Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

seamus wrote: »
    One witness claims to have seen someone take a phone call at the start of the movie and leave by the emergency exit, leaving it open.

This is the way the shooter allegedly came in.

Possibly an accomplice, or perhaps the shooter himself had been in the cinema, then pretended to take a call and went out the exit so that he could get back in that way.

His car was parked right beside the exit, so that's what he may have done.

Some witnesses say a lot of things. It may be true but I wouldn't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

ScumLord wrote: »
    But Americas full of just about every culture from around the world and have distinct cultures of their own from state to state. I don't think they're that ignorant of other cultures but that there are many culture clashes due to the melting pot of a country they have.

I accept that point and allude to it in my most recent post. However, I still believe that though different states in America have very different cultures, a lot of core values remain. Of course there are exceptions, Texas and California were quite different, Texans, in general being much more conservative. However, I noticed in California that they were not as opposed to a person's right to bear arms as I would have presumed. As I said, some core values in America resonate throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vague...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Very true. In the wake of the killing of Jean Charles de Menzies (Stockwell, 05) you had people lining up in front of the cameras saying all sorts of blatant untruths. Some people in a panic claim they see all sorts of things and some people like the spotlight for their 15 seconds of fame.

guy headed to ICU has been subdued.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I know you are an infrequent poster on boards.ie, but I strongly encourage you to post more often. Very well said.

Thank you, I do like to read the threads reasonably frequently but often find myself wondering will anything I say change these people's opinon or make them consider being more tactful where their opinion can be publicly viewed. After reading the first few comments in this thread I felt it was too sickening not to weigh in and perhaps there were others who shared my disgust. It is quite heartening to see that the majority of people have expressed concern, sympathy and empathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

old hippy wrote: »
    Very true. In the wake of the killing of Jean Charles de Menzies (Stockwell, 05) you had people lining up in front of the cameras saying all sorts of blatant untruths. Some people in a panic claim they see all sorts of things and some people like the spotlight for their 15 seconds of fame.

Including the police who murdered him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Jake1 wrote: »
    Scanner says report of some distressed parent heading up to scene, possibly with fire arm.

heading to ICU

WTF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

So this individual's freedom would not, in fact, be guaranteed by the American constitution?

He lost his freedom as soon as he decided to rob others of their freedom to live and enjoy their lives. Now the US will punish him and end his life accordingly. Over in this country he would serve a maximum of twenty years and be declared punished and get his freedom back having killed so many people.

America guarantees freedom, but freedom isn't free, no one has the right to go killing people, Guns are for sport and self defense. In Ireland had this happened and some other person had a handgun and shot the murderer in the middle of the killing spree he would be arrested and charged with murder. In this country not only is it practically impossible to get a gun but try to defend yourself or others and you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the law. Commit assault, financial treason or murder someone and you'll get a slap on the wrist at the worst case, rob a loaf of bread to feed your family or break the speed limit and you can expect serious consequences.

There is no justice in Ireland and the policing system here is corrupt to the core. In America this lunatic will get the Death Penalty.

Come on, now. Plenty of folk here and elsewhere are ignorant of other cultures. It's not just confined to some Americans.

While I agree with your point to a certain degree. I have had more luck in other countries than America when referencing other cultures. Again I reiterate that this is just from my personal experience and do of course realise that there are some very intelligent and cultured Americans. I have just noticed that percentage wise they are fewer and further between in America.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Vague...
    This:
    One witness said he had wires and the like hanging out of his belt, multiple witnesses said he was wearing a very bulky jacket when he wasn't etc. Between, as old hippy says, a moment in the spotlight and the stress of such an event witnesses can be very unreliable.

Stinicker wrote: »
    He lost his freedom as soon as he decided to rob others of their freedom to live and enjoy their lives. Now the US will punish him and end his life accordingly. Over in this country he would serve a maximum of twenty years and be declared punished and get his freedom back having killed so many people.

America guarantees freedom, but freedom isn't free, no one has the right to go killing people, Guns are for sport and self defense. In Ireland had this happened and some other person had a handgun and shot the murderer in the middle of the killing spree he would be arrested and charged with murder. In this country not only is it practically impossible to get a gun but try to defend yourself or others and you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the law. Commit assault, financial treason or murder someone and you'll get a slap on the wrist at the worst case, rob a loaf of bread to feed your family or break the speed limit and you can expect serious consequences.

There is no justice in Ireland and the policing system here is corrupt to the core. In America this lunatic will get the Death Penalty.

You're just spouting extreme horseshít to be fair, freedom isn't free? Give me a feckin break.

suspect's mother tells @ABC News "You have the right person... I need to call the police... I need to fly out to Colorado.”

https://twitter.com/gma/status/226294616452898816

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

3 month old, treated and released from hospital, good news!

TheGimp wrote: »
    WTF?

they got him :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Kinda holding back tears now reading the twitter account posted above. Just an excited girl off to the movies with friends. If this happened in Dublin instead of Denver, I wonder would we have so many cool dudes making jokes about it on here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

No but the killing was LOL :rolleyes:

Youngest victim was 3 months old

I am sad i breathe the same air as people like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

That post is absolute rubbish. How exactly is the policing system in Ireland corrupt to the core? And to hold up the US as an example of effective policing, where the number of wrongful deaths and injuries caused by law enforcement is pretty astounding

Executing mentally ill people is your idea of justice? Is that "freedom" being amended to suit?

A little tweak here, a little tweak there and soon we'll have freedom 0.2?

It's hard to believe that people can make jokes about this, especially after finding out a baby had been shot. A f*cking baby. Where on Earth is the humour in that, I ask you?

And it has nothing to do with me lightening up, it has to do with people having common sense and common f*cking decency, which is sorely lacking from the world lately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ghogie91 wrote: »
    FWIW reports now seem to be that the 3 month old is ok, and has possibly been released from hospital.

ghogie91 wrote: »

I am sad i breathe the same air as people like you

You don't. It's an established fact that trolls breathe in and out pure, unrefined bullshyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

genuinely have no idea how people can make jokes about this incident. this story makes me feel sick and so angry, the thought of this sick b@stard killing innocent people is horrendous but killing innocent children is heartbreaking. I really hope this he gets the death penalty

Not trying to be funny but what kind of parent brings a3 month old child to see a film such as this. Its close to 3 hours long and is sure as hell going to be very, very loud and no child would sleep through it.

It's hard to believe that people can make jokes about this, especially after finding out a baby had been shot. A f*cking baby. Where on Earth is the humour in that, I ask you?

And it has nothing to do with me lightening up, it has to do with people having common sense and common f*cking decency, which is sorely lacking from the world lately.

I agree with this one hundred percent, in stark contrast to the Gerry Ryan thread where stupid posts were outlawed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Executing mentally ill people is your idea of justice? Is that "freedom" being amended to suit?

A little tweak here, a little tweak there and soon we'll have freedom 0.2?

I'm not going to argue with you and turn this thread into a debate on the Death Penalty. Lots of people are dead lets just leave it at that, when the dust has settled on the scene will be plenty time to discuss that.

nbar12 wrote: »
    genuinely have no idea how people can make jokes about this incident. this story makes me feel sick and so angry, the thought of this sick b@stard killing innocent people is horrendous but killing innocent children is heartbreaking. I really hope this he gets the death penalty

Why is it more heartbreaking? Are not the adults innocent and undeserving also? Will a state sponsored murder bring about balance and an end to suffering? Or will it just make some people feel good about themselves?

If the perp is sick, mentally ill - is it the right thing to do, take away his life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    3 month old, treated and released from hospital, good news!

I would imagine the rumors about the baby being shot at point blank range are untrue then - I saw a lot of "he said/she said" stories about this baby and no full confirmation from anybody about the baby being shot at point blank range.

It would seem that the severity of the baby's injuries where exaggerated as I don't think a three month old baby shot at point black range would be release from hospital so soon - thankfully the baby is fine now.

I would assume there are plenty of overstated stories and exaggerations on this topic at the moment but remember until something is verified and confirmed by a reliable source, that is all they are at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Not trying to be funny but what kind of parent brings a3 month old child to see a film such as this. Its close to 3 hours long and is sure as hell going to be very, very loud and no child would sleep through it.

was thinking the exact same

• Advertisement

I'm not going to argue with you and turn this thread into a debate on the Death Penalty. Lots of people are dead lets just leave it at that, when the dust has settled on the scene will be plenty time to discuss that.

Instead we should have a discussion on the gun laws or liberalism, would that be more to your liking?

As was your opening salvo concerned with. This freedom you mention, does it extend to discussions on the internet?

Advertisement