Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

East Cork. Gone very calm rain stopped after a downpour and just got bright. Are we in the middle of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

here we go people ! Hitting Tallaght right now . rain belting off the windows and strong winds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Takemehome

Heavy rain just started in Stepaside, Dublin. Lasted about 30 seconds very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ok sorry but hasnt anyone noticed the white elephant in the room?? It is a bit wet and breezy. Nothing unusual about this morning's weather, we get a day like this every summer. I am in Wexford, on the coast and the sea is choppy... not rough, not huge waves etc, just choppy. The rain has ceased, some blue showing in the sky, and by the looks of things it will make a fair day. I not trolling, I am simply reporting conditions exactly as they are and have been all morning. I know some people in here hate it when someone puts up a post about weather that they dont want to hear about, or report benign conditions because it takes away from the drama etc, but truth and fact are better than exaggeration and hype. I along with a group of friends intend to go to the Saltees at 12 as planned. The guy bringing us out was right last night when he told us not to cancel as "it will only be a bit of a breeze" (his words). I wonder how many other people across Ireland may have changed plans due to the onslaught of "Hurricane Charlie's long lost cousin"??

Met forecast is " Strong east to southeast winds will become south to southeast and will be strongest in the afternoon and evening with some severe gusts, especially along south and east coasts"

Take care if you head out to the Saltees, i'd heed the experts warning and not go for the sake of one day. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Maybe read the posts before commenting?

It was always expected, heavy torrential rain pushing north through AM and early PM.

High winds after.

Peak Winds South Coast = 3-9PM

Peak Winds Dublin Region = 6-1159PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Hey Gerry was there any thunder over your way this morning?

Didnt hear any but i've been in a noisy envoirnment for most of the morning.

Net weather lightening detector not showing any strikes.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

Plenty of activity in the channel.

Thought I heard some about 7am.
    Mobile network was out for a short while too. Oh well.
    Enjoy the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just started about 5 minutes ago in Dun Laoghaire.
    it's very much a heavy lash, then a pause, then another lash.
    still think this is just the precursor to much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

To be honest guys - it was bad coming into work alright this morning but seems to have calmed down a bit now - surface water on the roads but I don't think there has been any serious flooding (except for some country roads which are always likely to flood).

It hasn't been windy either. But I know that is meant to pick up during the day.

Would love a good aul thunderstorm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Still dry in Santry, wind picking up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

OK Sir Buzz Killington

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Thought I heard some about 7am.
    Mobile network was out for a short while too. Oh well.
    Enjoy the weather.

I'm not enjoying it :( hate wind and rain :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Here she comes!!! (north Kildare)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Breezy here in Swords but no sign of any rain yet. The wife tells me it's now raining in Tallaght.

I agree with torrential1 it could turn out to be a nice day around SW Cork. You look out the window and report on the facts. Defo not trolling or looking to give people a rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Dublin City Centre -

im looking over the liffey.

Starting to pelt rain now. Extremely dark!

nbar12 wrote: »
    OK Sir Buzz Killington

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Bucketing down in Carlow now... Not much wind though.. Actually scratch that just saw about 3 umbrellas go inside out... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

stopped again in DunL

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Pretty windy here in Galway near Tuam... The sky is thick, the air is thick and its started raining...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

HOOFING it down in Gorey and howling wind.... end of the world stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rain just starting in Athlone nth much wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

Gone really calm now in Tallaght. Dark and soft rain falling . slight breeze . scratch that , heavy rain again and stronger breeze . seems to be coming and going in bursts .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The high winds are not expected there until well into the afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yet you keep checking the thread and posting even though you're so super excited about your trip to the saltees.... Admit it man, you're a closet meteosexual like the rest of us.

Either that or an annoying troll, either way you need to come out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Torrential downpour-heaviest rain I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rain just started coming down here in Blanchardstown. Blustery at the moment but nothing more.

Will take some pics with my phone through the office window if it livens up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

sparrowcar wrote: »

Mixing up your clichés there as well.
    "the elephant in the room " and a "white elephant" mean 2 different things 😜

Just started pouring sideways rain in east galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just hit now, sudden heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Now starting to rain here in Swords. Very dark too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement