Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Luas line should be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I dont think closing it down is an option, but its definitley a huge problem in terms of public disorder. I live abroad and returned for a visit over the summer. I was on the red line once and once only. It was a sunday. The entire experience was very disappointing. Blatant anti social behaviour onboard and intimidation at Heuston and Jervis stops. So my one off experience was poor. Was I unlucky or is it so rampant that it can
    be witnessed everyday.

be witnes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have used the Red Line rarely, it got me where I wanted to go without any hassle really, but I suppose on that basis I can't complain.

Have those of you who have major problems with this line contacted Veolia? Again, and again, and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

im on it almost every day of the week
    theirs anti social behaviour everywere , why get rid of something good? instead just increase security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The other day I was at heauston station and I noticed this absolute dirt bird she had gold trousers on had straw like hair and was quite old looked like she was on the drink and had soiled herself it was all over her and she was over bothering people then I saw the Luas pull in and I was like Oh no god help anyone that sits in the seat after her, she stumbled on along with other commuters which I was surprised to see them get on along with her imagine the smell.

The problem the Red line has is it is a service that drops the drug addicts right into where they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Have those of you who have major problems with this line contacted Veolia? Again, and again, and again?

There's nothing Veoila/Transdev can do about this and very little that the RPA can do. It's a policing/judicial problem so it can only be solved by politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get it every day to and from Jervis and definitely see skangers but not to the extent I'd stop getting it.

I've seen antisocial behavior but no way is it every day.

Maybe it's because I get it during commuting hours, as in 9 and 5.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Seen lots of anti social behaviour on the green line!!

Well off, mature, respectable young men and women pissed drunk swinging like monkeys out of the bars but because there well to do its not anti social its a bit of fun??

So maybe shut down the entire luas!

I use to work the green line so i have seen ridiculous behaviour from people who should be able to act more responsible.

There is a lot of trouble on the red line but you would not believe the arrogance and pure cheek from daddys boys and girls on the green line!

The other day I was at heauston station and I noticed this absolute dirt bird she had gold trousers on had straw like hair and was quite old looked like she was on the drink and had soiled herself it was all over her and she was over bothering people then I saw the Luas pull in and I was like Oh no god help anyone that sits in the seat after her, she stumbled on along with other commuters which I was surprised to see them get on along with her imagine the smell.

The problem the Red line has is it is a service that drops the drug addicts right into where they want to be.

Prior to my move abroad, I used it fairly regularly, at least 4 days a week. It wasn't just drug addicts. It was absolute vermin from various walks of life that decided it was okay to act like complete dicks and terrorize people. On my one and only trip last month the disturbance on board was caused by youngsters mouthing obscenities down the carriage to each other in an attempt to get a reaction from other passengers. When they did, it turned into a very ugly situation. At Heuston and Jervis, the level of intimidation from all sorts was pitiful. In fairness, the junkies at these stops were the least of the problem. I found it to be out of control teens and drunk people. But I guess it takes a mixture to create the ultimate problem. Certainly not a good ad for the service. Where I live we have an identical system, opened just after the luas. Any bull**** on it and the police are all over it like a rash. So whats the problem in Dublin?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Prior to my move abroad, I used it fairly regularly, at least 4 days a week. It wasn't just drug addicts. It was absolute vermin from various walks of life that decided it was okay to act like complete dicks and terrorize people. On my one and only trip last month the disturbance on board was caused by youngsters mouthing obscenities down the carriage to each other in an attempt to get a reaction from other passengers. When they did, it turned into a very ugly situation. At Heuston and Jervis, the level of intimidation from all sorts was pitiful. In fairness, the junkies at these stops were the least of the problem. I found it to be out of control teens and drunk people. But I guess it takes a mixture to create the ultimate problem. Certainly not a good ad for the service. Where I live we have an identical system, opened just after the luas. Any bull**** on it and the police are all over it like a rash. So whats the problem in Dublin?

As others have said the problem here is the judicial system and the fear from security and the guards themselves of been sued or held to account for others actions.

I totally agree with you it's not only the drug addicts but this country is so pc(politically correct) that we can't touch these scum bags. Also the problem with the racist word which a lot like to throw out there.

Sure if the security try to restrain or hold someone up you will usually see some do gooder getting involved as I have seen with my own two eyes on transport and a few times in a shop where I worked.

Lots of loonies walking around out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well off, mature, respectable young men and women pissed drunk swinging like monkeys out of the bars but because there well to do its not anti social its a bit of fun??

We're only scared of poor people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Where I live we have an identical system, opened just after the luas. Any bull**** on it and the police are all over it like a rash. So whats the problem in Dublin?
    lack of resources, sadly its as simple as that, the judicial system should be a lot harsher on these little vermin also, rock breaking would be nice, oh yes, lovely

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

lack of resources, sadly its as simple as that, the judicial system should be a lot harsher on these little vermin also, rock breaking would be nice, oh yes, lovely

I'll fess up. I'm in Spain. Economically on its knees, but its lack of resources in relation to law and order doesn't affect the little things, the simple things, that make life easier.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I don't get why everyone goes on about anti-social behaviour. Ignore anyone who's acting up and they tend to stop. If they don't, it gets sorted fairly quickly. Every country is going to have some sort of difficulty with these.

I regularly get it between Heuston and Busaras, and once/twice a month out to Tallaght. I've seen anti social behaviour maybe twice, and I've been doing these journeys for a few years. There's worse acting up on All Ireland Semi-Final day!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

I take the red line quite regularly to get to Tallaght and I haven't really seen any cases of extreme anti-social behavior as the only events that have taken place on the luas that one would associate with anti social behavior were just young students, first years I guess, messing on the luas or the occasional scumbag abusing a security guard at a Luas Station. The only major negative aspect of the Luas Red Line I guess is that the scenery is some areas is quite grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

markpb wrote: »
    There's nothing Veoila/Transdev can do about this and very little that the RPA can do. It's a policing/judicial problem so it can only be solved by politicians.

Politicians solving something?! What a laugh! You realise that there are politicians in the areas where the troublemakers originate from whose interests will be for these people to continue using the Luas unhindered, surely? This means you'll just get two sides of politicians arguing over it all and wasting everyone's time.

Veolia/Transdev could put more security on the trams and eject those causing trouble (surely no more complex than a premises employing doormen, though more would be required). Further, greater rates of ticket inspection backed up by said security would probably deter some of the troublesome element who regard the Luas as almost a right and (ab)use it regularly with no tickets.

But of course there would be a cost associated with this and since it would probably just force people off the Luas rather than getting them to comply with ticketing regulations, there's little motivation unless compliant users are so deterred they stop using it almost entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I hereby renew my previous suggestion - issue free travel passes to Gardai and members of the defence forces while they are travelling in uniform. In the former case obviously crimes committed on board could be dealt with, in the latter it would be more about "raising the tone" and having witnesses less likely to be intimidated by the local messers into declining statements to enforcement personnel boarding after an incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

dowlingm wrote: »
    I hereby renew my previous suggestion - issue free travel passes to Gardai and members of the defence forces while they are travelling in uniform. In the former case obviously crimes committed on board could be dealt with, in the latter it would be more about "raising the tone" and having witnesses less likely to be intimidated by the local messers into declining statements to enforcement personnel boarding after an incident.

Gardai travel free on DB I presume it is the same on the LUAS.

cdebru wrote: »

They have their warrant card they can go as they please it's down as a unwritten rule. You would rather carry them then some of the others that's what my dad always said;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

cdebru wrote: »

Scumbags causing mayhem have no fear of authority, at all. They like to provoke them I think, as a pastime.

So they are turfed off the bus/Luas by the Gardai or Security. Names taken. Then what?

Nothing, they get on the next tram and do it all over again.

Maybe if places like ....

The Children's Court,
    The Merchants quay drug centre
    The drug treatment centres in the city centre
    Etc. Etc.

Were moved to industrial estates on the outskirts, then the scobies might not need to use public transport for kicks.

Not transport related, but that Merchants Quay centre right across the road from the Four Courts and right at a bus stop is a total disgrace, location wise. I've seen commuters waiting at that stop, and tourists back off with fear at some of the carry on there.

But we can't say anything, because it's not politically correct to criticise drug addicts, despite the screaming and roaring they do outside and on the way to these places, while the rest of us try to get in and out of the city for work or pleasure, while paying through our taxes for all this drug rehab for these people.

God I am sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Maybe if places like ....

The Children's Court,
    The Merchants quay drug centre
    The drug treatment centres in the city centre
    Etc. Etc.

Were moved to industrial estates on the outskirts, then the scobies might not need to use public transport for kicks.

I don't understand your reasoning.

If the people you are talking about are not from the 'industrial estates on the outskirts' then they'd still have to use public transport. In fact, they'd probably have to use more public transport than they currently do unless everything you mentioned above was replicated on the north, south and west edges of the city and even then you'd still have the undesirables from the city centre having to use public transport to get out to these places.

We don't need to go changing the whole city around to ignore the minority of undesirables here, we need to police what we have at the moment in a better way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

SteM wrote: »
    I don't understand your reasoning.

If the people you are talking about are not from the 'industrial estates on the outskirts' then they'd still have to use public transport. In fact, they'd probably have to use more public transport than they currently do unless everything you mentioned above was replicated on the north, south and west edges of the city and even then you'd still have the undesirables from the city centre having to use public transport to get out to these places.

We don't need to go changing the whole city around to ignore the minority of undesirables here, we need to police what we have at the moment in a better way.

Going to go out on a limb here - Why aren't the children's courts and drug treatment centres situated where the problem lies? Surely a quick demographic study would throw up a few more locations where these could be situated, where ordinary people and tourists aren't intimidated in our city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Going to go out on a limb here - Why aren't the children's courts and drug treatment centres situated where the problem lies? Surely a quick demographic study would throw up a few more locations where these could be situated, where ordinary people and tourists aren't intimidated in our city centre?

You don't think there are drugs problems and antisocial behaviour issues in inner city Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The problem with drug treatment centres is not that they're there full stop, it's the concentration of them. If they were better dispersed, then there wouldn't be such a problem. Drug addicts do not just live along the red line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Surveyor11 wrote: »

Where area of Dublin do all these problems lie so that we can put the Children's Court in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ThePieintheSky

Shame to see this really.

Thug terror on Luas Red Line at record high

http://www.herald.ie/news/thug-terror-on-luas-red-line-at-record-high-29595512.html

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

I used to take Red Luas on a daily basis and it is basically impossible not being subject of intimidations (except early day). The scums who are intimidating passengers don't seem to have a ticket most of the time.
    I reported it several time to Veolia. However I keep seeing scenes were the ticket inspectors don't do anything to stop this. Ticket inspectors don't bother to check or to fine those anti social people (easy to recognise) but they make a big effort in prosecuting decent passengers who forgot to tag for example.
    It would be easy checking those that are causing problems (at least!)...there are a couple of them at each stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Shame to see this really.

Thug terror on Luas Red Line at record high

http://www.herald.ie/news/thug-terror-on-luas-red-line-at-record-high-29595512.html

while some of the carry-on is disgraceful, its typical shoddy journalism though all the same

"1,300 cases of thug terror a year...25 a week etc"

then you read down and find 1030 of them were ticket machines being vandalised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

What sections of the line are the worst and at which times?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

What sections of the line are the worst and at which times?

Definitely Belgard, Fettercairn, Cheeverstown on one end, Fatime, St JAmes, Heuston, Smithfield, Jervis, Abbey on the other.

Any time after lunch time is bad, I think off peak hours is the worst, i.e. from 2 to 4 pm and from 6 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I got off at Smithfield recently at about 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. I literally stepped out into sea of junkies and winos, nearly like a scene from a zombie apocalypse movie, which was quite intimidating in itself, so I turned around and got back on again and got off at Abbey St.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement