

Whoa! It really gusting now in kinsale....definitely storm force gusts...you guys werent kidding. Dry but strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The 3 hour forecast looks like a Picasso !

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

3hr-wind.gif

Gales reaching southern coastal areas at 4pm on this chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Conditions are finally starting to deteriorate here in Cork. Getting noticeably darker and the wind is getting stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Just as i was saying light rain and wind, the wind picks up. getting going now, but i'd say another hour and it will be rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Takemehome

unusually quite here in stepaside, had some heavy rain earlier for about an hour and a half. still very humid. any reports of T&L with this system?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

15km south of Valentia, 981hPa, 41km/h gusts and now completely enveloped in torrential rain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

telekon wrote: »
    Conditions are finally starting to deteriorate here in Cork. Getting noticeably darker and the wind is getting stronger.

Woohoo, can't wait:D Might be able to head home early if it gets bad

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the rain has stopped in Dublin 2. Raintoday is showing the rain band heading north.

is that it or is there more to come ? to think i was out in the garden moving plants and staking things down last nigh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??
    Darwin Award Winner 2012.

The Coast Guard warnings have been clear for all to read and the skipper of the boat would be well aware of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Calmed down a bit in Dun Laoghaire just now. Greystones is still wicked according to other half. Good news is my sweetcorn is still standing.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking like a fairly breezy afternoon , especially down south

217099.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TskTsk wrote: »
    15km south of Valentia, 981hPa, 41km/h gusts and now completely enveloped in torrential rain :)

Force 6 gusts in South Kerry? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Just been down on the seafront in Youghal, its quite impressive currently, see below video link, will pop back down again about 5ish when the winds are supposed to be at their highest and get more video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqkTd1S52Yc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

irishbird wrote: »
    is that it or is there more to come ? to think i was out in the garden moving plants and staking things down last nigh!!

Squally showers and the wind will pick up for you this evening for a time. The main wind event HAS NOT ARRIVED ....yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind picked up in the last half hour here in Waterford City. Max gust of 64km/h so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 irobmw

Few showers now, and a few not too strong gusts in East Cork

I find this site is good for getting info on the situation here in Cork (not mine btw) - http://maherloughnan.net/gauges.htm

What I was wondering (as I haven't a clue :) )....with Kinsale Energy reporting waves of 4.8m and then a 3.7m high tide due at 17:00 in Cork area, what could that mean for flooding in Cork?
    I'm guessing the City is well sheltered from waves; but coastal areas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement