Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wednesday Storm (15/08):MOD WARNING #626 High Winds + Heavy Rain/Flooding Likely

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

K1 data below.

217058.png

Anyone interested tracing the graphs over the next 24 hours or so, link is here

EDIT: Now under 980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's the latest forecast for Waterford Airport, which is just inland from the sea. Only valid to 11 am.

EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 150100/151000 WIND 11017KT BECMG 0104 10020G35KT BECMG 0507 09025G40KT TEMPO 0610 10030G45KT VISIBILITY 8000 TEMPO 0110 2000 PROB40 TEMPO 0610 1200 WEATHER -RADZ BECMG 0608 RADZ TEMPO 0810+RA CLOUD SCT007 BKN010 TEMPO 0110 BKN003 OVC005 CLOUD HEIGHTS GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Calm and dry now in Kildare, the breeze earlier in the night has dropped. The calm before the storm. Feels very humid also.

Same as the last two days, lovely calm, bright morning in Dundalk. Trees are starting to whistle though, I should sleep through the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the rain has begun in youghal:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Starting to get blustery in Navan plenty of seagulls making a racket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Very windy with heavy rain here in Cork (city)

When is it due to blow over? Need to drive to Dublin later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

That band of percip is huge! It spreads as far as the west coast of France. Any one able to report conditions down on the south west? Doesnt look two bad from the radar returns apart from some localised areas.

Also the area where it made landfall in France produced quite a bit of lightning! Very far away I know but it shows that their is a lot of energy in this monster. Would be great if we see something like that here over the next 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The heavens have opened up out here in ballincollig,very windy too,making getting up that bit harder :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Nice link Longboard, theirs a lot of spray being blown off the water their. Doubt we'll be seeing and swimmers today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The heavens have opened up out here in ballincollig,very windy too,making getting up that bit harder :(
    Same where I live in cork. It is absolutely torrential rain all night . The rivers are sure to bust their banks If this continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

That band of percip is huge! It spreads as far as the west coast of France. Any one able to report conditions down on the south west? Doesnt look two bad from the radar returns apart from some localised areas.
    Wet and windy. :) Nice.

Don't have an anemometer so no accurate wind speed reports, but no serious gusts, sustained probably in the region of 30?? mph, heavy rain in past hour has calmed down now.
    Clonakilty'ish, coastal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Raining pretty heavy here in cork city now. When are peak gusts forecast? Wind doesn't seem too bad now - not according to my hearing anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The wind has been picking up with some scattered showers this past half hour in Limerick city.

Nothing too severe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Living on coast near cork city. Its not that windy at the moment, just the tops of the trees that are getting blown. Went outside there to investigate further, not exactly torrential rainwise either to be fair.

I thought it was meant to hit between 5 and 7 on the south coast?

telekon wrote: »
    Living on coast near cork city. Its not that windy at the moment, just the tops of the trees that are getting blown. Went outside there to investigate further, not exactly torrential rainwise either to be fair.

I thought it was meant to hit between 5 and 7 on the south coast?

I think it's more late morning/early afternoon Telekon - from reading MTs forecast anyway. ****load of rain still to come I think!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Main rain band hasn't reached here yet but not too far away i would imagine. Max gust 55km/h so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In general, expect this storm to come in bands or waves with a period of about 60-90 minutes between peaks of rain or wind ... and a trend towards peak wind gusts on the south coast around noon to 3 p.m., strongest winds a bit further north might be more like 2-5 p.m. and into Connacht and Ulster late afternoon into the evening although generally less intense there.

For Dublin there might be a mid-morning peak and a later similar peak in wind speeds.

Strongest winds are usually found about level with the low centre in northward moving storms, so as it looks likely to be off Valentia around 1300h and west of the Shannon estuary around 1600h you can estimate from that, but also a wind-max will rotate northeast ahead of the storm across the Irish Sea with the strongest pressure falls later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Very heavy rain here near Cork airport. Wind howling. 2 flashes of lightning at 6.35.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

me thinks Cork be effed

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Beginning to slightly blow in Tullamore. Tops of trees moving. No rain, but by the looks of the rain radar, Cork is being hit hard, http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

I think I'll leave a bit earlier for work this morning.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

jesus its pretty intense outside now, and the thunder and lightning is only on its way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My Seabreeze says 35km/h winds

My wife sent me this report:
    At 6.47am wind gust 30.6and average 30.7 high wind 36.2 barometer pressure 992.6 hPa airport gust @ 33 knots rainfall last hour 0.9 mm today 6.6 wind now at 14.8@7.05am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just a reminder, could posters please edit their profile to include a valid location or at least mention location in posts. It makes the post so much more useful.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

35km/h gusts and significant rainfall about 15km south of Valentia. Pressure has dropped to appox 987hPa, give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

id be worried for Cork City centre if the tide is high as well, its a day stay indoors big time, anyone know how many more hours of rainfall the south has?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Tree tops blowing near Finglas, Dublin, no more than usual though. Sky actually looks like it could be a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

In Carlow town and not to bad out at 7 am but seems to be changing quickly, local weather station reports : winds 22.6 KM/h, Gust: 35.2KM/h, 4 BFT :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement