Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel Thread (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone ordered off the Argos UK ebay outlet and used Parcel Motel? It says in delivery info on the Argos ebay site that delivery to a PO box isn't allowed.

Cheers for any help!

Never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

What impact does the UK leaving the EU have on this service? Can it continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was thinking the same... Would there be import taxes for stuff coming from the UK cos its outside the EU too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Remains to be seen, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

Anyone have experience with a locker not opening? When it did how long did it take you to get your item and were you charged for one or two stays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

degsie wrote: »
    What impact does the UK leaving the EU have on this service? Can it continue?

Depends on how things go, but it could be doomed.

Right now it works because:
    Amazon provide free UK delivery
    Royal Mail subsidise delivery to NI by way of the flat fees

So even if NI was to remain we'd still lose that free flight courtesy of RM.

Assuming Amazon.co.uk and Ebay.co.uk account for the majority of items we'd see a big move to Amazon.de I'd guess (they have an english version in beta at the minute) then there'd be room for a substitute from a German hub, but they'd end up being a lot more expensive and thus probably not competitive.

Hopefully Westminster just don't enact Article 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Ordered a new mobile from Amazon on Wed. Used PM for the first time and very impressed with it. Phone ordered Wed, arrived in NI yesterday. Delivered to NI PM this morning and arrived at North King St locker this evening. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Superquinn

Hi all,

I'm living in London for the summer and just wondering if anyone knows of a UK parcel motel type service?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Superquinn wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm living in London for the summer and just wondering if anyone knows of a UK parcel motel type service?

Thanks

Parcel motel has UK lockers also according to the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Superquinn

SteoL wrote: »
    Superquinn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Parcel motel has UK lockers also according to the interweb.

Thanks. They don't appear to have any in London though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Does anyone know about the returns process. When you go through the process of paying for a label, is there any time restriction placed on when you have to send it.

I've something to return and I would prefer to just have it ready in the car and send whenever I am directly passing a parcel motel sometime this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

moleyv wrote: »
    Does anyone know about the returns process. When you go through the process of paying for a label, is there any time restriction placed on when you have to send it.

I've something to return and I would prefer to just have it ready in the car and send whenever I am directly passing a parcel motel sometime this week

No time limit as far as I know. I had a lot of trouble returning an item to Amazon. I printed the Amazon freepost and the PM return label and stuck them on. I assumed they would forward it to Scotland from Newtownabbey. No such luck, it remained in the warehouse for a month before I finally chased it down. I still don't know the correct procedure for returns.:rolleyes:

recipio wrote:
    No time limit as far as I know. I had a lot of trouble returning an item to Amazon. I printed the Amazon freepost and the PM return label and stuck them on. I assumed they would forward it to Scotland from Newtownabbey. No such luck, it remained in the warehouse for a month before I finally chased it down. I still don't know the correct procedure for returns.

My return is for amazon, but through collect+. PM are an agent for collect+, as in if you look up collect+ locations, the newtownabbey warehouse shows up on the map, but not for public access.

Was you return via collect+ and did you select amazon then on PM instead of collect+. That would probably cause issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

moleyv wrote: »
    My return is for amazon, but through collect+. PM are an agent for collect+, as in if you look up collect+ locations, the newtownabbey warehouse shows up on the map, but not for public access.

Was you return via collect+ and did you select amazon then on PM instead of collect+. That would probably cause issues.

If you haven't book PM you can try contacting Amazon to ask them for return labels for Anpost, they done it in the past for lots of users here.

nava wrote:
    If you haven't book PM you can try contacting Amazon to ask them for return labels for Anpost, they done it in the past for lots of users here.

Thanks! That's great to know. Unfortunately this time it will suit me more to use PM due to times. The replacement is also coming to PM so I will probably do the return when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

nava wrote: »

Thats interesting. I used their collect + but assumed it applied to the UK only. It still didn't prevent a holdup. I had to re-scan the label, forward it to PM and eventually it was delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Picked up my second Parcel Motel Stay this evening. Used PM as was free postage to north as my total purchase was over £50. Below that would have been £5 post to north and any postage to Dublin was £12.95

So the supplier fuxked up. Gave me an incorrect item. Have emailed them and explained the situation. Item was about a tenners worth. It will be interesting to hear what the supplier has to say, but I was just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences in the past? If so, how was a solution reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Parcel Motel is a 40 minute drive from my house which I normally pass on my hour drive to work, so normally I pick up my packages to or from work.

I received an e-mail from Parcel Motel yesterday (Saturday) at 7:23am saying my parcel is ready for collection, so I thought that will be fine as I'll pick it up on my way to work Monday as I usually pass it at 8:30am.

However, this morning I received another e-mail at 7:30am saying it will expire in 24 hours. So it means I have to spend nearly 2 hours driving today to pick up the package or head to work an hour earlier tomorrow to get it by 7:23am. :(

Something to be aware of and I think worth adding to the Parcel Motel FAQ - Sunday is counted in the 48-hour period it must be collected by. I really wish they had an option to exclude Saturday/Sunday deliveries as I'm sure some people are away for the weekends.

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

editorsean wrote: »
    Parcel Motel is a 40 minute drive from my house which I normally pass on my hour drive to work, so normally I pick up my packages to or from work.

I received an e-mail from Parcel Motel yesterday (Saturday) at 7:23am saying my parcel is ready for collection, so I thought that will be fine as I'll pick it up on my way to work Monday as I usually pass it at 8:30am.

However, this morning I received another e-mail at 7:30am saying it will expire in 24 hours. So it means I have to spend nearly 2 hours driving today to pick up the package or head to work an hour earlier tomorrow to get it by 7:23am. :(

Something to be aware of and I think worth adding to the Parcel Motel FAQ - Sunday is counted in the 48-hour period it must be collected by. I really wish they had an option to exclude Saturday/Sunday deliveries as I'm sure some people are away for the weekends.

The 48 hours starts from when the parcel is put in the locker, which could be 1 in the morning - not from when your receive the text. You don't get the text till the first 'slot' in your window, which might have been 6 hours later in this case, leaving you only 42 hours, from when you got the notification

I actually thought the e-mail came in at the time the package was dropped off and the text comes in the selected period. Either way I'll pick it up today.

After getting stung by this, this reminds me to give DPD's Virtual UK address a try. So far I haven't had any issue with any online shopping delivered by DPD.

Previously I used Parcel Connect, but ran into issues with their partner service station not scanning in deliveries. So a delivery could be sitting there for days and sure enough when I pop in asking if there's a package for me, it's there. With Address Pal, the post office is closed when I head to/from work and the nearest one to my workplace can be very busy with a lengthy queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Hello all,

When adding my new parcel motel NI address details into Amazon "add a new address" section, do I enter my name or PMID # or both in the "full name" section.

Thanks...

This is the way I suggest filling it as how I have filled mine and so far haven't had any delivery issues to date to my Parcel Motel account:

RkZ10Fs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

editorsean wrote: »
    This is the way I suggest filling it as how I have filled mine and so far haven't had any delivery issues to date to my Parcel Motel account:

RkZ10Fs.png

Ya tried that and it didn't work.

Put my personal name and PMID in the "full name" section and the words parcel motel in the "address line 1" section.

This is the only way it would accept it for me. Needed the name "parcel motel" put in second line. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

They have moved our lockers in Sligo , only a little bit away... but I personally am not happy with where they have moved them too.. If I find it too much of a pain in the hole I'm gonna use the an post system instead, at least it will be handy picking up parcel in the post office, and it's a tad cheaper.

Put my personal name and PMID in the "full name" section and the words parcel motel in the "address line 1" section.

This is the only way it would accept it for me. Needed the name "parcel motel" put in second line. :confused:
    I left the words 'Parcel Motel' out altogether including with eBay, but then again it's been about 2 years since I added the address.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have had a few parcels delivered now without issue.

One supplier put the wrong PMID on a package, but I saw the problem in his confirmation email and was able to use Parcel Motel's 'Shopping Tracker' to alert them something was coming for me incorrectly addressed. Arrived safely in Dublin without any discernible delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You are doing something wrong. I did it exactly as the above picture and it works fine. I only did it yesterday also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Amazon will try to give a corrected suggested address but you can select the option to used the address you entered. Could that be your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was talking to someone from PM today about the effects of Brexit.
    They're quiet worried about the whole thing effecting the business.
    Whatever happens deliveries will be slower for all companies offering these services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

I was talking to someone from PM today about the effects of Brexit.
    They're quiet worried about the whole thing effecting the business.
    Whatever happens deliveries will be slower for all companies offering these services.

Yep, I'd say their days are numbered unfortunately :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement