Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Not sure on exactly what went on with the contracts for difference,back to back loans,secret meetings between Cowen,Fitzpatrick and the other bankers and politicians.I will watch with interest as it all unfolds.Few things I feel very sure on.
    Quinn is not as guilty as he is being painted but is still up to his neck in dodgy dealings.
    Cowen,Lenihan and the bankers were not as innocent as they would have us believe but were up to thier necks in dodgy dealings.
    Quinns case against the bank will decide the whole thing,if he wins and isnt liable for the billions owed I wonder who will end up with the tab??.

Interesting reading about some of what went on.......http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=2502&highlight=Norris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

lazygal wrote: »
    So, was anyone actually AT the rally?

5,000 according to Breaking News.

So by their standards of investigative journalism & accuracies that could mean anything from 1 to 1 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anro wrote: »
    What does that have to do with the rally?
    I'm sick and tired of misinformed people hopping on the hate bandwagon based on what they hear and read in the bias and propaganda driven media.

Also what do you mean exactly by "he recklessly ran his company." I see you repeating the phrase multiple times without elaboration.
    Perhaps you mean he built his company from the ground, literally. He started with a shovel and in 40 odd years he built a multi-million euro enterprise employing thousands throughout Ireland. In which case "recklessly" has the opposite meaning of the word you are looking for.

Insurance companies are required to keep cash reserves for the eventuallity of haveing to pay out a large amount of claims (all policies I think) . Quinn just said "**** that " and ran his company with out bothering to do that. Thats reckless because if a too many claims came in at once the company would have folded and all those people that love him so much would be on th edole straight away and a large number of the claims would go unsettled.

The other insurance companies had to abide by the rules but Quinn figured the rules didnt apply to him. He was gambling with all your jobs and futures as well as the finances of peopel that had Quinn policies.

Take your head out of the sand, the man couldnt give two ****s about you or the rest of the Cavan people. I'm sure he's gettign a great laugh out of all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He created jobs in 'da area' and he likes The Gah so everything is OK

Sweet lantern Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Quinns case against the bank will decide the whole thing,if he wins and isnt liable for the billions owed I wonder who will end up with the tab??.

We're already paying for part of the mess via the levy on our insurance bills.
    If he wins his case, you and I will just get shafted further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Compo82

This rally is truly embarrassing for Ireland and especially for the people of Cavan. They say there is a urban / rural divide on this issue but I'm from the country and follow Gaa, and I believe that the law is the law whether you like it or not. It true he built up in a company from the ground but he was also known to take shortcuts when it suited him. He created jobs in an area where there were no jobs but he took a commercial risk on buying shares in Anglo through contracts for difference. How he funded the purchase is another issue which will be dealt with at another time. What he did putting the assets outside the control of the bank was wrong and he should be punished accordingly for it. Every working person in Ireland will pay for this for years to come through taxes. I can't understand how these people who attended the rally just don't seem to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lazygal wrote: »
    Many well known GAA figures addressed the crowd at last night's demonstration, with Tyrone Manager Mickey Harte describing the Quinn family as "decent people".

From Broadsheet.ie http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-march-in-support-of-quinn-family-561111.html

Will there be GAA figures addressing crowds when masses of "decent people" are unable to pay their debts/mortgages/insurance levies/property taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

Insurance companies are required to keep cash reserves for the eventuallity of haveing to pay out a large amount of claims (all policies I think) . Quinn just said "**** that " and ran his company with out bothering to do that. Thats reckless because if a too many claims came in at once the company would have folded and all those people that love him so much would be on th edole straight away and a large number of the claims would go unsettled.

The other insurance companies had to abide by the rules but Quinn figured the rules didnt apply to him. He was gambling with all your jobs and futures as well as the finances of peopel that had Quinn policies.

Take your head out of the sand, the man couldnt give two ****s about you or the rest of the Cavan people. I'm sure he's gettign a great laugh out of all of this.

1. FYI I'm not from Cavan
    2. Quinn Insurance still had enough cash in reserves to meet european requirement and would have no doubt quickly rebuilt their reserves to meet Irish requirements too. It was a highly successfull profit making company.
    I believe (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe I am) Liberty insurance does not have the correct amout in their reserves to meet Irish requirements should they not be prosecuted?
    3. Who exactly gets a great laugh out of being backrupt having a corrupt banking system and govenrment constantly trying to break you financially and emotionally (by putting your son in jail) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I see Sean Kelly, FG MEP, has also lent his support to this rally. I trust Enda will be distancing himself from such comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

3. Who exactly gets a great laugh out of being backrupt having a corrupt banking system and govenrment constantly trying to break you financially and emotionally (by putting your son in jail) ?

It was the High Court of this state which ordered his son to be jailed.

But the son, by his actions, is responsible for his being in jail.

• Advertisement

uriah wrote: »
    It was the High Court of this state which ordered his son to be jailed.

Was it really though? Why was Michael Ring(TD Fine Gael) overheard saying in relation to Quinns case "We'll make an example out of him."
    Begs the question whether it’s a judicial judgement or a political judgement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Fr Brian D'Arcy is doing a great job of making a complete joke of the RC church in Ireland.
    Ratzinger needs to act quick and act fast to get rid of that idiot, for the church to even hope it has some credibility for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I have an idea. The people from Cavan want to support him so much, how about this. Those 5000 people and the GAA can pay the insurance levy for the rest of us? That sound fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I'm sickened reading a lot of the posts here - the vast majority of Anti Quinn posts are ill informed & trotting out confused but venomous drivel. This is the real shame - the ignorance & arrogance of these people who instead of informing themselves & possibly thereby learning from the mistakes of the past just get half the story & much of even that backwards & spout a load of nonsense.

For the record I have no affiliation or connection to the Quinns, Cavan or anything else connected to them.

I just took the time to get the facts straight unlike a lot of people here.

Sean Quinn didn't run his business into the ground, isn't responsible for Anglo & the bailout, and his nephew has always lived in Fermanagh!

As for the levy on your car insurance - we've been paying a levy since the mid 80's on that. The govt put it up about three years ago just to raise more money, then again last year & blamed Quinn - a handy scapegoat no more. If you understood insurance co accounts you'd understand the justification for this levy was rubbish & just a further money grab at an opertunistic time by the government when they could blame someone else.

Regardless of the Quinn hate.

He has to play by the rules like the rest of us. If I started trying to hide my assets from my creditors and the courts I'd go to jail too. The fact he created thousands of jobs doesn't put him above the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ferike1 wrote: »

He has to play by the rules like the rest of us. If I started trying to hide my assets from my creditors and the courts I'd go to jail too. The fact he created thousands of jobs doesn't put him above the law.

Sadly some posters here don't get that - or want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

panda100 wrote: »
    Fr Brian D'Arcy is doing a great job of making a complete joke of the RC church in Ireland.
    Ratzinger needs to act quick and act fast to get rid of that idiot, for the church to even hope it has some credibility for future generations.

Way ahead of you, the Vatican slapped him down a few months ago

From wiki
    he was warned in April 2012 that he must now submit his writings and broadcasts to an official censor

He's a rouge, he's a rebel

Anyone who writes for the Sunday World can't exactly ask to be taken seriously

onimpulse wrote: »

Sean Quinn didn't run his business into the ground, isn't responsible for Anglo & the bailout, and his nephew has always lived in Fermanagh!

It was just a happy coincidence that a group came along, borrowed money fromt he bank and bought his shares off him for nearly €500m, then dissappeared in to the night leaving the money to be paid by no one.

onimpulse wrote: »

As for the levy on your car insurance - we've been paying a levy since the mid 80's on that. .

So its ok Quinn cost us more because someone else did it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Way ahead of you, the Vatican slapped him down a few months ago

He's a rouge, he's a rebel

Anyone who writes for the Sunday World can't exactly ask to be taken seriously

Taking backhanders for sayin' quicker masses......

Biggins wrote: »
    Sadly some posters here don't get that - or want to!
    As the debts are not proven I don't think they would deserve jail until suchtime which the debts are proven.
    I would also like to point out that Anglo had once said that they would only strip someone’s assets as a last resort; Quinn’s was taken as a first resort.

• Advertisement

I would also like to point out that Anglo had once said that they would only strip someone’s assets as a last resort; Quinn’s was taken as a first resort.

Not quick enough obviously because he tried to hide them.

He's not some bloody Marytr surviving on the dole and tryign desperately to hold on to the family terraced house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Vicxas wrote: »
    So they're supporting a fella who drove more than one multi million euro business' into the ground, and then tried to hide money from his creditors......

What the FCUK is wrong with Ireland.

Business that he created from scratch. Look at the amount of people he employed in that area.

So its ok Quinn cost us more because someone else did it too?

It was a ploy by the government to raise money while making Quinn look likea thief. A perfect way to get the "taxpayer" on the government’s sideof this conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

The Quinn's have a 2.2 billion euro judgement registered against them in the High Court which we are on the hook for.This equals three Paediatric hospitals.

Sean Quinn has admitted keeping assets away from Anglo on radio over the weekend.He is the salting away rental money from these properties to obscure overseas accounts (35million per annum has been mentioned)

These people make Flynn and Lowry look like boy scouts!

If he only had a few hundred to his name we would all be up in arms about how they tried to seize all he has behind his back. That works both ways too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As the debts are not proven I don't think they would deserve jail until suchtime which the debts are proven.

They were not taken as a first resort.

They were previously requested to fulfil some obligations, they decided to ignore these and do whatever the hell they liked - as we found out later, they were too busy money and asset moving around, to actually do what they were supposed to be doing, even as requested prior to court demand and then with court demand!
    ...So the court had to further step in.
    Even then they defied the court (and still do with on officially - and illegally - on the run).

They broke the law - they have defied the court multiple times - they have failed to supply requested requested information - they have lied to the courts and even have had the balls (on video) to say that they would do it and not lose sleep over it (paraphrasing).

I said it before and I'll say it again:
    I understand that he did some local good - so did Mr Ahern, so did Charles Haughty, and many more...

...That does not give them a "get out of jail" card or not for being answerable for their antics which as an after-effect will be costing the state (you and I) a Billion Euro, besides the huge loss of jobs they have brought about too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Up to now I didn't know much about Cavan, now I know there is at least 4000 fools living there.....:rolleyes:

Biggins wrote: »
    besides the huge loss of jobs they have brought about too!
    You do realise that they actually created jobs! The jobs they created would still be there if it wasn't for the recession. If the government and Anglo hadn't acted they way they did another generation would be employed by Quinn Group in a few years. This 2 billion wasn't private profit, it was operating capital before the gov tried to strip assets. Sean Quinn was a very rich man and its great to see a more level playing field but things shouldn't have happened the way they did.

If he only had a few hundred to his name we would all be up in arms about how they tried to seize all he has behind his back. That works both ways too.

But someone with a couple hundred wouldn't be creating paper companies for the sake of fooling the courts and making it hard to get at his assets. We are talking about the law here not about fairness.

• Advertisement

But someone with a couple hundred wouldn't be creating paper companies for the sake of fooling the courts and making it hard to get at his assets. We are talking about the law here not about fairness.

I would have the cash hidden in my parents house or whatever. That is the equivalent of Sean's case.

Advertisement