Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

King Theodans line from the two towers comes to mind "So it Begins"

just started in tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sure there's wind and rain, but seriously this hasn't been that bad. was expecting howling winds, ok, we've got torrential rain, but nothing that we're not used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

shooter57 wrote: »
    Gone really calm now in Tallaght. Dark and soft rain falling . slight breeze . scratch that , heavy rain again and stronger breeze . seems to be coming and going in bursts .

same story here in Clonskeagh, dark clouds looking over the Stepaside area etc! All I want is some T&L!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

30 second downpour here in the city centre. Was heavy enough to overflow some drains and make it look like it was raining all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Whale's Mouth FOrming an hour ago...

217065.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Yet you keep checking the thread and posting even though you're so super excited about your trip to the saltees.... Admit it man, you're a closet meteosexual like the rest of us.

Either that or an annoying troll, either way you need to come out!

I'm about ten miles from the coast in south Wexford,lashing rain no wind don't know where Torrential1 is,hopefully it's clearing in his direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shannon Radar ...just turned the windscreen wipers on from the look of it.

rad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Whale's Mouth FOrming an hour
    What is a whales mouth Iancar ? Never heard that one before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

http://www.teknet.ie/webcamWest.html

Here's a look from hook head lighthouse facing west towards Waterford.
    Camera refreshes every 4 seconds.
    Should be a good watch later when the winds pick up. May even drive down there to see as we don't normally get strong winds into the hook from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    sure there's wind and rain, but seriously this hasn't been that bad. was expecting howling winds, ok, we've got torrential rain, but nothing that we're not used to.

High winds are not expected until 3-6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

Really heavy rain here now in Tallaght . Torrential . would love a thunder and lightning storm !

edit : gardens are starting flood here .

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

This thread should not be used to check weather forecasts or current meteorological conditions. Some people on this forum become hysterical over a bit of weather and everything gets blown ou of all proportions. Where I am was signalled as one of the worst areas to be hit. It's currently stopped raining and it might even turn out to be an ok day in the context of our summer.
    I believe this forum should be read for entertainment purposes only, something those tarrot/physic phone lines and should have a warning that the information is not to be taken as fact. People reading his thread/forum could be unduly effected or disturbed by false information from ordinary joe soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Just had that (squall?) line that broke off from the north of the storm pass over. (North Kildare). Had torrential rain. Nice and calm now but darkening again from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

notnumber wrote: »
    Torrential downpour-heaviest rain I've seen in a long time.

That Olympic homecoming thing in Dublin is going to be great craic I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

High winds are not expected until 3-6pm.

oh goody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Sorry if this is a re-post... but I do love the animation on this site:

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon_dag_natt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

Anyone else get a bad feeling from this, it sounds like a made for TV movie...

Officer 1: What made them go out on a day like today?

Officer 2: The guide apparently said "It'll only be a bit of a breeze."

Officer 1: Wow.. after all the warnings??

I hope this guy knows his stuff, feels too much like tempting fate to me.

There seems to be some confusion about the winds on the south coast. So, Met Eireann forecast:

"Strong east to southeast winds will become south to southeast and will be strongest in the afternoon and evening with some severe gusts, especially along south and east coasts. Risk of coastal flooding along the south coast."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Getting a bit more interesting in Swords now with wind and rain..still nothing major though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Im in Cork down by the Marina, a bit breezy but no rain and very light high up cloud. You can kinda see blue skys through it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From AA Roadwatch website: "Heavy rain and stormy conditions have hit the south coast, most severely affecting Co. Cork at present":confused:

Can anybody in Cork county vouch for this? Dry and completely calm in the city anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

leahyl wrote: »
    From AA Roadwatch website: "Heavy rain and stormy conditions have hit the south coast, most severely affecting Co. Cork at present":confused:

Can anybody in Cork county vouch for this? Dry and completely calm in the city anyway
    Same here for 15 minutes or so but got very humid. Half thinking of going for that boat trip to the salties if there is room for one more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Damn airport keeps making me think I hear thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

stylie wrote: »
    Im in Cork down by the Marina, a bit breezy but no rain and very light high up cloud. You can kinda see blue skys through it

Looks like from the radar on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ that the rain band has passed Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Well I live on the Kinsale side of Cork and driving up this morning the road R600 was blocked on one side around 3 miles from the airport with a tree down.

Also the R600 near Forrest road was passable on one side only due to one particular flood... just here -> http://goo.gl/maps/99j3w

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Biggest gust in cork airport in the last hour was 76KPH, i've no idea how that compares to earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Infrared satellite animation since midnight up to present showing a nice looking system. Image is very small for practical reasons but will do a full 2 day video sequence when it has passed over as it will be nice to watch how it developed, impacted and dissolved.

animation_sat.gif
    Image from the excellent Meteogalicia

Some sharp bursts of rain here and dark and a bit breezy but nuhin' we ain't usesht too here is de wesht.

41 knot gust at Cork Airport already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The stronger winds are forecast for later this afternoon as per maquilidora and MT. The worst of the rain is over but there will be heavy showers following later. Calm before the storm!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement