Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    FTP into your box and go to usr/share/enigma2 and then just delete the skin you installed and it will then revert to your default skin

That worked perfect thanks, I was going to back it up and try tomorrow when the TV wasn't in use.
    Leiva wrote: »
    If I install, configure and customise one box using Pogs excellent guide can I copy and flash a second or third box with the same exact config, or do I need to build each one individually?

Yep, I have done it with a few. You'll need to customise the backup utility to have it backing up /usr/bin, /usr/local/share/enigma2, /var/crossepg/ and /var/keys/ and any other directories that you configured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would going with the T2 version be a wise move?

Any recommendations on who is competitively priced in Irl ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Will be buying one of these in the near future whenever i can get the money together, would it be possible for someone who owns one of these to make a quick video just showing the menus and features like Rte player etc. Have looked around the net but not much on YouTube or the like. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

zefer wrote: »
    Yep that plugin is there in spark alright.
    The box is very slow to react in Enigma, is that normal? Both on remote and direct on box controls.? I might re-flash now that I can get into Spark if it isnt normal

My box was very laggy when I first installed it. A re-flash fixed the issue. I was then flashing a box about two weeks ago for a mate and the very same thing happened - needed a second flash to then work as expected.

Every box I've flashed I've had to flash twice and was perfect after the second flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

championc wrote: »
    My box was very laggy when I first installed it. A re-flash fixed the issue. I was then flashing a box about two weeks ago for a mate and the very same thing happened - needed a second flash to then work as expected.

Yeh I've reflashed it and seems much more responsive now alright

Does this box allow you to start watching a recording before the recording has finished like on the upc boxes?

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Does this box allow you to start watching a recording before the recording has finished like on the upc boxes?

Yes, if the drive you're saving is fast enough. YMMV

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Yes, if the drive you're saving is fast enough. YMMV
    Would the likes of this be up to it do you think?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/seagate-500gb-expansion-usb-3-0-2-5--portable-hard-drive-black-7SCC.html?refs=50410&src=2

I have no idea. Usb 3.0 is the speed of the interface, they give no specs for the drive it contains. Someone with one may know better. You would be better to use a self powered drive or add a powered Usb hub so you're not drawing power from the Usb slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Yep, I have done it with a few. You'll need to customise the backup utility to have it backing up /usr/bin, /usr/local/share/enigma2, /var/crossepg/ and /var/keys/ and any other directories that you configured

Can you describe how exactly this is done? That backup and customise the backup.

givecredit wrote: »
    Can you describe how exactly this is done? That backup and customise the backup.

Menu-->plugins-->software management-->advanced options-->choose backup files

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Flash would be the quickest option though. A good Class SD card with reasonable storage like 32-64 should suffice. You can ad a drive if your card gets full. But flash is the fastest option provided you get a decent class card.

listermint wrote: »

Flash would be the quickest option though. A good Class SD card with reasonable storage like 32-64 should suffice. You can ad a drive if your card gets full. But flash is the fastest option provided you get a decent class card.
    How many hours recording would a 32gb card give? I would imagine it would fill up fairly quickly.

How many hours recording would a 32gb card give? I wouldn't imagine it would fill up fairly quickly.

~4GB per hour in HD

Havent had chance to test yet but does the "remote eye" work?

Havent had chance to test yet but does the "remote eye" work?

What remote eye?

What remote eye?

Sorry I mean the little "remote eye" that lets you hide box in cupboard or whatever while still being able to change channel by pointing remote at a "remote eye" sensor

Sorry I mean the little "remote eye" that lets you hide box in cupboard or whatever while still being able to change channel by pointing remote at a "remote eye" sensor

Which one comes with a remote eye? I've not come across one with the few Alien 2's i've handled but I have seen it with an Amiko HD mini. There is nowhere to plug in a remote eye on mine. Has it been added to newer models?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How many hours recording would a 32gb card give? I would imagine it would fill up fairly quickly.

Well tbh the standard sky plus box (white one) has a 20Gb hard drive. So no not really. Unless you are going HD mad which in that case. HD can be anything from 1GB -4GB for whatever your recording.

Ive a 32Gb in my mothers and it works just fine.

As i said if you are recording mad (and want to save permanently) then use a cheap hard drive to transfer historical records to. But for best pause and record the flash is the quickest option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is it easy enough to mount my Buffalo NAS in Enigma2 to store recordings on?

Leiva wrote: »
    Is it easy enough to mount my Buffalo NAS in Enigma2 to store recordings on?

Some have had difficulty, I don't need it. There was network mount plugin posted a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dr_funk

Just wanted to say thanks to all for this great thread, and especially to Pog for the setup guide! I ordered an Alien2 yesterday from satworld, it arrived this morning, and I now have it more or less set up.

What a great box! PQ is superb, I figured out how to get 5.1 audio working, and I can't believe I have a working 7 day EPG!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭championc

dr_funk wrote: »
    I figured out how to get 5.1 audio working

I never realised it isn't working by default. What do I need to do ?

championc wrote: »
    I never realised it isn't working by default. What do I need to do ?

I think the box is set to downmix to AC3 2.0 by default

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Just wanted to say thanks to all for this great thread, and especially to Pog for the setup guide! I ordered an Alien2 yesterday from satworld, it arrived this morning, and I now have it more or less set up.

What a great box! PQ is superb, I figured out how to get 5.1 audio working, and I can't believe I have a working 7 day EPG!

Dr is Satworld the cheapest place you found selling the box? Im looking to buy one shortly.
    cheers

I think the box is set to downmix to AC3 2.0 by default

Yep, that's it. Go to menu->setup->system->A/V settings, set audio source to SPDIF, and AC3/DTS downmix to 'no'.

I'm also finding the automatic volume adjustment to be excellent, even though I had initially disabled it. AC3 audio tends to be quieter than 2 ch MPEG, and the default setting of +30 for AC3 is pretty much bang on for my audio system...

Dr is Satworld the cheapest place you found selling the box? Im looking to buy one shortly.
    cheers

Hi Ronan, I don't know if they are the cheapest, but they were recommended by a trusted friend, so I went with them.

I also happened to phone them after I placed the order onlline, to ask about courier delivery. And it's just as well that I did, because I was told that they have some boxes pre-configured as Spark/E2 dual boot, and did I want one?

Of course I did! And I'm a VERY happy camper now, because the box arrived this morning, and booted straight into E2 HDMU! :)

I reckon that saved me a huge amount of messing around, because I'm new to Linux, and I was able to go directly to tuning, plugins and configuration without having to deal with OS flashing.

Getting the hang of FTP and Telnet into a Linux box was enough new stuff for one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Hi Ronan, I don't know if they are the cheapest, but they were recommended by a trusted friend, so I went with them.

I also happened to phone them after I placed the order onlline, to ask about courier delivery. And it's just as well that I did, because I was told that they have some boxes pre-configured as Spark/E2 dual boot, and did I want one?

Of course I did! And I'm a VERY happy camper now, because the box arrived this morning, and booted straight into E2 HDMU! :)

I reckon that saved me a huge amount of messing around, because I'm new to Linux, and I was able to go directly to tuning, plugins and configuration without having to deal with OS flashing.

Getting the hang of FTP and Telnet into a Linux box was enough new stuff for one day!
    Cheers Dr Im sure it will take me some time to get used to the box but by all the comments in here it should be worthwhile process :)

• Advertisement

Cheers Dr Im sure it will take me some time to get used to the box but by all the comments in here it should be worthwhile process :)

Go for it! I was expecting to end up ripping my hair out when I plugged the box in, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well my day went!

I got 95% of the info I needed from this thread, particularly Pog's excellent setup guide. That really was a lifesaver!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement