Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

It's sunny in Limerick, albeit it a bit gusty. Calm before the storm?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

[QUOTE=cotton;80247991f. Good news is my sweetcorn is still standing.:)[/QUOTE]

i am worried about my hollyhock, it is just about to flower :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

96 kph gust at Kinsale Energy at 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

irishbird wrote: »

It should be ok if it's well supported - mine is 6ft & has lived through many a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The amount of gob****es posting drivel on this thread makes it unreadable. The technical details are getting lost within the waffle.

Anyway, here is the latest forecast for Waterford Airport, valid to 8 pm. Good luck that guy going out to the Saltees, especially in view of the lives that were lost in the area recently. You're some hero alright.... :rolleyes:

EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST CORRECTION VALID 151000/151900 WIND 12025G40KT BECMG 1214 14030G48KT BECMG 1618 17028G48KT VISIBILITY 3000 BECMG 1011 9999 TEMPO 1216 7000 BECMG 1618 5000 TEMPO 1719 2000 WEATHER RA/RADZ BECMG 1011 NSW TEMPO 1216 SHRA BECMG 1618 -RA TEMPO 1819 RA/RADZ PROB30 TEMPO 1719 TSRA CLOUD BKN005 BECMG 1011 SCT010 BKN020 TEMPO 1216 BKN010 SCT018CB BECMG 1618 SCT007 BKN010 TEMPO 1719 BKN005 BKN018CB CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

And the latest METAR

EIWF 151300Z 17021G33KT 140V200 9999 FEW015 SCT022 17/14 Q0992=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Brightening up now in swords and the wind has gone completely, strange. Hardly a breeze now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Let's get a few things straight here.

At 11:20 yesterday Met Éireann issues an official public warning in the interest of health and safety. Here it is.

Issued at 14 August 2012 - 11:20
    Weather Warning
    A combination of high winds, heavy rainfall, abnormally low pressure and high tides will cause dangerous conditions in south Munster and east Leinster during Wednesday 15th August. Gale to strong gale force easterly winds, later veering southeasterly to southerly, will occur. Frequent spells of rain will result in accumulations of 30 to 50 mm generally, with higher totals possible in mountainous areas. The will be a high risk of coastal and river flooding.

The thread title reflects this official warning.

Just focusing on me here. I posted on page 1 the following opinion.

Ok lets look at this in more detail with current guidance.
    This is my own opinion and don't take it as gospel.

Let us first look at the coastal flooding risk

Current moon phase is a waning crescent = Good (Less high tide Height)Strongest winds should hit south/south eastern parts come evening time and this happens to be High Tide. Now Tidal surge is unknown but there could be a good push of water from the wind and the sea will be that bit higher anyway due to depression coming up from the south

.Conclusion
    Keep an eye on any official coastal flood warnings.

Wind gusts of 45kts plus

I think the rain part of storm could be very heavy at times and give some local flooding but push through fairly quickly for many and the winds lasting longer. Whatever happens its not going to be pleasant and I can just hear some of you already come Wednesday night, "Eh where's me Storm" 

Remember this could very easy go in the bin as exact track of system will have a big say on who gets what. This is just an idea.

Since then there have been coastal flooding warnings and the guidance given here was to watch out for them. I mentioned high tide time coinciding with strongest winds too.
    There has been no scaremongering here by regular posters.

Many other members have given their opinion here as this is a discussion forum.

What will not be tolerated here is the persistent I told you so posts. A point can be made in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

irishbird wrote: »
    All everyone can do is pray,a nation hold's it's breath that it will survive.Similar to waiting for the score at the end of Katie's fight in terms of excitement :o

89 kph gust at Sherkin at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Force 6 gusts in South Kerry? What am I missing?

It's bizarre weather. Going from total grey-out to sunny again in the space of five minutes. I can see another downpour coming over the hills now.

Ballinskelligs Bay and Lough Currane are looking fairly choppy.

Pressure dropping fairly fast now... just about to go under 981hPa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Squally showers and the wind will pick up for you this evening for a time. The main wind event HAS NOT ARRIVED ....yet!

Met Eireann on RTE radio at 1 gave the sea area forecast, the winds in the South will gust to strong gale 9 and "May" reach storm force 10.

Its just a normal windy day in Ireland dont understand the panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

getting noticeably windier here in arklow, not raining at the minute though

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Kinsale Gas now showing 40 gust 52 (force 8) so picking up out at sea.

Cork Airport also picking up a bit more 29 Gust 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Beginning to whip up here in Limerick now. Wind starting to howl, but the sky is blue and the sun is shining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Some trees knocked over on center park road, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Squally showers and the wind will pick up for you this evening for a time. The main wind event HAS NOT ARRIVED ....yet!

Met Eireann on RTE radio at 1 gave the sea area forecast, the winds in the South will gust to strong gale 9 and "May" reach storm force 10.

Its just a normal windy day in Ireland dont understand the panic.

Totally agree, at the risk of using a pun this much heralded storm has been nothing but a damp squib. In Dublin all I've experienced is blustering conditions and intermittent heavy showers, nothing more. Just goes to show that even with sophisticated models, predicting the weather is still an inexact science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Su Campu wrote: »
    The amount of gob****es posting drivel on this thread makes it unreadable.

I opened a chat thread ( like we used to do in the winter) for the drivel but it didn't last. Funny how this thread attracted drivel right from the off ...despite bans and clear warnings. I suppose any potentially extreme event might. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

So quite here in Lucan, that i looked out the window, and not even tumble weed is being blown around the place.

New warning from Met Eireann. "High risk" of coastal flooding now. Less concerned with severe winds in this warning.

Weather Warning

Issued at 15 August 2012 - 14:09 Weather warning - update Blustery this afternoon and evening with the strongest winds along the south coast. The heavy rain over Ulster, north Connacht and north Leinster will clear slowly northwards. Brighter weather over Munster, with sunny spells and occasional thundery showers will follow to all areas later. Some spot or flash flooding is likely in any heavy downpours and there is a high risk of coastal flooding, especially on parts of the south and south-east coasts.

Perhaps people missed the warning but bans are going to be given for any more of this off topic crap
    What will not be tolerated here is the persistent I told you so posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I think the hype that the media threw up about this storm becoming a hurricane drove a lot of people to the weather forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Bwaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaa

Not a hurricane weathernerds!

I TOLD YOU SO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blazing sun now, its fair to say todays excitement was a manky 3/4 hours and nothing more in the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

mike65 wrote: »
    Blazing sun now, its fair to say todays excitement was a manky 3/4 hours and nothing more in the Deise.

Strongest winds due to arrive at about 5pm.... Can you see into the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭naughto

day getting worse now winds picked up a lot in the last hour and plenty of that wet stuff falling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Strongest winds due to arrive at about 5pm.... Can you see into the future?

Thanks.

Does that apply to the Dublin & Wicklow coasts also, albeit they may not be as strong as the Southern coastline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

Today in Castlebar wind is crazy. It's look like hurricane now. Thanks good I'm in my office, hopefully till 5 the situation will be better.

The banning has commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Winds starting to pick up here in Limerick in the past 20 mins or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Next to no wind in the Athlone area rain not time heavy either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement