Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Raining here in Craughwell galway since about 9.30 was heavy for an hour and still coming down but lighter now , iv seen days like this lots of times nothing special really but maybe it will get worse. I think the Irish blow things out of proportion a bit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Malin head had the strongest gust in the last hour according to met Eireann, 45 knots (83 kph).

There you go they said the South would see the strogest winds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think theres a bit of reason required in assessing this. The media with their ridiculous Hurricane Charlie analogy have a lot to answer for.

99% of the time we DO NOT get extreme weather in this country, today is no different, and Im surprised people who are regular enough visitors here expecting a Hurricane laden with debris to come barrelling down their local main street.

We're seeing a low pressure with a profile usually found in winter bringing us a wet and windy day - its the relative damage 50mm of rain and 50kts of wind will do during an unusually wet August thats the issue, ie tree boughs heavy with foliage and saturated ground

The south coast will probably see some estuary flooding because the ground has not recovered from the recent floods and pressure will be quite low, although i dont see it getting lower than 980 on the coast myself

Other than that, I would be very surprised to hear of real structural damage - trampolines and garden chairs dont count!

Experience wise, it will be a warm, breezy, perhaps squally day, with a moist gale on the shore. I expect the Civil Defence can rest easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Gerry Murphy was on RTE Radio and said its not a "REAL" storm and the rain is not as bad as was expected

We had storms in the winter with winds of 140 k, I am sure if DE was to dig out some stats this is nothing.

There is a difference between winds on the exposed west/northwest that are used to regular storms and the south coast where it is rarer, there is more of a danger from weak limbs/trees there due to the lack of storms affecting them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Still blue sky in Valentia, wind starting to pick up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Malin head had the strongest gust in the last hour according to met Eireann, 45 knots (83 kph).

36 knots sustained at Malin at 11am and yet the 3-hour Met Eireann chart has the 34 knot area not even reaching Malin yet at 1pm. Its either moving faster or is stronger there than expected on that model.

Oh oh wind getting up here now and heavy showers but i dont thnk its a big deal. First time i have spent any length of time on this board -weather and to be honest...it got me all hyped up and then nothing...did we all get a little too over excited...mightnt spend so long here in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Still blue skys in Valentia, wind starting to pick up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Its just a rainy day for me so far and im south inner city Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Marcc wrote: »
    Oh oh wind getting up here now and heavy showers but i dont thnk its a big deal. First time i have spent any length of time on this board -weather and to be honest...it got me all hyped up and then nothing...did we all get a little too over excited...mightnt spend so long here in future...

See ya so!

If you look at MTs predictions in the other thread of how and when the negative comments and complaints would arrive he was spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Also remember the RNLI crew members whose lives you are putting in danger.

People make this remark all the time. Its pretty insulting. RNLI members are as highly trained as any other rescue service and DO NOT put their lives in danger. They are professionals and a lot of their training goes towards not putting their lives in danger. I wish people would stop suggesting that they have a gung-ho putting-their-lives-on-the-line operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Email from who?

Yes my employer just sent it out to everyone. It's just a precaution really in case they are caught out I'd say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Marcc wrote: »

Nah, its just a summer thing. In winter it is very calm here with just the odd, sporadic but well researched forecast of snow. There is generally huge concensus amongst all posters in winter too. ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm off, thankfully!

Maybe everybody can assess this in the morning!

And nobody said armageddon!

The forecast in my perspective all along was for gusts towards 70MPH in the south coast and around 50-60MPH along the east coast.

And this is to begin from 3pm- midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes my employer just sent it out to everyone. It's just a precaution really in case they are caught out I'd say:D

That's one very socially responsible employer. Most dont really care if their staff get one sleeve of their jacket a bit damp and their hair a little moved on the way out to their car or going for a coffee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

People make this remark all the time. Its pretty insulting. RNLI members are as highly trained as any other rescue service and DO NOT put their lives in danger. They are professionals and a lot of their training goes towards not putting their lives in danger. I wish people would stop suggesting that they have a gung-ho putting-their-lives-on-the-line operation.

I think the point is that they're putting their lives in danger by doing something that's inherently dangerous, not that they're being reckless.

Ya rebelbrowser. I thought that winter would be a good time to watch the board. it is a good resource...i enjoyed the thread on the jet stream and tuned in ever once and awhile. If anyone is annoyed by my comments on over hyping....your problem not mine. Anyway thats off topic..so back to this storm....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think theres a bit of reason required in assessing this. The media with their ridiculous Hurricane Charlie analogy have a lot to answer for.

99% of the time we DO NOT get extreme weather in this country, today is no different, and Im surprised people who are regular enough visitors here expecting a Hurricane laden with debris to come barrelling down their local main street.

We're seeing a low pressure with a profile usually found in winter bringing us a wet and windy day - its the relative damage 50mm of rain and 50kts of wind will do during an unusually wet August thats the issue, ie tree boughs heavy with foliage and saturated ground

The south coast will probably see some estuary flooding because the ground has not recovered from the recent floods and pressure will be quite low, although i dont see it getting lower than 980 on the coast myself

Other than that, I would be very surprised to hear of real structural damage - trampolines and garden chairs dont count!

Experience wise, it will be a warm, breezy, perhaps squally day, with a moist gale on the shore. I expect the Civil Defence can rest easy.

Quite apart from the media in my opinion some members of this forum who proport to give "forecasts" and "warnings" need to be reigned in a bit in future. I compare the many warnings thrown about this forum regarding dangerous weather conditions to the non hyped information given by Met.ie. The latter is always more accurate as has been the case on this occasion also.
    I believe that it is irresponsible to allow people to broadcast warnings regarding weather conditions when they have no responsibility to do so. Leave it to the experts I say. Now I'm off to out to enjoy the rest of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Found this a short time ago. Might be mad enough to walk to the beach..

EDIT: Thats not Bray...!!! I was told it was and i sent it on before looking sorry..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I dont want this to go off topic, but the RNLI are NOT professionals, I have been involved in the RNLI for a number of years and there is not 1 crew member in Ireland that is a professional. You can can look at their history over the past to see how many crew members in Ireland have lost their lives over the years. Please respect that volunteers in this country do put their lives at risk to save others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

wow ! where is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

EDIT: Thats not Bray...!!! I was told it was and i sent it on before looking sorry..!!

I saw this doing the rounds on FB. Apparently it's cork. Doesn't look real to me tho, can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

high tide is around 6 o clock today in youghal. well things should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That's one very socially responsible employer. Most dont really care if their staff get one sleeve of their jacket a bit damp and their hair a little moved on the way out to their car or going for a coffee

Haha funny :rolleyes: I think they are just covering themselves as the floods of 2009 had quite an adverse affect on this place and there wasn't a lot of warning because "ah shure tis only a bit of rain":P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

.ak wrote: »
    I saw this doing the rounds on FB. Apparently it's cork. Doesn't look real to me tho, can anyone confirm?

that ain't cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

I saw that photo months ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Hi Guys,

How long do you think this bad spell will last? Getting married Friday in Limerick, will we have to weigh down the pumpkin carriage with sandbags?!?!?

Thanks,
    gerardk55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

.ak wrote: »

If you save the picture and zoom in it does not even look like an Irish beach there are a lot of fishing piers in it, I would say its from some other Country, if it was Cork that picture would be on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We had to put up with 3 to 4 hours of very heavy rain in the Limerick area. The wind isn't getting up to any more than moderate to strong. The rain has eased off now.

• Advertisement

Just saw a tweet about beautiful weather in uk at weekend are we getting any of that?? Not only do they hog all the gold medals. Now they get all the good weather...jesus sunshine just appeared through my window as i write this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement