Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    no complaints from me about the weather, it's vicious down here in youghal. the wind is at it's highest i've ever experience down here, never seen the sea so rough like i saw earlier and the rain is unreal. and i also see debris flying all over the place.

Am in Youghal too this week and the wind at the minute is unreal, am going down to the seafront shortly to get some video, got some earlier and put it on an earlier post, sea was rough but nothing spectacular, looking forward to getting more video though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Would it be safe to say the centre of the universe here in Dublin will escape the worst of it? :pac:

Would I be correct in saying that anything to the south of the line drawn from north Wexford to north Clare will get most of the wind and rain, with Cork getting the worst of it?

Our time in Dublin will come in the winter, when Dublin gets snowmagedden and Cork basks in unseasonally high temperatures! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Deank wrote: »
    Am in Youghal too this week and the wind at the minute is unreal, am going down to the seafront shortly to get some video, got some earlier and put it on an earlier post, sea was rough but nothing spectacular, looking forward to getting more video though

well judging by that clip, i think the waves have picked up a bit. i was taking pictures, but no usb cable. hopefully when i get home when ever that is, i'll put them up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Regular gusts over 60km/h with a Max of 74km/h so far. The house is rocking at times. Strongest winds in a long time in these parts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

hawkwing wrote: »
    Spectators gathering in Hook now :
    http://www.teknet.ie/webcamWest.html

The opposite side of the harbour - http://www.dunmorewebcams.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Getting fairly windy in wexford town now, Think I might take a trip down to Hook head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Awful here in Cork City now too. Is there a risk of the Lee flooding the city given wind direction etc or is the Blackwater only at risk? Was trapped in my office once for 5 hours in about 2005 so wouldn't mind notice of any flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm a bit up high, co Waterford/Tipp border, foot of Knockmealdowns, and everything has been going as predicted, winds increasing in intensity, storm comes in waves of showers, then winds, then bit of both. Trying to upload video, but pretty slow since I'm on a dongle since electrical storm day before yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Nice and calm here in Dublin atm rain has stopped, was just out hoovering the car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Awful here in Cork City now too. Is there a risk of the Lee flooding the city given wind direction etc or is the Blackwater only at risk? Was trapped in my office once for 5 hours in about 2005 so wouldn't mind notice of any flooding!

High tide + wind direction + low pressure. Met Eireann have a high risk warning for coastal flooding in the south but I don't know about specific rivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Near Ardnacrusha power station. Wind increasing and lights flickering every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

just had to warn my mum to go home now, because i really don't want her stuck in town when high tide comes. i have a feeling the city is gonna be flooded again:(

arrrggghhh also caravan rocking back and forth. so much so i'm surprised i have electricity still.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Can I say I big thanks for all the really interesting info being posted, because of this thread I managed to pin stuff down and also ensure that not too much damage can be done.
    In Limerick I'm up high and the wind is gusting fairly strongly now, few branches down and dogs crossing their legs cos they've no intentions of going out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

So, in dundalk and dying to go for a cycle. What are the chances of the weather clearing up this evening? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It must really seem like it's hyped up from Dublin allright so :)
    It is strong down here, fingers crossed not too destructive so far around my house, I just discovered today on top of phone line, internet, satellite, the box that processed my solar panels has also grilled from the electrical storm the other day :(
    I wonder would the insurance cover some costs ?

It's picking up again here, will go out for another vid in a minute and post link to the other ones if successful upload...

edit : is this predicted to be "electrified" ? no way do I want other things like laptop grilled...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I'm in Limerick City and the wind has whipped up quite a good bit over the last 30 minutes or so. We had a gust earlier this afternoon where a garden chair blew over but it was an isolated gust. However this is more sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

arrrggghhh also caravan rocking back and forth.

quiz19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

mark17j wrote: »
    Nice and calm here in Dublin atm rain has stopped, was just out hoovering the car. :)

I am in Dublin now and there is no way I would be out hoovering the car in the current wind and spiting rain, sun is out but I think I will stay indoors for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The wind's getting up at Waterford Airport.

METAR EIWF 151430Z 16025G37KT 9999 FEW028 17/13 Q0992=
    METAR EIWF 151400Z 16022G32KT 130V190 9999 FEW025 18/14 Q0992=
    METAR EIWF 151330Z 17020G30KT 140V210 9999 FEW027 SCT025 17/13 Q0992=
    METAR EIWF 151300Z 17021G33KT 140V200 9999 FEW015 SCT022 17/14 Q0992=

and set to increase to gust 50 knots from 4-7 pm

WATERFORD EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST CORRECTION VALID
    151500/152400 WIND 16027G45KT TEMPO 1518 17030G50KT
    BECMG 1820 19029G45KT
    BECMG 2224 20025G39KT VISIBILITY 9999
    TEMPO 1524 3000 WEATHER
    TEMPO 1524 SHRA/RA
    PROB30 TEMPO 1724 TSRA CLOUD SCT020 BKN030
    TEMPO 1517 BKN012 TEMPO 1524 BKN016CB
    TEMPO 1724 BKN005 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

Showers have picked up in Munster and looks like some more beefy ones on the way on the radar. That won't help flood concerns.

Winds should be peaking over the next couple of hours along the south coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Leaving the calm again in South Kerry... very heavy rain, but winds are yet to pick up again. 980hPa and 25km/h gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

just had to warn my mum to go home now, because i really don't want her stuck in town when high tide comes. i have a feeling the city is gonna be flooded again:(

arrrggghhh also caravan rocking back and forth. so much so i'm surprised i have electricity still.

Hmmmm....What time are the high tides in Cork?

My Wife has a class with her students tonight,and has to cross the river..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

High Tide is now in Cork City, and around half four tomorrow morning. Looking at the marina I dont think there will be flooding in the City. Also the dam has been letting a fair bit out for the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Went to the shop a few minutes ago and a branch of a tree snapped off and landed in the middle of the road so the wind is picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

CUPimus wrote: »
    580946_412026542186737_1214406287_n.jpghttp:

Some Summer we are having...

Is there something causing those lines that come south from the Dublin area? They seem to be on a lot of the images I've seen and they look too straight to be natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This has been a major disappointment for me so far. I'm in Kilkenny and at the moment there's only a little rain out there. Half an hour ago the sun was out. The wind is light for the most part with the odd gust every few minutes. I've got my window open at the moment and it's having no effect at all on the curtains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Neilos wrote: »
    Is there something causing those lines that come south from the Dublin area? They seem to be on a lot of the images I've seen and they look too straight to be natural.

Interference from outdoor Wifi I'd reckon, you see them south of Shannon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Neilos wrote: »

Radar artifacts - I'm not exactly sure what causes them, but looking at them I'd imagine it has to do with interference from the Wicklow mountains

• Advertisement

Storm force 10 (48 knots) at Kinsale Energy with a gust of 58 knots @ 3pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement