Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

How long do you think this bad spell will last? Getting married Friday in Limerick, will we have to weigh down the pumpkin carriage with sandbags?!?!?

Thanks,
    gerardk55
    Don't think so but make sure there is a cover on it as the is a risk of rain or showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just awaiting the first rain of the day here in Donegal Town.. been a nice morning so far if a little breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Heavy rain on and off here in Dublin West. Wind not too strong atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wind starting to blow in Valentia now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Dow99 wrote: »
    I dont want this to go off topic, but the RNLI are NOT professionals, I have been involved in the RNLI for a number of years and there is not 1 crew member in Ireland that is a professional. You can can look at their history over the past to see how many crew members in Ireland have lost their lives over the years. Please respect that volunteers in this country do put their lives at risk to save others.

Thats a bit of a rash statement to make. The RNLI has many professionals in them. Most of the volunteers are fulltime fishermen, sailors, divers, and others. They are highly trained and most do know what they're doing. Its just that the RNLI is not their profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Am wondering will the event to celebrate our Olympians be called off?? Cant imagine too many people going into town in that weather??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes my employer just sent it out to everyone. It's just a precaution really in case they are caught out I'd say:D

Ah I see :)

Sunny now out in ballincollig,kinda windy too

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Heavy rain in Cavan here, the local radio station mast has been hit by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I don't want to scare anyone but... ;)

picture.php?albumid=2219&pictureid=13714

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Marcc wrote: »
    Ya rebelbrowser. I thought that winter would be a good time to watch the board. it is a good resource...i enjoyed the thread on the jet stream and tuned in ever once and awhile. If anyone is annoyed by my comments on over hyping....your problem not mine. Anyway thats off topic..so back to this storm....

eh... was being sarcastic I'm afraid Marcc. Its great fun here in winter but its a bit mad all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Wind and rain in Cork city started around 9.30pm last night and it's been stormy ever since!

Looking at the long range forecast, ie 10 days out, for the area it's a right mixed back but overall still unsettled...I think we can now safely write this "Summer" off as a non-event in terms of getting any consecutive decent summer-like days.

Looking forward to autumn/winter when it will be mostly calm, sunny, mild and most of all, dry, albeit with much shorter hours of daylight.

eh... was being sarcastic I'm afraid Marcc. Its great fun here in winter but its a bit mad all the same!

Duh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

manutd wrote: »
    Heavy rain in Cavan here, the local radio satiation mast has been hit by lightning.

And the Fleadh on as well !! They'll have to get it fixed !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Big Tone wrote: »
    Wind and rain in Cork city started around 9.30pm last night and it's been stormy ever since!

Looking at the long range forecast, ie 10 days out, for the area it's a right mixed back but overall still unsettled...I think we can now safely write this "Summer" off as a non-event in terms of getting any consecutive decent summer-like days.

Looking forward to autumn/winter when it will be mostly calm, sunny, mild and most of all, dry, albeit with much shorter hours of daylight.

i can count 6, yes 6 days where it was wall to wall sunshine. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

49 knot gust at Kinsale Energy (90 kph)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Marcc wrote: »
    Duh!!

Especially when the inevitable 'I'm in Cork where's my snow' comments start. :)

wind is howling in youghal, caravan shaking. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Still damp here in Limerick but the heavy rain has stopped. A very small bit of movement in some of the very light branches of very light trees. And the sky is beginning to brighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i can count 6, yes 6 days where it was wall to wall sunshine. :mad:

I'm not a huge fan of the sun....But..6 days?

That is depressing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

You can see the storm center just off the southwest coast nicely now on sat24. Strong winds are still out at sea but will start being felt on the southwest coast in a few hours time.

yes 6 days of wall to wall sunshine of proper sunshine.

just had a torrential downpour. yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It has gone relatively calm here, north of Kilkenny as the rain has now stopped.

But I am sheltered by my hill from the south and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Especially when the inevitable 'I'm in Cork where's my snow' comments start. :)

No snow please.....Down with that sort of thing ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Bicycle wrote: »
    Still damp here in Limerick but the heavy rain has stopped. A very small bit of movement in some of the very light branches of very light trees. And the sky is beginning to brighten up.
    Twas nasty for a while here alright.
    Leak over my head at work has stopped. Seems to shorted the dire aircon unit back into life. Things not all bad!
    Hopefully power is back on out home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heavy rain has just arrived here in Donegal Town :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

.ak wrote: »
    Found this a short time ago. Might be mad enough to walk to the beach..

EDIT: Thats not Bray...!!! I was told it was and i sent it on before looking sorry..!!

I saw this doing the rounds on FB. Apparently it's cork. Doesn't look real to me tho, can anyone confirm?

That photo was doing the rounds with the huge hurricane that hit china ,it's nothing to do with cork

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jimmynokia wrote: »
    That photo was doing the rounds with the huge hurricane that hit china ,it's nothing to do with cork

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/irene.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Heavy rain has just arrived here in Donegal Town :cool:

was just about to post that (and noticed my weather station hasnt uploaded since the 12th )

• Advertisement

MrFrisp wrote: »
    No snow please.....Down with that sort of thing ...:D

snow is grand. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement