Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One of the girls shot dead was an up and coming sportscaster. She was also at the Toronto mall shootings a few weeks ago which she posted a blog about.
    “I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member.

"Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I've been looking forward to this film for weeks. I watched Batman Begins on Wednesday, The Dark Knight last night, and have tickets to to see The Dark Knight Rises tonight with friends. People all over the world have been giddy with excitement and anticipation for this film, and looking forward to a great night out. And then something like this happens, and shocks you to the core. It's incomprehensible. It's odd, but somehow I can get my head around the masssacre in Norway last year, or the school shootings. They're sickening too, and the perpetratirs beyond conempt, but for some reason the idea of strolling into a darkened cinema and shooting the people gathered there with family and friends, munching popcorn and holding hands, seems more chilling. It's really shaken me.

As regards the humorous comments, well I can't be too quick to judge. I saw this story on my phone this morning, and was stunned. For a reason that i can't quite fathom, I linked it on Facebook with a humorous comment. Of course, it didn't in any way denigrate the act or the suffering of the victims and their families, but it was still flippant. I don't know why I posted that particular comment. I deleted it immediately because I realised it was crass in the extreme, but I can understand why some people might seek humour in such a tragedy, and I know that this generally doesn't reflect their personalities.

One thing I can't understand though, is how people can condemn such an act as sickening and the work of a monster, and then declare that the perpetrator should be tortured, have acid poured down his throat, or some such other horrific death. That's just as sickening and monstrous. It's the deed that's horrific, not the reasoning behind it.

Anyway, I'm feeling quite sad now. I'll still go to the film tonight, and I'll enjoy it, but it'll be tinged with a certain sadness. RIP to all the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Not trying to be funny but what kind of parent brings a3 month old child to see a film such as this. Its close to 3 hours long and is sure as hell going to be very, very loud and no child would sleep through it.

This again!

For Christ sake, it's not a crime to bring a baby to the cinema. There could be any number of reasons for it. People should be allowed do what they want in this regard and not have to fear getting shot.

Focus on the real issues here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is the 9gag stuff legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not trying to be funny but what kind of parent brings a3 month old child to see a film such as this. Its close to 3 hours long and is sure as hell going to be very, very loud and no child would sleep through it.
    It's already been discussed but it makes no difference to the child. It would only be an annoyance to the other people in the cinema if it cried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Is the 9gag stuff legit?

I don't know, was just wondering the same myself :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I think the whole bringing the child to the cinema issue is hindsight.

No one would care about it being brought if this hadn't happened.

What 9Gag stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is the 9gag stuff legit?
    What 9gag stuff?

seamus wrote: »
    What 9gag stuff?

Weird.

Get out of my head!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Kinda holding back tears now reading the twitter account posted above. Just an excited girl off to the movies with friends. If this happened in Dublin instead of Denver, I wonder would we have so many cool dudes making jokes about it on here. :(

I agree.

The only thing I can think that comes close is when I was reading the last messages from the Titanic when I went up to the exhibition. Harrowing.

RIP to the victims and I hope the families and friends are ok. :(

Also I apologise, and I can do so again profusely for my original comments then subsequent defence of my comments...I just think I was taken completely out of context! The "jokes" in this thread shouldn't have been made [by other posters] and I didn't mean to defend them either!) It was my understanding that it wasn't to the victims expense as it was to the state of the US...so, sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What 9Gag stuff?
    seamus wrote: »
    What 9gag stuff?

According to the comments on the Youtube video posted earlier somebody spoiled the film. Then another person said that they were going to shoot up their local cinema to spoil it for everybody and then that person was jeered on by other 9gag users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bad Panda wrote: »
    This again!

For Christ sake, it's not a crime to bring a baby to the cinema. There could be any number of reasons for it. People should be allowed do what they want in this regard and not have to fear getting shot.

Focus on the real issues here.

Its not a crime but its also not the place for a 3 month old child to be brought. A child that young is most likely going to spend much of the time crying, the films thus far have been very loud and no child will sleep through it. Should every have to endure a crying child? Ive been at two screenings of films where a young child was present and it cried. I ended up having to get a cinema employee kick the parents and child out as why should my night be ruined by the inconsideration of others. If parents really want to see s film, there are plenty of parent and child screenings to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

According to the comments on the Youtube video posted earlier somebody spoiled the film. Then another person said that they were going to shoot up their local cinema to spoil it for everybody and then that person was jeered on by other 9gag users.

****in' hell - suspect has been named and is mid-20's....what possible reasoning is he going to spout for doing this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So now we can focus the blame on Youtube, Batman and bad parenting.... :rolleyes:

Its not a crime but its also not the place for a 3 month old child to be brought. A child that young is most likely going to spend much of the time crying, the films thus far have been very loud and no child will sleep through it. Should every have to endure a crying child? Ive been at two screenings of films where a young child was present and it cried. I ended up having to get a cinema employee kick the parents and child out as why should my night be ruined by the inconsideration of others. If parents really want to see s film, there are plenty of parent and child screenings to choose from.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE ****ING BABY! IT IS ALIVE AND WELL, HOME SAFE THANK GOD. I brought it up myself a few pages ago but left it at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

No-one cares what happened at your screening. There is a bigger issue here.

If that's true, then it reminds me of the death of Brandon Vedas, basically someone who overdosed on a webcam feed as he was goaded on by people to keep taking more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

What the **** was a 3 month old baby doing at a 1230 am showing of batman.crazy ass americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I promised myself to stay away from media and social networking today but this events could not be ignored.

Truely tragic, a day in which the world was to enjoy the release of (hopefully) a great movie now darkened. But that pales in contrast to the taking of 12 innocent lives young and old. The 50 injured and other patrons will most likely be severly traumatized for a long time after such a horrific incident.

The gunman is to blame here, not firearm laws, movies or video games. Gas mask, smoke grenades, muliple weapons, location and timing of the attack indicate it was a cold callous and calculated act by the 24 year old, i hope he gets life in a 6x6 solitary cell.

I promised myself to stay away from media and social networking today but this events could not be ignored.

Truely tragic, a day in which the world was to enjoy the release of (hopefully) a great movie now darkened. But that pales in contrast to the taking of 12 innocent lives young and old. The 50 injured and other patrons will most likely be severly traumatized for a long time after such a horrific incident.

The gunman is to blame here, not firearm laws, movies or video games. Gas mask, smoke grenades, muliple weapons, location and timing of the attack indicate it was a cold callous and calculated act by the 24 year old, i hope he gets life in a 6x6 solitary cell.

^
    Here, here - well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

i hope he gets life in a 6x6 solitary cell.

nah not solitary, just pop Bubba in there from time to time with no lube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

Site should be taken down for letting this go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

****in' hell - suspect has been named and is mid-20's....what possible reasoning is he going to spout for doing this?

Previous have included God, Jesus, Allah, "voices", the devil, demons, pre-emptive strike.....media will possibly blame the movie.

kingtiger wrote: »
    nah not solitary, just pop Bubba in there from time to time with no lube

Advocating rape now. And people talk of sick minds... :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Any pic of the perp yet?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    What the **** was a 3 month old baby doing at a 1230 am showing of batman.crazy ass americans.

I don't care much for people bringing their kids or infants to the pub but it doesn't make them crazy. Or American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dunny! wrote: »
    Site should be taken down for letting this go.

Yes, clearly they should have checked that a joke was actually a declaration of intent in their crystal ball.

(presuming that isn't just a photoshop)

Advertisement