Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

That's for buying, carrying is different. Quick glance on wikipedia says open carry is unlegislated for except where local laws exist, such as Colorado. Permit is required for concealed carry.

The concealed carry law is quite similar in most states. In Colorado you'd need to show proof of a completed handgun training course within the past 10 years, be ex military or police or be a competitor in shooting competitions. Once you can prove you are experienced and competent with a firearm you should get the permit. I only completed my firearm training in Boulder 7 months ago so it's all still fresh in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

old hippy wrote: »
    And there we go. I wonder will that dim the lust of our torture and violent retribution chums?

who knows. I posted a very sensible post earlier on this thread saying that unless something is CONFIRMED it is actually heresay - as well as being called names, told I was trolling, some posters insisted that the baby was shot at point blank.

There is and will be A LOT of heresay on this tragedy - it would be best to wait until stories are actually CONFIRMED before jumping jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Bacchus wrote: »
    Because people want to talk about these things. It's pretty relevant I think. If people want somewhere to just pay respects and post RIP, should there be a separate thread for that?

/BackSeatModding

People bringing up gun control in a thread like this just smacks of people trying to score political points. While I agree that a debate on gun control is warranted in light of this incident, it's probably better waiting a couple of days and having it in a separate thread and possibly in a separate forum such as US Politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

who knows. I posted a very sensible post earlier on this thread saying that unless something is CONFIRMED it is actually heresay - as well as being called names, told I was trolling, some posters insisted that the baby was shot at point blank.

There is and will be A LOT of heresay on this tragedy - it would be best to wait until stories are actually CONFIRMED before jumping jumping to conclusions.

Everybody's a critic these days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

People bringing up gun control in a thread like this just smacks of people trying to score political points.

I dont think anybody here is running for congress as far as i know? :confused:

Start a condolence thread then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

CNN say that the suspect will be in court later today and it will not wait until Monday as previously had been thought.

Colorado University Denver has released info stating that the suspect was a student of neuroscience there from late 2011 before dropping out last month.

People bringing up gun control in a thread like this just smacks of people trying to score political points. While I agree that a debate on gun control is warranted in light of this incident, it's probably better waiting a couple of days and having it in a separate thread and possibly in a separate forum such as US Politics.

I get you, Sury but guns and gun control is so essential and bound to this incident that it's gonna raise its head in discussion. Thread title refers to gunshots, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I disagree. I'm not trying to score political points. I've no interest in such things. I am interested in a discussion about what happened this morning/last night. The discussion has moved on from the initial "what happened!", "many injured?", "have they caught the bad guy?" type of post to what are the possible root causes for such an awful thing to happen. Part of that is guns and it is relevant to discuss them here as part of the greater discussion about what happened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bacchus wrote: »
    Because people want to talk about these things. It's pretty relevant I think. If people want somewhere to just pay respects and post RIP, should there be a separate thread for that?

/BackSeatModding

There's actually a whole forum for that: Book of Condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That 9gag screenshot has no full URL in the address bar.. just 9gag.com.

That alone should be enough to rule it out as fake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

And there we go. I wonder will that dim the lust of our torture and violent retribution chums?

Why do you insist on ignoring opinion in favour of the 'populist retribution' line.

I've already explained how I feel regardless of whether a baby is involved.

No need to be a smartarse. Just accept we don't all care for murderers being treated humanely.

I don't lust after torture either, you seem to be ignoring the point I made earlier (conveniently).

I don't wish for you to agree with me or others, just accept we have different views and stop with the sensationalist posts on how we're after blood etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

FFS. Based on a news report of a woman speaking to a reporter - which I've explained more than once. Quit making things up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Bad Panda wrote: »
    FFS. Based on a news report of a woman speaking to a reporter - which I've explained more than once. Quit making things up yourself.

no, bad panda - it was based on somebody, who had heard it from somebody else, telling a reporter, who posted it.

That is FOUR different parties, none of which were confirmed, saying that infant was shot. It was false - it was never confirmed - it was not fact. Reporters are ordinary joe soaps just like the rest of us - what comes out of their mouths is NOT gospel. Again people need to wait for CONFIRMATION before believing whatever they are told at any given moment

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

This really upset me.

These people were just having a fun night out, probably really excited to see the new Batman movie They had plans and lives and futures.
    The shooter turned what was meant to be a fun night at the cinema into a tragic masacre.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First pictures of the guy

http://f.cl.ly/items/3n1R0k3x2Y0v3m1y3508/Image%202012-07-20%20at%2012.02.05%20PM.png

Appears to be a picture given to the press by the University where he recently dropped out.

Little bit creepy that he appears to be so normal looking. Usually the first pictures we get of these guys are in cuffs and a jumpsuit and they look mental.

seamus wrote: »

http://f.cl.ly/items/3n1R0k3x2Y0v3m1y3508/Image%202012-07-20%20at%2012.02.05%20PM.png

Appears to be a picture given to the press by the University where he recently dropped out.

Little bit creepy that he appears to be so normal looking. Usually the first pictures we get of these guys are in cuffs and a jumpsuit and they look mental.

I hope he rots in prison for the rest of his life. This whole incident and the way he calculated it was just evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I checked the Colorado laws, and the concelead weapon permit only requires that the applicant has completed a "handgun training class".

Which presumably handles things like properly holding & aiming the weapon, checking the safety, not using the gun to picks your ear, etc.

I agree that in general it would be experienced handlers who hold these permits, but people in a crisis can be idiots. Unless they've been specifically trained for combat, they're likely to do more harm than good in situations like this.

On the subject, it would appear that the cops have evacuated the area around this guy's house after saying that the house is rigged with explosives in a "Very sophisticated" manner.
    Sick cvnt was probably hoping that a few cops would go to raid his house and just barge in. That's no doubt why he so readily gave himself up, so he could watch it happen.
    Bit stupid of him to tell the cops about the explosives though, they were hardly gonna kick in the door after that.

Dave! wrote: »
    Bit stupid of him to tell the cops about the explosives though, they were hardly gonna kick in the door after that.

Wouldn't have surprised me if he was bull****ting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It all sounds like he's trying to be a comic book villain type. He'll soon find there's nothing glamorous about the criminal life once he gets inside.

And that's how it begins. People are ostracised and treated differently because they don't appear "normal" or don't fit into the idea of society's norm. What is normal? How can you tell? Is it their mannerisms, their haircuts or the big sign on their shoulders that say "I am completely normal"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say he made a mistake and blurted it out, or maybe he thought they'd already gone off.

Apparently an upstairs neighbour of his rang the cops about ten minutes before the shooting to complain that there was loud music coming from the apartment - a single song on loop. So it may be that he wanted someone to kick in his door and make them appear like separate incidents, spreading fear and panic. Maybe there actually is a Batman link to this?

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Why do you insist on ignoring opinion in favour of the 'populist retribution' line.

I've already explained how I feel regardless of whether a baby is involved.

No need to be a smartarse. Just accept we don't all care for murderers being treated humanely.

I don't lust after torture either, you seem to be ignoring the point I made earlier (conveniently).

I don't wish for you to agree with me or others, just accept we have different views and stop with the sensationalist posts on how we're after blood etc.

Apologies, I must have imagined the calls for rape and other delightful solutions. Oops, there I go, being sensationalist again.

Like babies being shot at point blank range, almost. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

so your disappointed he might have realised what he had just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Wouldn't have surprised me if he was bull****ting.

Agreed, sounds like he was high on his horse before being arrested.

And that's how it begins. People are ostracised and treated differently because they don't appear "normal" or don't fit into the idea of society's norm. What is normal? How can you tell? Is it their mannerisms, their haircuts or the big sign on their shoulders that say "I am completely normal"?

No. They are just projecting. They are only saying that because the saw the picture of him AFTER hearing about what he did.
    I guarante that you could show a picture of anyone and people would say the same thing, because they project what they already know about the crime onto the man's face.

Anyway, this man murdered a twelve year old and then shot a 3 month old baby at point blank range. So forgive me for not giving a sh*t about whether he was an "outcast" or not.

No. They are just projecting. They are only saying that because the saw the picture of him AFTER hearing about what he did.
    I guarante that you could show a picture of anyone and people would say the same thing, because they project what they already know about the crime onto the man's face.

Anyway, this man murdered a twelve year old and then shot a 3 month old baby at point blank range. So forgive me for not giving a sh*t about whether he was an "outcast" or not.

Too much emotiveness and projection, methinks. Not caring about people often leads to this kind of meltdown, sadly.

Did he actually shoot the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What I find most bizzare is that he is was medical PHd student which means he had to be fairly bright. I would say his dropping out is connected to the shooting.

sink wrote: »
    What I find most bizzare is that he is was medical PHd student which means he had to be fairly bright. I would say his dropping out is connected to the shooting.

Josef Mengle, Harold Shipman, the Aum Shinrikyo cult... all very bright... and deadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I've heard a lot of people use other examples such as Norway and some cases in Britain as a reason for justification that guns should be allowed in society because "it happens anywhere". "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" etc. I've heard the Norway case being trotted out as proof somehow that eradicating guns wont solve murders, e.g Anders Breivik like I say in Norway. But the difference being is the actual number of murders that take place in America per year compared to these countries.

We know that there 17,000 murders a year in America, 15,000 of these are results of firearms. Norway has 30 murders year, but the population is much smaller, only 5 million compared to 315 million of the US. But if you compare States of America of a similar size you will see in 2010:

Colorado 117 murders, 65 by firearms.

Alabama 199 murders, 135 by firearms

South Carolina 280 murders, 207 by firearms

Minnesota 91 murders, 53 by firearms

Wisconsin 157 murders, 97 by firearms

Norway 31 murders, 9 by firearms

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

• Advertisement

Too much emotiveness and projection, methinks. Not caring about people often leads to this kind of meltdown, sadly.

Did he actually shoot the baby?

According to news reports he did. The baby was taken into hospital but he/she is okay, thank God.

You think the man did this because people didn't care enough about him? How can you be so sure though?

He murdered a 12 year old boy, who was probably so excited about seeing the new Batman movie and was planning the rest of his weekend with his friends, and thinking about going back to school in September and had a future ahead of him.
    He robbed all those people of their futures.

Advertisement