Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

you mean the alzheimers sufferer who michael moore made out to look a sick **** by editing the film to look like he'd held a gun ralley a week after the columbine massacre?
    **** I hate Michael Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

whiplashed wrote: »
    Some may think I am over-reacting, but I think all countries worldwide should stop screening the movie for a few weeks or so as a mark of respect.
    It's a nice thought.. but it won't happen.

And I don't think it should either.

Some may think I am over-reacting, but I think all countries worldwide should stop screening the movie for a few weeks or so as a mark of respect.

I wouldn't over-reacting, more of a mis-reaction if such a word exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Basq wrote: »
    It's a nice thought.. but it won't happen.

And I don't think it should either.

premier in paris has been cancelled tonight

davet82 wrote: »
    That's due it being a star-studded event (with cast & Nolan due to be there) - Warner Bros probably don't want the press their questioning their opinion of the shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Apparently the Paris première has been cancelled, which I think is good. I don't think they should stop screening the movie, but having a big party over it seems a little wrong.

(though I think I'm probably mis-reacting too)

That's due it being a star-studded event (with cast & Nolan due to be there) - Warner Bros probably don't want the press their questioning their opinion of the shooting.

cant blame them...

i think they've enough coverage of the film to last a lifetime now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Not a good precedent to set. Think of the ramifications, lonely screwed up social misfits will be thinking how their actions can "stop" blockbusters. It also gives credence to the idea that films should be held to blame for the horrific actions of mentally ill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The ultimate question.... is this bad press for the movie? ... or not?

As they say, "there is no bad publicity" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The ultimate question.... is this bad press for the movie? ... or not?

As they say, "there is no bad publicity" :confused:

Well, the movie will be remembered, for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

You are overreacting.

old hippy wrote: »
    Not a good precedent to set. Think of the ramifications, lonely screwed up social misfits will be thinking how their actions can "stop" blockbusters. It also gives credence to the idea that films should be held to blame for the horrific actions of mentally ill people.

it goes ahead and their greedy bastards with no soul, damned if you do, damned if you dont imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

cson wrote: »
    You are overreacting.

If I hadn't seen this this morning, don't think I could enjoy the film seeing it within days of this happening.

Anyone has even seen the trailer should know why that is the case.

No harm can be done by putting the screenings on hold few for just two weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

you mean the alzheimers sufferer who michael moore made out to look a sick **** by editing the film to look like he'd held a gun ralley a week after the columbine massacre?

I had no idea he had Alzheimer's, and I am not a huge Moore fan (although i did like that film, his books are bloody awful).

The thing is, Heston was a member of the NRA and had outspoken right-wingish views loooong before Moore came on the scene.

As in the Charlie Brooker clip posted earlier the advice to "keep the story local" isn't being followed. Quelle surprise.

it goes ahead and their greedy bastards with no soul, damned if you do, damned if you dont imo

Yup. It's a no win situation.

But by focusing on or blaming the film, it takes away from what we should be asking ourselves? How can someone be so alienated and messed up that they would plan something like this?

I had no idea he had Alzheimer's, and I am not a huge Moore fan (although i did like that film, his books are bloody awful).

The thing is, Heston was a member of the NRA and had outspoken right-wingish views loooong before Moore came on the scene.
    He has right-wing views and if he was smart wouldn't have participated. He made comments about America having a history of violence (very fair comment) and being more ethnically mixed as possible reasons for so much gun violence. While he didn't phrase the second point very well it wasn't a big racist comment like it seems due to the atmosphere of the rest of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Feckin' hell!

Although if it was me I'd be afraid to return to the cinema!

Yup. It's a no win situation.

But by focusing on or blaming the film, it takes away from what we should be asking ourselves? How can someone be so alienated and messed up that they would plan something like this?

the media will blur the real issues unfortunatley, which imo is gun control and mental health i suspect

• Advertisement

How can someone be so alienated and messed up that they would plan something like this?

Marilyn Manson. Duh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

the media will blur the real issues unfortunatley, which imo is gun control and mental health i suspect
    It's far to early to know what the "real issues" are, and tbh making pre-emptive judgements about them being gun control and mental health is only further blurring.

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's far to early to know what the "real issues" are, and tbh making pre-emptive judgements about them being gun control and mental health is only further blurring.

And don't forget bad parenting

If anyone wants to start about gun-control answer me this; if there'd been a few dozen of the cinema-goers armed would the scumbag have killed and injured as many people? I'm gonna take a guess that the cinema (assuming the area it was in has liberal carrying laws) was "gun-free", as are most places where such shootings happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No harm can be done by putting the screenings on hold few for just two weeks or so.

I don't think the screenings should be cancelled. Bad things happen everyday all over the world, and life would simply grind to a halt if we were to react in the way you are suggesting.

Also, from what I can see, the people who carry out these atrocities thrive on the power and notoriety that they receive. To halt the opening of one of the biggest movies of the century thusfar would be playing right into his hand. As much as it might be difficult, people not directly affected by the actions, need to go on with their lives as normal.

Being right-wing is not a crime. I'm not referencing you, and I favour gun control, but some people seem instinctively to point the finger at conservatives and the the NRA, while rightly condemning attempts to blame movies, games, Marlyn Manson or whatever.

The finger of blame is always wagging in emotive issues like this.

If anyone wants to start about gun-control answer me this; if there'd been a few dozen of the cinema-goers armed would the scumbag have killed and injured as many people? I'm gonna take a guess that the cinema (assuming the area it was in has liberal carrying laws) was "gun-free", as are most places where such shootings happen.

He was wearing some kind of body armour. The cinema was dark and filled with smoke. Many people reportedly had a delayed reaction, they initially thought it was a stunt or prank. Once people realised what was happening, there was chaos, with people running in front of each other.

So it is naive to think that a load of heros with guns would have reduced the death toll. If anything it may have increased it. A bunch of wannabe Rambos hopped up on fear and adrenalin getting into a gunfight in a crowded cinema is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Buttonftw wrote: »

clearly more guns are the solution. A shootout involving many people rather than judt one person can't end up killing more people.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If I hadn't seen this this morning, don't think I could enjoy the film seeing it within days of this happening.

Anyone has even seen the trailer should know why that is the case.

They've spent hundreds of millions on marketing this film for the past year, other large releases will have avoided being released this weekend or next so they don't have to compete with it. THere's a lot of money riding on the film for the studio, plenty harm could be done in that regard by pulling it from theatres.

It could also be seen as giving in to the nutjob who did this, not to mention make them even more infamous. Cancelling the premiere was fair enough but other than that I think the most respectful thing the distributors can do is to continue screening the film, especially when you consider a lot of the people who died could be big batman fans.

On a more cynical note, controversy is rarely bad business either unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Can understand cancelling the presentation because it's a celebration, a happy event which wouldn't really work now as everyone would be talking about what happened in Denver

Rediculous to suggest the film shouldn't be shown anywhere else though; it's not like anyone is blaming the film makers. Cancelling the film anywhere else wouldn't achieve anything; and the film has nothing to do with happened.

RIP to the people who died. It's very sad. :(

Advertisement