Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

16.6mm of rain so far today. Winds after going calm, thought my wind sensor was broken initially, has now started to pick up a little, nothing exceptional yet as it is too soon, but 40km/hr and that in a sheltered location from the wind direction.
    Pressure down to 991mb and falling.

Nearly at 2 feet of rain for the year, 599mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I am laughing at so many people saying its not bad out and there is no storm it easy to say that when most of those posters are probably sitting in nice warm office posting,I had to go out early today on my motor bike morning was nice ,but now it is as bad as any winter storm that we get. There is bad flooding and many bows of trees down at the moment. Had to do one detour to get home,but thanks to this thread and the many great posters i was prepared and had my winter bike gear on,as said by weathercheck the worst of the winds are to come after 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    snow is grand. :D

Not when you live at the top of a big feckin hill,,and you try to get down when it's covered in snow/ice... :D

I like the snow,but not to the point where it gets in the way of day to day living..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Winds after picking up a good bit down here in the last hour. Very squally after relative calm period earlier. If these winds or gusts get stronger they will cause some damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Not when you live at the top of a big feckin hill,,and you try to get down when it's covered in snow/ice... :D

I like the snow,but not to the point where it gets in the way of day to day living..;)

Exactly, the good or bad thing about a hill too is it can either protect you in a windstorm or have you getting the full blunt of it, at least we never get flooded, plenty of flood water heading off the hills today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

MrFrisp wrote: »

i live on a hill too, but i call that adventure. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i live on a hill too, but i call that adventure. :D

touché

Full of adventure huh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

12hr accumulations up to 12pm (based only on radar returns)

217083.png

Image from Netweather

Highest totals over the mountainous SW and south midlands region and over Munster and west Leinster more generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Right well im off heading over the Knockmealdowns heading towards the Waterford side of Youghal bridge. Im hoping for the serious waves that i often have been told about and alway seem to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

How low did pressure go at the centre of this thing? Personally, I believe this to be one of the most overhyped weather events in recent memory, to the extent that I am still correcting people in my place of work who are talking about a 'hurricane' today. Like when someone says the word 'bomb' on a plane people will never look for the context that it was said in, you know the surrounding sentence, so it was, with mention of Hurricane Charlie on several media outlets. But the Boards.ie forecast from this morning also mentions 'near hurricane force winds', why not just say 'storm force'? the same thing and less dramatic? Now, I can go to Met Eireann, and they more soberly have predicted 'gale to strong gale force winds'. I would hedge my bets that's how it will pan out. I understand it can be very difficult to prevent wishful thinking subjectively colour in forecasts, but since last winter it has really affected the standard of this board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

tipp1986 wrote: »
    Right well im off heading over the Knockmealdowns heading towards the Waterford side of Youghal bridge. Im hoping for the serious waves that i often have been told about and alway seem to miss.

you maybe in for a treat. ;) i'm gonna head down to the storm wall at high tide. should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lots of surface water lying in Waterford city, Abbey road impassable.

Definitely know the wind has risen a few notches when you hear the house alarms going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

People make this remark all the time. Its pretty insulting. RNLI members are as highly trained as any other rescue service and DO NOT put their lives in danger. They are professionals and a lot of their training goes towards not putting their lives in danger. I wish people would stop suggesting that they have a gung-ho putting-their-lives-on-the-line operation.

I'm fully aware of the training and professional approach of the RNLI. I would never question their professionalism.

My point is that if people listened to warnings about the state of the sea in risky winds and stayed at home then lifeboat and rescue crews would not need to be sent out after them. Unfortunately an accident can happen at all times even to professionals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

light rain and breezy here in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Light rain and Light winds here in swords so far, nothing much at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Pretty heavy rain and light enough winds in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New Ross-Mullinavat road closed. River Argle has burst its banks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You should contact Met Eireann while you're at it given they also used the Hurricane Charlie comparison.

Are you sure about that, RTÉ used the comparison but this was simply some junior reporters take on the Met É forecast where Met É are even quoted as saying "a storm, not a hurricane, is expected" . Didn't stop RTÉ from writing a hysterical headline and it is the top article on RTE.ie right now. :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0814/weather.html

What are we accused of doing around here then. ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

You should contact Met Eireann while you're at it given they also used the Hurricane Charlie comparison.

Don't forget Doe Juffy.

The rain has eased here for now.

This is not directed at you munsterlegend, but if people took time to read the forecasts and read all the information instead of selective reading they would not be upset when it doesn't flood outside their front door.

This event is long from over.

This happens everytime there is a storm or sn#w thread, it's really annoying when you get pages and pages of people bickering and the information gets lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Met Eireann saying this storm has "abnormally low pressure".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0815/breaking16.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

RoisinD wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake! I have tried to not get involved but did you read properly what MT said?
    He said 'ALERT for storm force winds with hurricane force gusts in exposed locations'. That is very different from what you claim he said. I suggest you stick with Met Eireann and their sobriety.

With all due respect I carefully read the forecast and would like to direct you back to his morning forecast, where you can see that he predicts 'near hurricane force winds' for the south and south east of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

FFS some amount of trolling in here & it's not even winter
    Miserable day here since about 10 this morning,moderate rain & breezy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

KEEP IT ON THE TOPIC OF THE WEATHER SYSTEM FOLKS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Breezy with light, ocassionally moderate rain here, a typical December August day :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Are you sure about that, RTÉ used the comparison but this was simply some junior reporters take on the Met É forecast where Met É are even quoted as saying "a storm, not a hurricane, is expected" . Didn't stop RTÉ from writing a hysterical headline and it is the top article on RTE.ie right now. :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0814/weather.html

What are we accused of doing around here then. ???

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fresh-storm-could-be-as-bad-as-hurricane-charlie-562964.html

Maybe Vincent was taken out of context!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Weather has been crazy for the last 1 and half out here in ballincollig,Torrential rain,windy, then sun, then torrential rain again,then windy,then calm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks great on the visual loop on sat24.com Not your typical sight for the middle of August!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    . Didn't stop RTÉ from writing a hysterical headline and it is the top article on RTE.ie right now. :)

I 200% agree. The met forecaster who mentioned comparisons with Hurricane Charly did so in a purely scientific sense and he was not wrong. This very system over us now would have had the potential to bring some expectional falls had it been aligned in a different way but synoptically, both systems are not dissimilar at all.

However, in the shallow, tabliod, culture creating times we live in today, say one innocent thing and it is grabbed onto and warped out of all proportion by ambitious. power hungry jgob****es who don't really care about the truth, but only care about climbing up the ladder as far as possible. One thing I have learned over the course of my existence is to be very beware of those that don't really know anything, because they truly are the most dangerous ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement