Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Its not a crime but its also not the place for a 3 month old child to be brought. A child that young is most likely going to spend much of the time crying, the films thus far have been very loud and no child will sleep through it. Should every have to endure a crying child? Ive been at two screenings of films where a young child was present and it cried. I ended up having to get a cinema employee kick the parents and child out as why should my night be ruined by the inconsideration of others. If parents really want to see s film, there are plenty of parent and child screenings to choose from.

Most likely maybe, but you don't know that baby do you? You've no idea if that baby is one that will keep completely quiet in such circumstances or scream its head off.

So 14 people have been shot dead and 50 more injured, including a 3 month old baby and you're concern is the baby might have been ruining the film for other people? :rolleyes:

FFS! Some people.

appartly hes a memeber of 9gag and told everyone on it he was going to do it and no one believed him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wonder how well the news media will stick to these guidelines :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

This or its equivalent could have happened any time any place. The comments about it being something that only happens "these days" or "in America" are thick.

The world is far, far safer now than it was in e.g. the Middle Ages or during the world wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I promised myself to stay away from media and social networking today but this events could not be ignored.

Truely tragic, a day in which the world was to enjoy the release of (hopefully) a great movie now darkened. But that pales in contrast to the taking of 12 innocent lives young and old. The 50 injured and other patrons will most likely be severly traumatized for a long time after such a horrific incident.

The gunman is to blame here, not firearm laws, movies or video games. Gas mask, smoke grenades, muliple weapons, location and timing of the attack indicate it was a cold callous and calculated act by the 24 year old, i hope he gets life in a 6x6 solitary cell.

Colorado has the death penalty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Einhard wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this film for weeks. I watched Batman Begins on Wednesday, The Dark Knight last night, and have tickets to to see The Dark Knight Rises tonight with friends. People all over the world have been giddy with excitement and anticipation for this film, and looking forward to a great night out. And then something like this happens, and shocks you to the core. It's incomprehensible. It's odd, but somehow I can get my head around the masssacre in Norway last year, or the school shootings. They're sickening too, and the perpetratirs beyond conempt, but for some reason the idea of strolling into a darkened cinema and shooting the people gathered there with family and friends, munching popcorn and holding hands, seems more chilling. It's really shaken me.

As regards the humorous comments, well I can't be too quick to judge. I saw this story on my phone this morning, and was stunned. For a reason that i can't quite fathom, I linked it on Facebook with a humorous comment. Of course, it didn't in any way denigrate the act or the suffering of the victims and their families, but it was still flippant. I don't know why I posted that particular comment. I deleted it immediately because I realised it was crass in the extreme, but I can understand why some people might seek humour in such a tragedy, and I know that this generally doesn't reflect their personalities.

One thing I can't understand though, is how people can condemn such an act as sickening and the work of a monster, and then declare that the perpetrator should be tortured, have acid poured down his throat, or some such other horrific death. That's just as sickening and monstrous. It's the deed that's horrific, not the reasoning behind it.

Anyway, I'm feeling quite sad now. I'll still go to the film tonight, and I'll enjoy it, but it'll be tinged with a certain sadness. RIP to all the victims.

I can't thank this post enough. Very well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

Maybe, please just maybe this will be the final straw for these trolls. I don't blame the other people on it for egging him on, they couldn't have known he was serious but now hopefully people will be more careful about what they say and do in a public forum. I'm absolutely outraged by that girl's quotes about life. So much innocence taken from the world. Whatever the reason was for the attacks, you aren't truly human in my eyes if you aren't affected by this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nodin wrote: »
    Previous have included God, Jesus, Allah, "voices", the devil, demons, pre-emptive strike.....media will possibly blame the movie.

Going by descriptions, the fact that what he was wearing seems to be slightly similar to Bane's get up in the film won't go unnoticed I imagine.

Was looking forward to reading some reactions to the film from the screenings in dublin this morning when I got up, shocked to be reading about this instead. Genuinely baffled some people are using this incident to voice their opinions on cinema etiquette, serioudly wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I call complete and utter BS on the 9gag thing, tweeted 36 times - none exist. No web address for the supposed picture posted, only a screenshot that anybody could knock up in 2 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Going by descriptions, the fact that what he was wearing seems to be slightly similar to Bane's get up in the film won't go unnoticed I imagine.

Yup. Both Marilyn Manson and The Matrix got singled out at the time of Columbine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

chin_grin wrote: »
    I can't thank this post enough. Very well put.

I can understand a person turning to anger in the immediate aftermath of this. I wish all sorts of ill will towards the 'man' who carried out this attack. I can't help that. It's compassion and a thirst for justice. I know 'an eye for an eye' isn't right, but sometimes I can't help but feel nothing else will satisfy my desire for punishment. Eventually, this feeling will subside and I will go back to rational thinking but right now I'm too numb to think.

I can certainly understand a person turning to rage like this over humour and making light of the situation, but I understand in reality, are they that different? I'm sorry to call you into this as I have seen you retracted your earlier statements and for this I respect your view greatly. However, I feel to turn to anger in this situation shows more tact and empathy than to turn to humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

While this is a truly tragic event, and no-one should have their lives put at risk by doing something as innocuous as attending the cinema, the thing that is really irking me is all the video footage from mobiles being shown by Sky News. I don't know what possesses people to get out their smart phones and start recording when there is clearly a dangerous situation after unfolding. Surely their time would be better spent trying to help others/protect themselves.

More proof of the media/youtube fame obsessed culture of the 21st century.

mup wrote: »
    Maybe, please just maybe this will be the final straw for these trolls. I don't blame the other people on it for egging him on, they couldn't have known he was serious but now hopefully people will be more careful about what they say and do in a public forum. I'm absolutely outraged by that girl's quotes about life. So much innocence taken from the world. Whatever the reason was for the attacks, you aren't truly human in my eyes if you aren't affected by this.

And yet maybe if they ignored him that would've pissed him off even more. Someone who does something like this is either going to do it no matter what or is so mental that absolutely anything could "trigger" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I call complete and utter BS on the 9gag thing, tweeted 36 times - none exist. No web address for the supposed picture posted, only a screenshot that anybody could knock up in 2 minutes.
    I believe it far more likely that the kind of muppet who posts on 9gag would invent this story for "teh lulz" and to drive traffic to 9gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

7:36: One of those killed in Aurora is a 6-year-old girl, father tells KDVR-TV

From Reddit timeline :(

seamus wrote: »
    I believe it far more likely that the kind of muppet who posts on 9gag would invent this story for "teh lulz" and to drive traffic to 9gag.

You cynic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

nbar12 wrote: »
    genuinely have no idea how people can make jokes about this incident. this story makes me feel sick and so angry, the thought of this sick b@stard killing innocent people is horrendous but killing innocent children is heartbreaking. I really hope this he gets the death penalty
    I reckon the lighthearted jokes (not the being a dick for the sake of it ones) are due to how removed we are here from the situation - geographically and metaphorically. When it was first reported, it just seemed unreal - many wondered whether it was a wind-up. The fact it was so like a Batman scene just added to the surreal quality.

It's true the baby's guardian(s) should have had a bit more foresight and not brought the child to the cinema in case (s)he was shot... :(
    FFS, maybe they couldn't get a babysitter...

I can understand a person turning to anger in the immediate aftermath of this. I wish all sorts of ill will towards the 'man' who carried out this attack. I can't help that. It's compassion and a thirst for justice. I know 'an eye for an eye' isn't right, but sometimes I can't help but feel nothing else will satisfy my desire for punishment. Eventually, this feeling will subside and I will go back to rational thinking but right now I'm too numb to think.

I can certainly understand a person turning to rage like this over humour and making light of the situation, but I understand in reality, are they that different? I'm sorry to call you into this as I have seen you retracted your earlier statements and for this I respect your view greatly. However, I feel to turn to anger in this situation shows more tact and empathy than to turn to humour.

Both irrational, though. Both coping mechanisms, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It's absolutely mind-boggling - even bearing in mind that this is Boards.ie - to read the conclusions that some people are jumping to as a very confused situation unfolds and probably not even the authorities on the spot know many details yet.:rolleyes:

As for all of you who are getting stiffies and wet as you imagine the cruel and unusual punishments you would like to visit on the alleged perpetrator - who may be anything between utterly bad and hopelessly mad - just ask yourselves what good it would do anyone. He will almost certainly be executed if he is found sane. OK, but will that bring any of the victims back or prevent further atrocities like this? And if he is mentally off the rails, just flipped, isn't it possible that it could happen to you or me or someone belonging to us at any time.:confused:

It's even worse elsewhere. The author of one comment in the Indo notes that his name seems to be or Irish origin. That is nonsense (just think of Sherlock, who was as English as English could be), although I did know one Irishman of that name in Co. Kildare who did time for killing his wife.

At least his name doesn't sound Pakistani or Afghan, so I suppose the Americans won't be bombing Kolkata or Delhi in retaliation.

p.s. I bet the movie sucks, too. It does if it's like the other Batman ones.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

old hippy wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    What the **** was a 3 month old baby doing at a 1230 am showing of batman.crazy ass americans.

I don't care much for people bringing their kids or infants to the pub but it doesn't make them crazy. Or American.

Your right,i said that with a large helping of sarcasm.but bringing a 3 month old into a movie is mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't know what possesses people to get out their smart phones and start recording when there is clearly a dangerous situation after unfolding. Surely their time would be better spent trying to help others/protect themselves.

More proof of the media/youtube fame obsessed culture of the 21st century.

Modern day Ann franks.

Onixx wrote: »
    I reckon the lighthearted jokes (not the being a dick for the sake of it ones) are due to how removed we are here from the situation - geographically and metaphorically. When it was first reported, it just seemed unreal - many wondered whether it was a wind-up. The fact it was so like a Batman scene just added to the surreal quality.

Do you remember when September 11th happened? There were a lot of poor taste "jokes" doing the rounds, initially & other voices saying that the Americans somehow deserved it for meddling in world affairs, playing the world policeman?

Nowadays, more so than ever - we tend to go and voice our opinions (ill formed or otherwise) immediately. Even in (as in this case) ongoing situations. We don't think of the bigger picture or whether or not what we're saying is helpful or tactful. I'm as guilty as the next person but it certainly pays to treat emotive situations with a bit of decorum. Not always possible, I realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I greatly appreciate that, thank you.

I think it's the basis of humanity. You do something bad, something bad will happen to you. But who makes up the rules or what can we do to this "person"? (quoting as to call him a person would be a dig to humanity in general). We've all heard stories or watched movies enacting personal vendettas. It's possibly what the families would want!

I've never witnessed or been involved in a tragic event (other than a death in the family/of a friend), but nothing on this scale, so all our talk of "hang him", "life in prison" would purely be empathetic reactions to those angry and sharing the grief. So it's justified in the moment, but probably not until he gets tried.

Just noticed this bit...
    However, I feel to turn to anger in this situation shows more tact and empathy than to turn to humour.

Wholeheartedly agree. I think it's just subject disassociation. Sort of 'reverse elephant in the room' where you know what you should say but you say something else instead. I don't know, I don't want to make excuses!

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Your right,i said that with a large helping of sarcasm.but bringing a 3 month old into a movie is mad.

It's not ideal but it's really the least important detail to be focussing on. IMHO, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Seriously, seriously sad event. My wishes go out to the deceased, the friends families, and the survivors who had to see this happen.

Could happen anywhere in the world, and I am slightly disturbed at the stereotyping and borderline bigotry happening on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

old hippy wrote: »
    Yup. Both Marilyn Manson and The Matrix got singled out at the time of Columbine.

I remember Manson appearing in Bowling for Columbine and discussing the effects of music/media on youth and violence. I'm not a huge fan, but he came across so intelligent and well-spoken.

Then there was Charlton Heston, NRA celeb, who came across as a redneck gun nut.

I refuse to believe that film/music/games make people murderers. They're already there, the easy access to guns just makes it a lot less hassle for them to have a shooting spree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I remember Manson appearing in Bowling for Columbine and discussing the effects of music/media on youth and violence. I'm not a huge fan, but he came across so intelligent and well-spoken.

The Aurora cinema is less than 20 miles from Columbine High School, terrible for the community there again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Then there was Charlton Heston, NRA celeb, who came across as a redneck gun nut.

I refuse to believe that film/music/games make people murderers. They're already there, the easy access to guns just makes it a lot less hassle for them to have a shooting spree.

you mean the alzheimers sufferer who michael moore made out to look a sick **** by editing the film to look like he'd held a gun ralley a week after the columbine massacre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Just woke up to this and it all feels so eerie as I was at an all night triple bill @ VUE (Begins, Dark Knight & Rises) the last of which started at 5am (around the time of this shooting).

Now all I think of is the great atmosphere there this morning, the excitement of us all being there, having staying up all night just to see a movie premiere and how that must have been just the same for all those people there, yet then this evil happened to them in that state - the contrast is stomach churning.

They described the scene in the movie on CNN that was on when this happened and I think it was very deliberate to choose that moment so as to confuse people and make them just believe the gunfire coming from the movie. Some may think I am over-reacting, but I think all countries worldwide should stop screening the movie for a few weeks or so as a mark of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mickeroo wrote: »

I only heard about the shootings a few minutes ago on sky news. I was actually expecting to hear "dressed as joker" or "dressed as bane" ... but Obviously sky wouldnt make that comment just yet without a picture released.

Sounds very bane-esque to me tho.

Advertisement