Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Factions Server 1.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

niallmcs wrote: »
    Bring back the motte and bailey castles :D
    Gav, would you not agree there would be much more conflict without obsidian and underwater bases. People would never be secure. If there was no block protection on chests people would have to put real effort into where you hide chests.

If you go down that route then you will have to ban a whole load of things. Water/Lava filled walls, bases in the sky etc etc.
    If there was no chest protection and obsidian then what is stopping me from coming on at 6 in the morning with a stack full of tnt and completely destroying someone's base? With all due respect, if that happens I'm gone.
    What your idea will lead to (in my case anyway) is stashing all of my valuables in the enderchest or if you decide to ban that then... I would find an ultra remote area and bury my chest in the sand, so to speak, set a waypoint on my minimap and tell no one.

A few tweaks are needed but banning water fullstop from bases is insane.
    Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    ............. can we have a normal map again?

Asked to have your pvp turned onto neutral. Build and mine away. If your property is griefed then that person will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

The problem is people do not want to lose their items so they oppose any easy option to getting into their own bases, At the same time they also oppose any option that prevents them from defending their own base.

Look lads, If we start banning this and that soon half of minecraft will be off limits for fear of making things too difficult. Gravel, Sand, Water, Lava, Obsidian. They can all do a good job at making bases impossible to get into so should they get banned? Under water bases, Floating bases, Lava bases, Hidden underground bases, should these also get banned? How about we roll with a super flat world with NO BASES and no attacking and just run over and loot each others items from chests in plain view because ah sure we don't want it too hard!

You can say we should only have traditional castles above ground but where is the fun in that? Minecraft is about creativity and that is where the fun should be in factions, Being creative in stopping the enemy from looting your base. Banning half the game in order to make the game "more fun" is not the way to fix the current problems.

Certain items should be allowed to be placed within enemy land, Ladders for example. Why can I not use such a vital tool to scale an enemy wall? TNT should also be allowed. Sure the enemy might have obsidian walls but tnt to the door and you are inside. The creativity of the owners will then decide if you get the loot.

Traps, Hidden rooms and decoy bases should be what we are using to actually have fun in the game using our creativity to lure the enemy to their death while protecting our belongings rather than crying over the forums. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niallmcs

The problem is people do not want to lose their items so they oppose any easy option to getting into their own bases, At the same time they also oppose any option that prevents them from defending their own base.

Look lads, If we start banning this and that soon half of minecraft will be off limits for fear of making things too difficult. Gravel, Sand, Water, Lava, Obsidian. They can all do a good job at making bases impossible to get into so should they get banned? Under water bases, Floating bases, Lava bases, Hidden underground bases, should these also get banned? How about we roll with a super flat world with NO BASES and no attacking and just run over and loot each others items from chests in plain view because ah sure we don't want it too hard!

You can say we should only have traditional castles above ground but where is the fun in that? Minecraft is about creativity and that is where the fun should be in factions, Being creative in stopping the enemy from looting your base. Banning half the game in order to make the game "more fun" is not the way to fix the current problems.

Certain items should be allowed to be placed within enemy land, Ladders for example. Why can I not use such a vital tool to scale an enemy wall? TNT should also be allowed. Sure the enemy might have obsidian walls but tnt to the door and you are inside. The creativity of the owners will then decide if you get the loot.

Traps, Hidden rooms and decoy bases should be what we are using to actually have fun in the game using our creativity to lure the enemy to their death while protecting our belongings rather than crying over the forums. :P

I am not saying ban every item. People are saying that to outlaw obsidian you must "ban lava, ban water, band obsidian" however that is not the only method. You only have to look to other rules on the server to see how to ensure there is no obsidian bases. Take Mob farming for example; there is no plugin to catch those who mob farm, however if someone was to find your farm you would be banned. The same idea could be used with obsidian bases. If you have an obsidian base, and the enemy was to find it, you could have a penalty imposed e.g. the land is unclaimed or you lose everything in the chests.

I am not saying ban obsidian, as it is needed for objects within the game e.g. enchantment tables and ender chests.

Buttany I would also like to point our, if a base is completely submerged in water, TNT cannot do it any damage, however if a sky/land base was to have water poured over it, it could be countered. If a base was to be made in the sky, then TNT cannons could still attack them. This is not possible with under water bases.

Why not do a poll or a suggestion thread on the features that people want to see, rather than what niall, gav and buttany want to see. Otherwise this server is going to wither away.

Oh the irony of someone from DreamTeam saying mob farming is bad:P

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Oh the irony of someone from DreamTeam saying mob farming is bad:P

Care to elaborate? It shows for your argument when that's all you can take from such a long post

Edit: 666 posts?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I've implemented a number of test changes. These may or may not be reverted at any time.

-Money cost for claiming more land has increased significantly. This is to punish large factions, without limiting them to a specific number.

-Faction land is no longer unbuildable when a faction member is online. However placing or destroying a block will incur 3 hearts of damage.

-Buckets and Flint+Steel can be used when faction members are online.

-Chests are no longer safe when faction members are online.

-When no faction members are online, everything is still protected.

-This only applies to factions that you are considered an enemy to.

I have no idea if this is going to help with some of the problems, but we'll see.

Farcheal wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? It shows for your argument when that's all you can take from such a long post

Edit: 666 posts?!

We found a mob grinder in your mines during our raid.

As for that being all I took from his post, I had already made my points and he made his. Nothing else could be said:)

We found a mob grinder in your mines during our raid.

As for that being all I took from his post, I had already made my points and he made his. Nothing else could be said:)

Um...not from my knowledge, can you provide screenshots to back up your accusations?

Also Dec, Thanks for the changes, this should certainly make things more exciting.

Farcheal wrote: »
    Um...not from my knowledge, can you provide screenshots to back up your accusations?

Also Dec, Thanks for the changes, this should certainly make things more exciting.

Well no, Because we destroyed it however you may ask Gav as he has seen it.

Here is how the new land claiming adds up. The total cost to claim the max amount of land for a single faction:

1 Person: $2,750
    2 People: $10,500
    5 People: $63,750
    10 People: $252,500

So having two 5-person factions could save you $125,000 over a single 10-person faction.

• Advertisement

Sure, a likely story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

While changes are being made, I'll just leave these suggestions here....

Buy XP for money
    An old favourite, an ore notifier
    A bounty system, might lead to mercenary factions

All I can think of at the moment

Botulism wrote: »
    While changes are being made, I'll just leave these suggestions here....

Buy XP for money
    An old favourite, an ore notifier
    A bounty system, might lead to mercenary factions

All I can think of at the moment

oh Mercenary one sounds good. But Why would you need to buy xp, just throw on some armour and go kill mobs.

Edit: I'd suggest some sort of kills leader-board would be good.

deconduo wrote: »
    I've implemented a number of test changes. These may or may not be reverted at any time.

-Money cost for claiming more land has increased significantly. This is to punish large factions, without limiting them to a specific number.

-Faction land is no longer unbuildable when a faction member is online. However placing or destroying a block will incur 3 hearts of damage.

-Buckets and Flint+Steel can be used when faction members are online.

-Chests are no longer safe when faction members are online.

-When no faction members are online, everything is still protected.

-This only applies to factions that you are considered an enemy to.

I have no idea if this is going to help with some of the problems, but we'll see.

Can you confirm then that the access into our base by DT was above board and not glitching?

Also, I'm still not happy that factions bigger than 5 people are allowed. The amount of land they were claiming was not the problem. With these current changes, a large faction can come to an enemy base, and each take a turn knocking out a block thus spending the loss of hearts easier than if a faction of 4 was to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

Where is everyone and everything? I teleported to Faction A and there's nothing. Not a soul. Only thing I can see is Tundra and Desert. Shame it's single player on a multiplayer server :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Where is everyone and everything? I teleported to Faction A and there's nothing. Not a soul. Only thing I can see is Tundra and Desert. Shame it's single player on a multiplayer server :(

Not at all, the warps aren't really used, people didn't want to be right beside a warp as their base is easy to find then

Also it may seem quite but chances are people are talking in faction chat. Have you tried joining a faction , or making one on your own.

You can also choose to be neutral , just ask dec for it and PvP will be turned off for you

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

I honstly think that obsidian shouldnt be banned actually, considering the time it takes to make a fortress out of it.
    What I think is as I've said, chests no locked which has now been changed and also and Buttany said, ladders and vines should be buildable on enemy land to scale walls, but TNT shouldnt be allowed to be placed, TNT cannons should be used.

I do agree with the banning of underwater bases, as this prevents any method of entry as you can climb anywhere as it will be closed off, and TNT won't do damage.

Xenon560 wrote: »
    I honstly think that obsidian shouldnt be banned actually, considering the time it takes to make a fortress out of it.
    What I think is as I've said, chests no locked which has now been changed and also and Buttany said, ladders and vines should be buildable on enemy land to scale walls, but TNT shouldnt be allowed to be placed, TNT cannons should be used.

I do agree with the banning of underwater bases, as this prevents any method of entry as you can climb anywhere as it will be closed off, and TNT won't do damage.

Completely agree with the ladders , i was surprised that they weren't on the test servers.

As with obsidian, i'm all for it , there is nothing wrong with creating a safe room within your base

Dec, if you get a chance can we get a warp sign back to the spawn from the neutral warp at -2100, -2100? We're just too far from everyone there as we want to sell items to the factions, and the lag has trapped us up there, because the last time I tried to make my way to the middle of the map, I died 3 times in a row before I had even made it 300 blocks away due to the big ocean in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I took a few screenshots when I discovered it actually. Co-ordinates of where it was before destroyed are included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 cidmon

kinda stuck in base of gardai (due to shared nether portal)... someone can let us out ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

cidmon wrote: »
    kinda stuck in base of gardai (due to shared nether portal)... someone can let us out ? lol

Help is on the way.

cidmon wrote: »

Ring 999 to get our attention.

SDK gunmod would make this interesting.

This is the wrong approach, I am sorry but maybe it is because you have not been playing much. Large factions could live in a single chunk easily, Not only that but they will have already claimed all the land they need! Increasing the price to 1 Million per chunk would do nothing to solve the problem. Everyone agrees that a 5 member limit is needed.

You have no control over your base any more, No matter how genius your entrance might be, Or how many traps you have, The enemy can just mine a hole into your floor and absolutely destroy your place.

Using the current settings on the server, The enemy should only be allowed to destroy/place certain blocks while members of the faction are online. TNT and ladders should be placeable, While the enemy should ONLY be able to damage doors.

The current settings also discourage coming online at all, If I am the only member of my faction online all I can do is sit in my base as otherwise I put the base at risk. This should not be the case! I should be able to feel confident in something I have done(For example, Traps) to be able to venture outside.

I think a compromise can be made here. I would propose that chests continue to be protected but we allow the destroyable block rule. That means that camping in a base is now a little harder to do but you know that no matter what your items are safe if you're the only one on.

If no one agrees with me on this and they want to keep these updates then I would recommend a global message when someone breaks a block on enemy faction land eg, "GavMcG (MnC) broke a block in AWE", just like the messages we used to have when we found diamond.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I think a compromise can be made here. I would propose that chests continue to be protected but we allow the destroyable block rule. That means that camping in a base is now a little harder to do but you know that no matter what your items are safe if you're the only one on.

If no one agrees with me on this and they want to keep these updates then I would recommend a global message when someone breaks a block on enemy faction land eg, "GavMcG (MnC) broke a block in AWE", just like the messages we used to have when we found diamond.

Has that diamond message been added ? Thought it was only an idea?

This is the wrong approach, I am sorry but maybe it is because you have not been playing much. Large factions could live in a single chunk easily, Not only that but they will have already claimed all the land they need! Increasing the price to 1 Million per chunk would do nothing to solve the problem. Everyone agrees that a 5 member limit is needed.

You are approaching this the wrong way. There are two ways for factions to do things.

If factions claim most of the land available to them:
    -Faction members can mine safely in claimed land
    -Can make a large town safely.
    -Members can have their own houses and land
    -Much higher risk of losing land during wartime

If you only claim the minimum amount of land:
    -No safety for faction members mining/building outside of claimed land.
    -Faction members can't have their own houses or land.
    -Almost no chance of losing claimed land.

If a faction is playing by method 2, they are not going to lose land no matter what limit there is. If factions can live on one chunk, how does a 5 person limit help? You'd need to get 13 kills in order to claim that chunk. By that logic the best limit is to only have single person factions.
    gavmcg92 wrote: »

Good point, fixed.

deconduo wrote: »
    You are approaching this the wrong way. There are two ways for factions to do things.

If factions claim most of the land available to them:
    -Faction members can mine safely in claimed land
    -Can make a large town safely.
    -Members can have their own houses and land
    -Much higher risk of losing land during wartime

The thing is, No one is playing this way, The server is too small to support large factions and as such everyone is just building bunkers. As much as I would love to be able to build and defend an actual city we do not have the population to support more than 1, At a stretch 2 cities.

If we were a bigger server then it would be great, But we are small and as such we have to think small.

• Advertisement

The thing is, No one is playing this way, The server is too small to support large factions and as such everyone is just building bunkers. As much as I would love to be able to build and defend an actual city we do not have the population to support more than 1, At a stretch 2 cities.

If we were a bigger server then it would be great, But we are small and as such we have to think small.

Ok cities is a bit of a stretch, maybe a hamlet ;), but there is nothing stopping you from claiming land for your own house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement