Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just log into the App Store with the Apple ID you used for your Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

How does this compare to Snow Leopard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Elessar wrote: »
    How does this compare to Snow Leopard?
    It's as fast and as stable. With new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

very happy with it so far. seems so much smoother and faster than lion. looks cleaner too with the new dock.

only things i notice so far is total finder is not performing well with it and launch pad is all mixed up now with folders and stuff but thats a small thing. Word, Excel, PS and any other applications I use are all ok.

definitely prefer it to lion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Pretty disappointed with lack of mirroring if your pre 2011 model Macbook.

Doesn't make any sense to me why they choose to do this. I have no real intention of buying another Mac. I might have bought this to get Apple mirroring support but none of the other features really interest me TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Guys quick question. Was running Parallels v7.0. Updated to OS x Mountain Lion. Never checked the compatability of the two before hand (v stupid of me) Now when I logged on I see it says v7.0 is not compatible. i really need it and want to revert - how do I do this. Thanks.

Edit - Sorry folks panic over! Got it sorted. I think reading boards has dulled my sense of how to help myself! Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you have a Time Machine backup you can use that. Otherwise you'll have to do a clean install.

It shouldn't be necessary though. Update to the latest version of Parallels.

http://blogs.parallels.com/consumertech/2012/7/26/making-your-copy-of-parallels-desktop-7-mountain-lion-ready.html

thebman wrote: »

Doesn't make any sense to me why they choose to do this. I have no real intention of buying another Mac. I might have bought this to get Apple mirroring support but none of the other features really interest me TBH.

I think it's because it uses Intel's quick sync, which is an Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

thebman wrote: »

Something to do with h264 (I think)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm nonplussed so far, it's a complete (but not unexpected) slap in the face for power users, particularly those who use Mac as a UNIX workstation. I'm unfortunately thinking that I'll soon need a Linux machine (or a virtual one) on my desktop, which is something that I was happy to get rid of.

The good:
    Reminders is better than the iCal TODO list.
    MS Word, Excel etc all seem to be working.
    Safari feels faster.
    MATLAB works.

The bad:
    Calendar and Address Book need to lose the faux leather look (you can download skins for both to do this in fact)

The ugly:
    Python is there, but only just.
    Gfortran missing from the new Apple Clang compiler (not that many of us use fortran, but many scientific libraries installed from source need it to be there: OpenMPI, SciPy etc)

My iMac at home is running 10.8. Until these get fixed, I can't upgrade my work laptop. It's clear Apple don't give a toss about the academic userbase that they once had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Came across my first 10.8 casualty this evening. Subler, which remuxes MKVs without reencoding the h.264 video uses Perian, a now dead Quicktime component that doesn't work on Mountain Lion at all.

Fix here: http://code.google.com/p/subler/issues/detail?id=404#c12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

My first little Mountain Lion fault. I had Airplay Mirroring on to test a video file. Was playing an 11GB file over airplay to my ATV3. Flawless playback with no stuttering whatsoever and brilliant quality.

I turned Airplay off and the last time my MBP screen didn't resize to it's normal scale, but this time it did. Was grand until I opened iTunes and the toolbar on the top of the screen went like this.
    215295.jpg

I minimized iTunes and opened it again and it went back to normal. Only a small fault and both related to Airplay we're very insignificant.

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm nonplussed so far, it's a complete (but not unexpected) slap in the face for power users, particularly those who use Mac as a UNIX workstation. I'm unfortunately thinking that I'll soon need a Linux machine (or a virtual one) on my desktop, which is something that I was happy to get rid of.

The good:
    Reminders is better than the iCal TODO list.
    MS Word, Excel etc all seem to be working.
    Safari feels faster.
    MATLAB works.

The bad:
    Calendar and Address Book need to lose the faux leather look (you can download skins for both to do this in fact)

The ugly:
    Python is there, but only just.
    Gfortran missing from the new Apple Clang compiler (not that many of us use fortran, but many scientific libraries installed from source need it to be there: OpenMPI, SciPy etc)

My iMac at home is running 10.8. Until these get fixed, I can't upgrade my work laptop. It's clear Apple don't give a toss about the academic userbase that they once had.

Fortran and MPI on OS X has always been a bit of a pain, at least since 10.6. The version of openMPI installed with Xcode isn't configured for Gfortran and building openMPI from source to work with ifort can be a pain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Cheers - OpenMPI's now actually gone completely from the default install, I guess OpenMP is still there. I managed to get OpenMPI to install by disabling everything Fortran-related and it seems to work OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I installed ML on a macbook pro and tried it with target disc mode on a mac that does not support ML and it did not show on the screen.
    I then checked system preferences to see if I could restart on that disc and it did not show up.
    What I am saying is if you upgrade to ML you will not be able to use a mac that does not support it to recover from your HDD in the way I have said above if things go wrong.
    I find it runs lovely.I like it but for the fact that I can not find the HDD in target disc mode on my older mac if I have a problem.

Anyone else notice that 10.8 is eating up battery in sleep. I've seen it on a mid 2010 and late 2011 13" MBP. There's a few others threads on various other sites too.

Eating by how much? I don't see much more than 1 - 2% per hour. I'll bet people's machines are waking while asleep. I noticed that 10.8 reset the "Wake for Network Access" setting on my machine.

Check the energy saver panel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

5uspect wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that 10.8 is eating up battery in sleep. I've seen it on a mid 2010 and late 2011 13" MBP. There's a few others threads on various other sites too.

Is Power Nap enabled?

Powernap only works on RMBPs and 2011 or newer MBAs as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement

Powernap only works on RMBPs and 2011 or newer MBAs as far as I can tell.

Yeah - Power nap is the most recent machines only. A pity, it would have been a great sell for Mountain Lion - and no need to not have it work when plugged in.

As for Wake on Network Access - that seems to be available only when powered.

Yeah, my mistake, I thought 5uspect said one of the machines was a 2011 Air.

There was a bug in Lion in which the computer wouldn't sleep if Internet Sharing was enabled. I'm not sure if it was fixed in ML.

Right you are about the Wake on Network Access option!

I'll test what sort of drain I get on my 2011 15" MBP overnight tonight. I got a fright initially when I used it on batter for the first time after ML as it was draining quickly, but it turns out the screen was at full burn your eyeballs brightness.

Seems normal now.

WEll my Energy Saver panel allows the option to dim the screen when on battery power - enabled by default, and Wake for Network Access is only for when powered.

I can only assume then that it is off when on battery.

Arguably internet sharing should stop machines from sleeping. You are behaving as a router, and routers shouldn't sleep. That could be made more obvious though.

Arguably internet sharing should stop machines from sleeping. You are behaving as a router, and routers shouldn't sleep. That could be made more obvious though.

No, it's definitely a bug. If you manually tell the machine to sleep, it should sleep. It shouldn't just turn off the screen and pretend to sleep. I forgot about this bug when I was discharging the battery and when it reached 0 percent it just switched off, as if the power had failed.

So I left work at about 7pm last night. Battery fully charged.
    At about 10pm my battery was at about 53%, being on sleep since I left work.
    My partners 2011 13" has been behaving similarly. I'll disable wake for network for now.

If you type pmset -g log in Terminal, does it show any wakes between when you close the lid and opened it?

If you type pmset -g log in Terminal, does it show any wakes between when you close the lid and opened it?

Do you mean start logging with pmset -g pslog?

I reset the PRAM and NVRAM this afternoon and my battery level hasn't dropped between leaving the office and now. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

I'm starting to see some strange behaviour now in finder with regards to space available. I've a macbook pro retina, partitioned evenly between a windows install and OSX, about 120GB each.

Finder last night was reporting that there was 85 gb's free in the OSX partition which I knew was way too high. Ran omni disksweep and it reported 35gb's free.
    Open Disk Utility and ran a disk check, it reported problems with the disk and advised to reboot with cmd + R and repair disk.
    Repaired disk and reran the disk check - now all ok.

Finder then reported that there was 103GB free. Disk Utility and Omnidisk sweeper are both reporting 43gb's free.
    Finder is now reporting 73GB free today.
    Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Do you mean start logging with pmset -g pslog?

I reset the PRAM and NVRAM this afternoon and my battery level hasn't dropped between leaving the office and now. I'll keep an eye on it.

The command I gave will list any wake ups overnight. Just to see if that's what's causing the drain!

Mine seems to drain at the same rate as before...
    Time stamp                Domain              	Message                                                                    	Duration  	Delay     
    ==========                ======              	=======                                                                    	========  	=====     
    UUID: D49B1DD6-AB4F-4C27-981E-2DCF6F8D5EBA
    02/08/2012 19:13:27 IST  Sleep               	Idle Sleep Sleep: Using BATT (Charge:86%)                                  	44364 secs
    02/08/2012 19:13:27 IST  Assertions          	PID 86(apsd) Released ApplePushServiceTask "com.apple.apsd-waitingformessages-push.apple.com" 00:51:27  id:0xc00000813 Aggregate:0x40	
    02/08/2012 19:13:27 IST  WakeRequests        	Clients requested wake events: None                                        	
    03/08/2012 07:32:51 IST  Wake                	Wake due to EC.LidOpen: Using BATT (Charge:79%)

Advertisement