Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's called the Application Switcher. It's been around forever. Press CMD-tab to bring it up. There are a number of other shortcuts associated with it as well, such as pressing shift to go back, Q to quit, escape to cancel, down to activate expose, etc. I couldn't live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

squonk wrote: »
    Your issue might be with Gatekeeper. Pop into Security on Sys Prefs and change GK to allow all software. it may be that Paralells isn't bundled with a verifiable vendor cert.

You don't have to shut it off completely. If you right click on the app and choose open and open again it skips Gatekeeper.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's called the Application Switcher. It's been around forever. Press CMD-tab to bring it up. There are a number of other shortcuts associated with it as well, such as pressing shift to go back, Q to quit, escape to cancel, down to activate expose, etc. I couldn't live without it.

Yep, it's really handy. You can also just click on an application when holding CMD rather than cycle back and forward with repeated tabbing.

I've also just noticed that X11 is no longer included. I was redirected to the download page for XQuartz when I fired up Matlab. Seems to work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

Applied yesterday at lunch time, still no code, its a killer having no patience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not impressed with Power Nap. I just picked up my MacBook Air and it was very warm to touch and woke up way too quickly, suggesting it wasn't asleep at all. My understanding was that it would wake from time to time to check email, etc. If not, then I don't see the point of it. It's basically the same as running your machine in clamshell mode. There's no way you have could have Power Nap enabled when running on battery.

I've disabled it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Updated my mac there last night Mountain Lion finding its making my 2011 mac run a lot faster

The only thing that i dont like with the update is that it does not tell me how much time i have left on my barratry it just gives me the % hopeing they will fix it with a update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

finding the airplay very laggy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Upgrading to Lion then ML should not delete my apps and settings, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Upgrading to Lion then ML should not delete my apps and settings, right?

You don't need to upgrade to Lion first you can skip right over the release and go straight from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

DubDJ wrote: »
    You don't need to upgrade to Lion first you can skip right over the release and go straight from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

Perfect, didn't know that and the upgrade shouldn't wipe any files or settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I think ML eats my MBA battery power quicker. Anyone experiencing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Upgrading leaves everything intact. Have from from 10.6 -> 10.7 -> 10.8 and all my settings, files and applications are fine.

You're in for a HD reindex and if you use Time Machine, a large enough backup and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I'm not impressed with Power Nap. I just picked up my MacBook Air and it was very warm to touch and woke up way too quickly, suggesting it wasn't asleep at all. My understanding was that it would wake from time to time to check email, etc. If not, then I don't see the point of it. It's basically the same as running your machine in clamshell mode. There's no way you have could have Power Nap enabled when running on battery.

I've disabled it completely.

I thought this feature only ran when connected to power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've installed it. I like the look of Safari and the notification centre. Safari is faaaaasst.

Is there a way to configure notification centre to work with iTunes?
    Is iPhoto worth the upgrade? I only really use iPhoto 9 to manage my photo library.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Just got another Up to Date email. They sent the same code again. Their probably sending everyone the codes again after they ballsed up the first round.

It's not supposed to wipe any files and for most users everything is perfect once the upgrade is complete. BUT always have a backup. I wouldn't risk it TBH. I have an external HDD connected running Time Machine. And then I have a second external that I backup onto every few months just in case. I'm overly careful but I still think everyone should have at least 1 backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just updated now, now too big on the new dock. Would prefer more transparency. Haven't tried Safari yet as I'm quite happy with Chrome.

I use the old 2D dock still and the update was kind enough to remember the setting!

I thought this feature only ran when connected to power supply?

By default, yes, but it can be enabled for on battery power as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

3rd day waiting on a code, seriously pissed off at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

grizzly wrote: »
    Does anyone find their sync is off using airplay as an audio output? When watching streaming video it's poor. Perhaps I need to re-configure my Airport?

Installed Mountain Lion last night. Just tested Airplay with AppleTV and seriously poor sync. Video content and Audio is constantly stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

DerryRed wrote: »
    grizzly wrote: »
    Does anyone find their sync is off using airplay as an audio output? When watching streaming video it's poor. Perhaps I need to re-configure my Airport?

Installed Mountain Lion last night. Just tested Airplay with AppleTV and seriously poor sync. Video content and Audio is constantly stuttering.

This is the only feature I was interested in, but it's unusable for me.

Extremely smooth upgrade, I have to say. I had worries about how this yearly upgrade cycle was going to work out, but based on this experience I reckon Apple should adopted this more incremental approach to OS upgrades years ago.

The only small issue I've encountered is a delay on my MBA when waking from hibernation. I have it set so that I have to enter my password when waking from sleep. But since 10.8 there's now a slight delay before key strokes are recognised. Anyone else experienced this?

When I was testing Airplay last night, I found it worked quite well. No perceivable lag for general usage or watching media. I'll have to fire up a game tonight and see what the delay is like. Probably enough to make things unplayable.

I did notice one thing that disappointed me a little though. When I turn off Airplay mirroring, it didn't reset my MBP's resolution back to native (1650 * 1050)

Is this standard behaviour?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just got my code there after 3 days

When I was testing Airplay last night, I found it worked quite well. No perceivable lag for general usage or watching media. I'll have to fire up a game tonight and see what the delay is like. Probably enough to make things unplayable.

I did notice one thing that disappointed me a little though. When I turn off Airplay mirroring, it didn't reset my MBP's resolution back to native (1650 * 1050)

Is this standard behaviour?

Same thing happened to me. It's seems to be the only big with the whole update. If it is even a bug. I had to go back into the display settings and set it for my MacBook Pro. I'd imagine it's supposed to change back automatically.

Edit: Just seen a post on TUAW and it said if you use AirPlay a few times it eventually fixes itself and switches back to the MBP resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

The only small issue I've encountered is a delay on my MBA when waking from hibernation. I have it set so that I have to enter my password when waking from sleep. But since 10.8 there's now a slight delay before key strokes are recognised. Anyone else experienced this?

Yep I've noticed this as well on my Mabook Pro Retina. Its also taking longer to shut down now, it was practically instant before the mountain lion update.

Really not happy they removed Activity Window from Safari. I used it a lot and it'll be missed. Dunno why they removed such a handy feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Got my Up To Date code! Good timing, my MBPr is arriving early next week with Lion on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Waiting for my up to date code :(

Advertisement