Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

brokenarms,if your parcel is received by pm,they will reject it,as they wont pay the import tax,something to think about.if that is it has import dutys or taxes to be paid.

Cheers. It was to good to be true..

I guessing when I buy a new item from the asia, revenue might want a bite of it.

UPS seem to charge at my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

brokenarms,if your parcel is received by pm,they will reject it,as they wont pay the import tax,something to think about.if that is it has import dutys or taxes to be paid.

If it is sent by UPS/FedEX/DHL and you know the tracking number you can ring up pay the VAT/Customs on the phone and then get them to redelivery it. Just need to catch it before it is sent back to America!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote: »
    Just a question on goods received at Parcel motel that VAT/customs are due at. I know they'll refuse to accept the goods but will I get a notification of same?

I purchased something from amazon.co.uk but it has been sent from the US. Bit annoyed as I specifically chose the amazon.co.uk site to avoid paying VAT/customs.

I'm still hoping it slips by but would like to know if its refused

Just an update on this. Parcel is now available for collection at our local Parcel motel. As a previous pposter says it appears we paid VAT on amazon.co.uk so that allows it to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any planned for Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If I got a piece of machinery delivered on a pallet, can PM deal with it? I know it would cost extra- But can it be done?

As an example, I recently bought a mower on a pallet that was 60KG weight? Could something like that be dealt with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

you could talk to Nightline directly on it and see what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Picked up first package earlier. Very straight forward. Very happy with the service overall

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Used the service a few times & it's excellent...really delighted with it!!

However, changed my pick up point to the new one in Naas (Topaz) last week.

Ordered an item AFTER I changed my PM location but the parcel was delivered to my original one!

Not really a biggie but a bit frustrating as the Topaz one is much handier for me!

Problem with first delivery of three, :( . Private message sent Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

brokenarms wrote: »
    QUESTION about import tax and parcel motel.

Say I want to buy a camera from an ebay seller in hong kong. Normally I would get charged the import tax at the door by other couriers . How does parcel motel deal with inport duty.

Would I get off paying altogether? Dam tax.

From Parcel Motel Website

What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?
    Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

Just picked up my first parcel at Charlestown Shopping Centre. Item was ordered from Amazon UK on Friday 23 Nov. I could have collected last night as I got the text message at 10 p.m. I avoided Amazon delivery charges by getting parcel delivered to the Newtownabbey depot first. Tremendous service. Well done Nightline!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I love you guys :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

keredern wrote: »
    Used the service a few times & it's excellent...really delighted with it!!

However, changed my pick up point to the new one in Naas (Topaz) last week.

Ordered an item AFTER I changed my PM location but the parcel was delivered to my original one!

Not really a biggie but a bit frustrating as the Topaz one is much handier for me!

Glad you like the service. We must have checked in a parcel before you changed the location. Sorry for the inconvenice, best to give any changes 24hours to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bit of a weird scenario, but happened me this week. I had three small items arrive to the NI address at the exact same time ( they were registered ) and they were sent down to my local PM and put in three different lockers and I was sent three different texts then.

Could anything be done in this scenario to avoid paying the €10.50? The three items probably have fit in the smallest locker, would be nice if you could group the items and pay one less fee or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I have to agree, I ordered two things, exact same thing but in two parcels (stupid amazon) both checked into the motel at same time but in different lockers and would have fit in one of the bigger lockers. Grouping together would be fantastic.

January wrote: »
    I have to agree, I ordered two things, exact same thing but in two parcels (stupid amazon) both checked into the motel at same time but in different lockers and would have fit in one of the bigger lockers. Grouping together would be fantastic.

This is definitely a problem where multiple items are bought together from sites such as Amazon.com or 7dayshop.com and they decide to ship them individually or grouped into a number of deliveries. However, its hard to see how PM could deal with this by grouping- unless they offered discounts for multiple packages delivered at the same time, eg. €3.50 for 1st package, and €1.50 for each additional one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This is definitely a problem where multiple items are bought together from sites such as Amazon.com or 7dayshop.com and they decide to ship them individually or grouped into a number of deliveries. However, its hard to see how PM could deal with this by grouping- unless they offered discounts for multiple packages delivered at the same time, eg. €3.50 for 1st package, and €1.50 for each additional one.

I know its not an easy one to sort, but if I didn't ask i would never know :pac:
    Turns out I wasn't the only one anyway

Its a great service, but there is always room for improvement! :D

Davy wrote: »
    Its a great service, but there is always room for improvement! :D

Agreed- and if PM sorted this out, it could generate a lot more traffic for them with increased revenues.

surely that would decrease the revenues ;) I think its fair enough to keep it simple, they have to make their money somewhere. If they brought in that system, then you'd end up with people asking "could you not hold onto the package for a day until the next one arrives?" etc etc

Its simple, it works, and the savings are made on the seperately shipped items.

problem with my first delivery as the website had a bug which stopped my PM location update from going through. called in and mailed Orla on here, package is being picked up from other location and shipped down tomorrow, and she let me know that my other two packages are arriving tonight. fantastic Customer service!

• Advertisement

Hope that doesn't happen to me with my orders zuroph. I changed my PM location to the Dock Road on the day it went live.

if its changed on the site, you'll be fine. Mine was auto populating the "new password" line above where you change the location, and the location change never happened, but i never spotted the error message as it was down by the password change section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

Orla, one of my orders was shipped today with Hermes couriers via their 2 day service, which means it has an expected delivery day of Saturday (they deliver on Saturdays within the UK). Is your Northern depot open on Saturdays? And if not, what happens if they attempt delivery and it is missed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Parcel Motel: Orla

Brian017 wrote: »
    Orla, one of my orders was shipped today with Hermes couriers via their 2 day service, which means it has an expected delivery day of Saturday (they deliver on Saturdays within the UK). Is your Northern depot open on Saturdays? And if not, what happens if they attempt delivery and it is missed?

Hi Brian. We're like a real motel :) We're open on Saturdays and if your parcel arrives then it will be in your chosen Parcel Motel by Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Brian017

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing how it all works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi Orla,
    I received a text and email today
    Your Parcel Motel delivery could not be completed as payment could not be made on your account. Please contact us on 1890 241717

I rang twice, but i was put through to someone who has not activated their answer machine. Then i had to go out, Only home a while and i just remembered it again.

I wasn't expecting any deliveries, and can't think of anything i might have ordered from the UK. I can top up my account tomorrow, could it just be a follow on letter from a company saying

"Enjoy these other great deals"... or similar?

I guess i'll have to pay to find out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will cost ya €3.50 to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It will cost ya €3.50 to find out.

Yeah..

I genuinely can't think of anything i've ordered, but.....

Dang. If it's some cack letter from an Amazon seller... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

zuroph wrote: »
    problem with my first delivery as the website had a bug which stopped my PM location update from going through. called in and mailed Orla on here, package is being picked up from other location and shipped down tomorrow, and she let me know that my other two packages are arriving tonight. fantastic Customer service!
    I've just had a parcel delivered to my "old" motel. I guess mine didn't change either when i updated it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Any luck with one coming to Wexford/Carlow. Im miles away from my closest one :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement