Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aye, Frank twenty houses Fahy, Ray Burke, Martin Cullen, dirty Phil Hogan and I can't think of a Corkonian but that's five cities covered

All elected multiple times, lots of support

Boggers you say :rolleyes:

Well, one city and four towns.

But appart from that, you're absolutely right, those supporters were no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I must have missed the part where Sean Quinn was managing Anglo ?

Nobody put a gun to his head to borrow money from Anglo to buy shares in the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

newport2 wrote: »
    Well, one city and four towns.

Yes, Waterford is Ireland's oldest city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aye, Frank twenty houses Fahy, Ray Burke, Martin Cullen, dirty Phil Hogan, O'Dea and I can't think of a Corkonian but that's five cities covered

Ya did'nt see any local rallies for the Burker when he was up in court did ya?

The rest are all boggers btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Heroditas wrote: »
    Nobody put a gun to his head to borrow money from Anglo to buy shares in the bank.

By that argument, you could say, nobody put a gun to anyone's head and made them take out mortgages ..

The thread's about the rally, it's not about if he's right or wrong, my point is simple, he's go the support of the people because he provided constant job's in the area when others didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I must have missed the part where Sean Quinn was managing Anglo ?
    I missed the part where Quinn was kidnapped, brought to anglo HQ and had a gun put to his head to buy all those shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

How many do they not employ ?? and I'm using Dell as one example

Seriously?
    What's the amount of people in Ireland minus 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Aye, Frank twenty houses Fahy, Ray Burke, Martin Cullen, dirty Phil Hogan, O'Dea and I can't think of a Corkonian but that's five cities covered

And let's not forget that two of the biggest crooks in Irish political history, namely Bertie Ahern & Charles Haughey, were both elected from the Dublin constituencies, not once, not twice, but a total of five times between them.

Some people go on about "Parish Pump Politics" and "Gombeenery" as if it were something that is exclusive to the country, while conveniently forgetting that the Dublin electorate suffers from exactly the amount of political naivety as the rest of the country, if not more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm suspicious of all this hoo ha. People are paying too much attention to sean quinn and not enough attention on the rest of the pack. Seems like a smoke screen.

I missed the part where Quinn was kidnapped, brought to anglo HQ and had a gun put to his head to buy all those shares.

It's only business ...
    Seriously?
    What's the amount of people in Ireland minus 1000

apologies perhaps my cryptic reply wasnt clear enough, dell dropped around 1900 staff .. and moved to Poland correct ?

Again i'm using Dell as an example, there's been plenty of other companies to do the same ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I was sick reading about that. Fr Brian Darcy is after going right down in my estimation too. But then again think of the gimps in Kerry who shook the hand of the rapist. I'm from the "country" but we're not all simple enough to do stupid things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's reassuring to know I can pretty much piss on the laws of a country and its law abiding citizens, as long as I keep a region of it employed.

By that argument, you could say, nobody put a gun to anyone's head and made them take out mortgages ..

Correct.
    However, there's nothing underhanded or shady with most people taking out mortgages.
    Borrowing money from an institution to prop up its share price is a different matter.

Correct.
    However, there's nothing underhanded or shady with most people taking out mortgages.
    Borrowing money from an institution to prop up its share price is a different matter.
    there is actually...giving people 100% mortgages and sexing up their incomes to get them higher mortgages should have been criminal.

It's only business ...

apologies perhaps my cryptic reply wasnt clear enough, dell dropped around 1900 staff .. and moved to Poland correct ?

Again i'm using Dell as an example, there's been plenty of other companies to do the same ..
    i think they shafted poland too....took the tax breaks and moved to china

Correct.
    there is actually...giving people 100% mortgages and sexing up their incomes to get them higher mortgages should have been criminal.

I said most people.
    There's always a percentage who will be dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just to throw a tool in the works, i know a lot of people are hating on sean and the boy's but he did create a serious amount of job's in that region,.

H echeated and didnt obey the rules that other businesses had to . It's easier to build a business and vreate job when your cheating and everyone else is playing by the rules.

i think they shafted poland too....took the tax breaks and moved to china

As i said previously, it's only business ...

Absolutely.

But the vast majority of mortgage holders are accepting responsibility for the mistake they made and doing their best to repay their mortgages, without trying to play the victim card, hide money away and make the taxpayer foot the bill for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How many do they not employ ?? and I'm using Dell as one example

Most of the staff from Dell Limerick got well above what they deserved in redundancy packages.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Most of the staff from Dell Limerick got well above what they deserved in redundancy packages.

I dont think that's the point tho ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

i always suspected Cavan folks were a bit slow.

Show Time wrote: »
    great logic there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Fûck the Quinns...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd have a bit of respect for the Quinn family if they hadn't tried to fnck the state over when everything went pear-shaped. Businesses fail, economies hit recession. He had created lots of jobs, putting a lot of people's kids through college.

But when things got hard the entire family seemed surprised that they would have to comply with Irish law and their illusion of being untouchable tycoons was spoiled. But rather than do it, they basically gave two fingers to the entire state and Peter Darragh Quinn still gives two fingers to the entire state.

That taints their entire history because it shows that when things get tough, they do whatever it takes to look after themselves. So they didn't create jobs and businesses out of some loyalty to Cavan or Ireland. They did it to make money, and they happily took those jobs away again to try and save their money. Anyone who supports the Quinns is doing so out of a misguided loyalty to capitalists who played the "we love our people" game, but were very quick to screw over "their people" when their own personal money was at stake.

They've played the Irish people for fools.

seamus wrote: »
    I'd have a bit of respect for the Quinn family if they hadn't tried to fnck the state over when everything went pear-shaped. Businesses fail, economies hit recession. He had created lots of jobs, putting a lot of people's kids through college.

But when things got hard the entire family seemed surprised that they would have to comply with Irish law and their illusion of being untouchable tycoons was spoiled. But rather than do it, they basically gave two fingers to the entire state and Peter Darragh Quinn still gives two fingers to the entire state.

That taints their entire history because it shows that when things get tough, they do whatever it takes to look after themselves. So they didn't create jobs and businesses out of some loyalty to Cavan or Ireland. They did it to make money, and they happily took those jobs away again to try and save their money. Anyone who supports the Quinns is doing so out of a misguided loyalty to capitalists who played the "we love our people" game, but were very quick to screw over "their people" when their own personal money was at stake.

They've played the Irish people for fools.

+1 Great post, sums it up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Show Time wrote: »

In all fairness Dallas was massive in rural area's and probably burned itself into their subconscious, the quinns are as close to the ewing's as your average cavanman will ever see I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

if those 5000 people want to show their support for the Quinns, then let THEM take on the burden of the debt that the rest of the nation was saddled with.

Let them pay back the money, and let me keep mine, without having to 'support' a family who don't have the decency or respect for this country to purge their contempt of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

R0ot wrote: »
    So the main argument here seems to be "ah sure he did so much good, so we can't blame him for doing something bad."

Yeah .... ok...
    He fixed the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So he gave people an income and had shares in a bank which was all too happy to lend to those same people to buy houses which he happens to sell materials to build and policies to insure. The bank collapses (largely to do with quinns stupidity) and throws away the Quinn jobs as he got too wreckless and greedy. Everyones now stuck with mortgages they can't pay and the government had to bail out the jobs by taxing the entire industry and bail out the bank too. He's not the messiah, he simply wanted to empower himself and his family and he didn't care how many lives he destroyed financially to achieve it. If the government didn't bail out Cavan and the banks, would people up there still love Sean Quinn so much?
    he's a very naughty boy

Advertisement