Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple announced yesterday that their Q3 2012 results will be released on Tuesday, July 24th.

However last year during the conference call they announced that OS X Lion would be released the following day. This could be the same with Mountain Lion. It was supposed to be released the end of July so it fits in perfectly with that timeline.

So if Apple does the same as last year OS X Mountain Lion will be released on Wednesday July 25th at 6pm GMT (Irish Time).

Looking forward to it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the 24th or 25th looks likely. It should be going GM soon and they need about 2-3 weeks for developers to test their apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Yeah, the 24th or 25th looks likely. It should be going GM soon and they need about 2-3 weeks for developers to test their apps.

Will mountain run smoother than lion? since I upgraded to lion on my 2010 Mac book pro it's running sluggish and the beach ball keeps spinning when I open safari, iTunes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

There's supposed to be one final update released for 10.7 as well. Bringing it up to 10.7.5. I'd say it'll get people ready for ML and also get rid of MobileMe support in the settings. I thought it would be released this week with the 10.8 GM seeded to Devs. But what I've noticied is Apple seem to release software to Devs on Fridays. And releas stuff for consumers on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

fox007 wrote: »
    Will mountain run smoother than lion? since I upgraded to lion on my 2010 Mac book pro it's running sluggish and the beach ball keeps spinning when I open safari, iTunes etc

Unlikely because that's not a Lion problem. It's an issue with your particular set-up. I've a 2009 MBP running Lion with one of those issues. You probably need to do a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just saw the minimum spec and they have dropped support for many older Macs. I'm hugely disappointed as I was planning a clean install on my 2007 mini.

I'm half tempted to go back to Snow Leopard as I'd love Samba to work again.

Really bad form from Apple. Are we to expect 4 years lifespan from a machine now? Only a couple of months ago I helped a girl in work buy a MacBook Air to replace her 10 year old TiBook.

• Advertisement

You can get Samba back without downgrading. See my last post in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056334078

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

stimpson wrote: »
    Really bad form from Apple. Are we to expect 4 years lifespan from a machine now? Only a couple of months ago I helped a girl in work buy a MacBook Air to replace her 10 year old TiBook.

That person that upgraded probably was not on the latest OS X but Tiger or something.

If you want to be on the latest OS I would expect to update H/W every 4 years.

You can get Samba back without downgrading. See my last post in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056334078

Nice one. I've been looking for a fix for ages. Lion with Samba it is so.

brav wrote: »
    That person that upgraded probably was not on the latest OS X but Tiger or something.

If you want to be on the latest OS I would expect to update H/W every 4 years.

I think it was Tiger, but the TiBook was a completely different architecture. There are Core 2 Duos that will run Mountain Lion. Macs with the older Intel graphics chipsets could probably run ML if Apple chose to ship drivers.

Apple dropping support for machines that seem like they could still run ML is annoying, but it's nothing new. As best I can remember, 4-5 years has always been the cutoff, with Snow Leopard dropping support for some machines that were less than 3 years old. This is one area where Windows PC users have an advantage since Microsoft has far greater motivation to make Windows work on older hardware.

Still, a mid-2007 Mini would be 5 years old now. That's actually pretty good going if you bought the machine in 2007. The Mini has gone through long periods of neglect though, so anyone with that particular model may suffer more since Apple was still selling it until early 2009.

I'm hoping I might get another OS upgrade out of my 2009 MBP, but the graphics card is on the current cut-off point for ML, so I may not.

• Advertisement

Apple dropping support for machines that seem like they could still run ML is annoying, but it's nothing new. As best I can remember, 4-5 years has always been the cutoff, with Snow Leopard dropping support for some machines that were less than 3 years old. This is one area where Windows PC users have an advantage since Microsoft has far greater motivation to make Windows work on older hardware.

SL dropped PPC support which was reasonable as they had shifted to new architecture. Lion had a cutoff at 64 bit processors. Again a reasonable cut to make as they could drop 32 bit support in the kernel. This seems to be fairly arbitrary as the mini has a Core2Duo so should have enough welly for the OS. I don't see any new features that would require the latest and greatest video chipsets, so I figure its' planned obsolescence.
    Still, a mid-2007 Mini would be 5 years old now. That's actually pretty good going if you bought the machine in 2007. The Mini has gone through long periods of neglect though, so anyone with that particular model may suffer more since Apple was still selling it until early 2009.

I'm hoping I might get another OS upgrade out of my 2009 MBP, but the graphics card is on the current cut-off point for ML, so I may not.

I know my mini has had a good innings, but it still does all I need of it (web, torrent and Plex Client and Server) and I've invested a few quid in upgrades (waiting in vain for a USB3 mini to ship) which will be lost unless the next mini has eSATA. Coupled with the fact that my MacBook and work machine will make the cut, it's going to be annoying that the mini can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

GM seeded to developers this evening. Anyone going to bite the bullet? :)

Apple just released the Golden Master seed of OS X 10.8 to developers. Should be out for consumers on the 25th hopefully.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll be trying to find how to turn OFF notification centre as quick as possible.

Personally I think Notification Centre will be invaluable. Even if you have alerts disabled (there's a Do Not Disturb switch), being able to swipe once to reveal all your notifications is really convenient. I can understand you wanting to disable alerts that pop-up and are a distraction (one of the reasons I never liked Growl), but I don't know why you'd want to disable Notification Centre entirely. It doesn't get in your way. Just swipe out when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Can you install ML straight from SL, or will I have to use my Lion install then buy ML then install that?

This will all be on the .1 or .2, to avoid Apples public Beta period.

No, you can go straight from SL to ML. No need to purchase or install Lion.

It's kind of strange that Preview and TextEdit now support iCloud given that they have no iOS counterparts. Although it's handy if you have more than one Mac, I guess.

Safari 6 flies! Scrolling is silky smooth.

It's kind of strange that Preview and TextEdit now support iCloud given that they have no iOS counterparts. Although it's handy if you have more than one Mac, I guess.

Can't wait for the Omnibar in Safari. And better iCloud syncing. I sometimes can't remember websites i've been on with my Mac. It'll be handy having them ll in sync now.

It's kind of strange that Preview and TextEdit now support iCloud given that they have no iOS counterparts.

Not yet anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Any files created in textedit and preview work fine on any text or pdf app on iOS surely? If you use iCloud does it not just sync to the phones memory and then you open it in your favorite app?

They do on Android anyway, I have been syncing them vis dropbox and other apps for ages with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Amazing. Chrome feels like firefox now. How did they make it so fast? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

How do I go about claiming my upgrade to Mountain Lion?

How do I go about claiming my upgrade to Mountain Lion?

There will be instruction here when it is released:

http://www.apple.com/ie/osx/uptodate/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

There will be instruction here when it is released:

http://www.apple.com/ie/osx/uptodate/

Always on the trolley SP :)

I had read that earlier but got confused by this part :confused:
    Customers must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchasing their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between 11 June 2012 and the date when Mountain Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from the OS X Mountain Lion release date to make a request.

Yeah, it's very poorly worded. Just ignore the first sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but if I upgrade to ML will I have to reinstall all the applications, such as MS office and photoshop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but if I upgrade to ML will I have to reinstall all the applications, such as MS office and photoshop ?

Not if you do an upgrade install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Bugger just saw that only 2011 models onwards support Wireless Mirroring in ML. That was the feature I was looking forward to the most!

Advertisement