Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It was just reported that the killers apartment is booby-trapped with a sophisticated setup... fox news.. http://live.foxnews.com/ I'm late as this has already been reported here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mathie wrote: »
    The real issue in a mass-murder is who brings a 3 month old to the cinema?

Not a fan of the roll eyes boyo but I put him there for a reason.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's far to early to know what the "real issues" are, and tbh making pre-emptive judgements about them being gun control and mental health is only further blurring.

true but i did add imo (in my opinion), i think its quite obvious unless batman made him do it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A fairly high proportion of those who would carry handguns would be well trained to use them.
    Can you back that up?

Considering that as it stands most states allow people to purchase a weapon with nothing more than a background check, I would be surprised if most gun owners in the US would be "well trained" to fire a weapon in a combat situation.

Knowing how to fire a gun at targets or wild animals is one thing. Firing a weapon in combat situations where your life is at risk and every bullet you fire is potentially fatal, is a whole other scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A fairly high proportion of those who would carry handguns would be well trained to use them.

Not that I'm pretending I've first hand experience of this but I don't think you are required to have any training in the States to carry a gun. And those that do have training probably have never dealt with that type of intense scenario before and would be liable to panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

wtf wrong with these people.....

Is it supposed to be funny or some sort of twisted terrorism? Do we get the motive out of the gunners yet??

jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I heard somewhere else that you have to do some training before you are issued a concealed carry permit in Colorado so you're probably right there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Why are there people in this thread worried about spoilers for a film, when there have been so many people injured, and some killed, by somebody with proper issues?

Fuck off tbh. There are more important things in life than a film:mad:

R.I.P. to those killed, and a swift recovery to those who were injured.

seamus wrote: »
    Can you back that up?

Considering that as it stands most states allow people to purchase a weapon with nothing more than a background check, I would be surprised if most gun owners in the US would be "well trained" to fire a weapon in a combat situation.

Knowing how to fire a gun at targets or wild animals is one thing. Firing a weapon in combat situations where your life is at risk and every bullet you fire is potentially fatal, is a whole other scenario.

Getting a gun is easy, it's the carrying permits that are generally harder to get. I don't know each state's laws in and out but concealed permits usually require some kind of training etc. Also in general the kind of law-abiding people who would want a concealed permit would be the kind of people who'd be serious about their guns to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Why are there people in this thread worried about spoilers for a film, when there have been so many people injured, and some killed, by somebody with proper issues?

Fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k off tbh. There are more important things in life than a film:mad:

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement

I heard somewhere else that you have to do some training before you are issued a concealed carry permit in Colorado so you're probably right there.

Did a quick google and found nothing that specifically says you need training in Colorado. Only piece I found relating to it was this...

http://www.coloradoceasefire.org/Col-state.htm
    Colorado - No state requirement that handgun buyers obtain a handgun license or undergo any type of safety training prior to buying a handgun.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Did a quick google and found nothing that specifically says you need training in Colorado. Only piece I found relating to it was this...

That's for buying, carrying is different. Quick glance on wikipedia says open carry is unlegislated for except where local laws exist, such as Colorado. Permit is required for concealed carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Getting a gun is easy, it's the carrying permits that are generally harder to get. I don't know each state's laws in and out but concealed permits usually require some kind of training etc. Also in general the kind of law-abiding people who would want a concealed permit would be the kind of people who'd be serious about their guns to begin with.
    I checked the Colorado laws, and the concelead weapon permit only requires that the applicant has completed a "handgun training class".

Which presumably handles things like properly holding & aiming the weapon, checking the safety, not using the gun to picks your ear, etc.

I agree that in general it would be experienced handlers who hold these permits, but people in a crisis can be idiots. Unless they've been specifically trained for combat, they're likely to do more harm than good in situations like this.

On the subject, it would appear that the cops have evacuated the area around this guy's house after saying that the house is rigged with explosives in a "Very sophisticated" manner.
    Sick cvnt was probably hoping that a few cops would go to raid his house and just barge in. That's no doubt why he so readily gave himself up, so he could watch it happen.

That's for buying, carrying is different. Quick glance on wikipedia says open carry is unlegislated for except where local laws exist, such as Colorado. Permit is required for concealed carry.

Fair enough, it was a fairly quick Googling :cool: So, a permit is required, but is training required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Why do people have to get into a debate about gun control when these incidents happen, instead of simply paying respect to the victims?

RIP to them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Why do people have to get into a debate about gun control when these incidents happen, instead of simply paying respect to the victims?

RIP to them all.

It's teh internet, innit

If more civilians carrying guns was the solution then America would have the lowest rate of shootings and spree shootings in the world.

Bacchus wrote: »

I was referring to concealed carry permits though which anyone in the cinema with a gun would probably have. According to this article:
    Concealed weapons require a permit. The punishment is a Class 2 misdemeanor and the gun is usually confiscated, unless it's on school property, in which case it's a felony. Concealed carry permits are issued by local sheriff's departments and they require the following: the petitioner be a legal resident of the state, be at least 21, doesn't have a record indicating alcohol or drug abuse, demonstrates competency with a firearm. Local law enforcement retain the right to deny concealed carry permits on reasonable doubt.

Fair enough I was incorrect by stating that they need training but needing to demonstrate competency would indicate that they have some degree of training.

RIP to them all.

Because people want to talk about these things. It's pretty relevant I think. If people want somewhere to just pay respects and post RIP, should there be a separate thread for that?

/BackSeatModding

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kerry_man

danniemcq wrote: »
    oh aye, sure look at Canada. Way to polite to spoil movies but just as many guns and nowhere near as many deaths!
    chin_grin wrote: »
    <bang> Sorry! Eh?

EDIT @11:23 (explanaton: That Canadians would be polite enough to say "sorry" if they shot at each other...a joke regarding their stereotype).

Here in Canada at the moment. This was in Toronto a few days ago:http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Grief+frustration+after+shootings+Toronto+block+party/6957955/story.html after a guy goes ape at a block party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

whats the 9gag army about?

If more civilians carrying guns was the solution then America would have the lowest rate of shootings and spree shootings in the world.

I was amazed the first time I went there as a kid. My Uncle's pal brought me into his gun room and there was all this ammo and guns (in glass casing) he even gave me some spent ammo as a gift.

I was horrified later when myself and the wife went and so many fliers handed out "visit the gun range" and so on, all with sexy girls brandishing guns. The fliers seemed to infer that gun use was sexy - almost like some kind of fetish. Out on a hike in the forest, we came across several rifle owners (maybe hunting) and I tell you, you tend to make way for them as they saunter past!

Fuck off tbh. There are more important things in life than a film:mad:

In fairness some people might want to participate in this thread and express their sympathies without having a film, that they've been waiting a couple of years to see, spoiled.

Just because a tragedy happens somewhere in the world, it doesn't mean people can't get on with their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

just to clear up any confusion

University Hospital confirmed to 9NEWS the youngest patient they have in their care is 3 months old. That baby's condition is unknown at this time. Hospital officials say the baby was not shot, but was taken into the hospital as a precautionary measure after the shooting.

just to clear up any confusion

University Hospital confirmed to 9NEWS the youngest patient they have in their care is 3 months old. That baby's condition is unknown at this time. Hospital officials say the baby was not shot, but was taken into the hospital as a precautionary measure after the shooting.

And there we go. I wonder will that dim the lust of our torture and violent retribution chums?

Fair enough I was incorrect by stating that they need training but needing to demonstrate competency would indicate that they have some degree of training.

Competency isn't the same as being able to handle yourself in a gun fight in a dark, crowded cinema. Maybe lives could have been saved but an inexperienced (in this type of situation) gun owner firing rounds at the attacker in the dark with people running and screaming could have cost lives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Yurt wrote: »

This hasn't been picked up by anyone and according to the reddit timeline it's a troll, I also looked at 9gag and couldn't find the post, so either it was taken down or it is indeed a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

old hippy wrote: »
    And there we go. I wonder will that dim the lust of our torture and violent retribution chums?

This is AH, so probably not.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I checked the Colorado laws, and the concelead weapon permit only requires that the applicant has completed a "handgun training class".

Which presumably handles things like properly holding & aiming the weapon, checking the safety, not using the gun to picks your ear, etc.

I agree that in general it would be experienced handlers who hold these permits, but people in a crisis can be idiots. Unless they've been specifically trained for combat, they're likely to do more harm than good in situations like this.
    These situations only happen in places where people "can't" carry weapons though so it seems my perception is common among people who do acts like these. :pac: There may be other laws in Denver itself affecting permits and the like though.
    On the subject, it would appear that the cops have evacuated the area around this guy's house after saying that the house is rigged with explosives in a "Very sophisticated" manner.
    Sick cvnt was probably hoping that a few cops would go to raid his house and just barge in. That's no doubt why he so readily gave himself up, so he could watch it happen.
    Glad Colorado have the death penalty.

Advertisement