Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Thousands march in support of Quinn family

Around 5,000 people took to the streets of Ballyconnell in Co. Cavan last night, to show their support for the bankrupt businessman, Sean Quinn and his family.

Mr Quinn, the former head of the Quinn Group, his son Sean Junior, and his nephew Peter Darragh Quinn have all been before the High Court in recent months, in relation to debts owed to Anglo Irish Bank.

Last night's rally was organised by the group, Concerned Irish Citizens, who are demanding the suspension of the contempt orders issued against the three Quinn men.

Sean Quinn Junior and Peter Darragh Quinn have been sentenced to three months in jail for contempt of court.

However, only Sean Junior is serving his sentence, as Peter Darragh Quinn has been on the run since he failed to show up at the High Court hearing on July 20.

Meanwhile Sean Quinn Senior has been given time by the High Court to reverse a scheme aimed at preventing Anglo Irish Bank from accessing assets.

Many well known GAA figures addressed the crowd at last night's demonstration, with Tyrone Manager Mickey Harte describing the Quinn family as "decent people".

An emotional Sean Quinn Senior also addressed the crowd saying an "untrue story is being told" but that "hopefully justice will prevail", and he thanked the local people for all their support:

Peter Darragh Quinn remains at large, but he was photographed over the weekend, attending two separate GAA matches in Co. Fermanagh.

A warrant has been issued for his arrest, but the PSNI cannot intervene as he is only wanted on civil charges in the Republic of Ireland.

Speaking over the weekend, Sean Quinn Senior again insisted he has no idea where his nephew is.

From Broadsheet.ie http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-march-in-support-of-quinn-family-561111.html

Maybe someone could tell The Quinn where is nephew is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Were you? Pffft lazy girl

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Nope. To many potholes up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ah well, if the GAA say they're decent people then they must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I wasnt far away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The man seems to be a God up there

It's not strange, you'll find people in Castlebar who won't hear a bad word about the Flynns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Micky harte,colm o'rourke,sean boylan were there also,It looks like some of the top men of the GAA are supporting the quinns. Sean quinn for sam i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It might be worth checking out the finances of those wagons who organise "Concerned Irish Citizens". I've never known cavan people to be concerned about anything without first recieving some coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So they're supporting a fella who drove more than one multi million euro business' into the ground, and then tried to hide money from his creditors......

What the FCUK is wrong with Ireland.

Just to throw a tool in the works, i know a lot of people are hating on sean and the boy's but he did create a serious amount of job's in that region, and has always keep those job's there, unlike other companies like Dell etc who pulled out once the Gov stopped offering them tax breaks and incentives to stay ...

I for one dont blame him and his family for attempting to save there business...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Vicxas wrote: »
    So they're supporting a fella who drove more than one multi million euro business' into the ground, and then tried to hide money from his creditors......

What the FCUK is wrong with Ireland.

If I had millions I'd do the same lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

No because I was too busy earning money to pay for the levy on my car insurance that is a direct result of this man's gambling .

He should be behind bars .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Listening to this on the radio now, fvckin thicks.

unlike other companies like Dell etc who pulled out once the Gov stopped offering them tax breaks and incentives to stay ...

Dell still employ 1,000 people here

And Dell were there for decades

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

mikemac1 wrote: »

And didn't actively put assets beyond the reach of the state, try to take over a bank and take out loans to buy shares in the same bank, pretend that a wife was clueless about being a director of loads of companies, wasn't found guilty of contempt of court.......

How many do they not employ ?? and I'm using Dell as one example

How many do they not employ ??

Come in, provide jobs for a few decades, leave and everyone hates you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just to throw a tool in the works, i know a lot of people are hating on sean and the boy's but he did create a serious amount of job's in that region, and has always keep those job's there, unlike other companies like Dell etc who pulled out once the Gov stopped offering them tax breaks and incentives to stay ...

I for one dont blame him and his family for attempting to save there business...

I hope you still say that when you're looking at the line item on your insurance quote that consists of a levy to prop up those jobs as a result of his financial misadventures.

Come in, provide jobs for a few decades, leave and everyone hates you

Fundamentally that's why Sean has the backing in the region !! he's always been there, constantly creating job's in an area that's never had feck all ..
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I hope you still say that when you're looking at the line item on your insurance quote that consists of a levy to prop up those jobs as a result of his financial misadventures.

I fail to see you're point, are you implying the Gov will impose an insurance based levy to subsidise the quinn employee's, or that Libery insurance will impose a levy on it's policies ?

I fail to see you're point, are you implying the Gov will impose an insurance based levy to subsidise the quinn employee's, or that Libery insurance will impose a levy on it's policies ?

The levy is already in place. Every single one of us who takes out an insurance policy is paying a levy to make up for the collapse of Quinn.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/insurance-levy-to-pay-for-620m-quinn-loss-2629163.html

The levy is already in place. Every single one of us who takes out an insurance policy is paying a levy to make up for the collapse of Quinn.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/insurance-levy-to-pay-for-620m-quinn-loss-2629163.html

At least there's still jobs right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

So the main argument here seems to be "ah sure he did so much good, so we can't blame him for doing something bad."

Yeah .... ok...

At least there's still jobs right ?

Why the hell should I subsidize jobs with an insurance company I don't even use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Michael Lowry and Jackie Haely-Rae supporters would be all proud of the Cavan supporters, sure isn't backing the local tribesman more important than anything else? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bogger's tend to rally around their chieftains, especially when the meedja are after them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was shocked and sickened by this protest. What the hell is wrong with those morons? Are they all inbred or just fricking thick? They can't all be riding their sisters and mothers up that part of the country. Gombeenism at its finest, no wonder we're a laughing stock to the rest of the world. Its true, strange things go on in the countryside.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Just to throw a tool in the works, i know a lot of people are hating on sean and the boy's but he did create a serious amount of job's in that region, and has always keep those job's there,

So he gave people an income and had shares in a bank which was all too happy to lend to those same people to buy houses which he happens to sell materials to build and policies to insure. The bank collapses (largely to do with quinns stupidity) and throws away the Quinn jobs as he got too wreckless and greedy. Everyones now stuck with mortgages they can't pay and the government had to bail out the jobs by taxing the entire industry and bail out the bank too. He's not the messiah, he simply wanted to empower himself and his family and he didn't care how many lives he destroyed financially to achieve it. If the government didn't bail out Cavan and the banks, would people up there still love Sean Quinn so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

Bambi wrote: »
    Bogger's tend to rally around their chieftains, especially when the meedja are after them

And the DeeFore meedja at that. We'll show them city-slickers

Bambi wrote: »
    newport2 wrote: »
    And the DeeFore meedja at that. We'll show them city-slickers

Aye, Frank twenty houses Fahy, Ray Burke, Martin Cullen, dirty Phil Hogan, O'Dea and I can't think of a Corkonian but that's five cities covered

All elected multiple times, lots of support

Boggers you say :rolleyes:

Why the hell should I subsidize jobs with an insurance company I don't even use?

Dont get me wrong chief, i don't enjoy subsidising any body's income..
    So he gave people an income and had shares in a bank which was all too happy to lend to those same people to buy houses which he happens to sell materials to build and policies to insure. The bank collapses (largely to do with quinns stupidity) and throws away the Quinn jobs as he got too wreckless and greedy. Everyones now stuck with mortgages they can't pay and the government had to bail out the jobs by taxing the entire industry and bail out the bank too. He's not the messiah, he simply wanted to empower himself and his family and he didn't care how many lives he destroyed financially to achieve it. If the government didn't bail out Cavan and the banks, would people up there still love Sean Quinn so much?

I must have missed the part where Sean Quinn was managing Anglo ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Mickey Harte bamboozles me utterly, where is his head at getting involved in this?

Advertisement