Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hmm, I think that's for external monitor resolution only. If you select the scaled option, does it show a list of resolutions?

I should really just install it, I've got a developer account! I'm just in the middle of a few things and don't want the downtime!

From Apple Insider
    MLAirPlay.6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭McFry

fjon wrote: »
    Did you ever try this out? I'm pretty disappointed too that my laptop can't use AirPlay mirroring, but this app may work instead.

I tried it and it works very well, haven't set up the audio on it yet though but I didn't need to seeing as the TV I used was right beside my monitor. 2010 MBP, here's hoping that Airplay works anyway. I usually don't mirror, I use the MBP in clamshell mode but set it as a second screen when it's open.

Left to right: TV, monitor, MBP.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68056707@N03/7606410224/in/photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Hmm, I think that's for external monitor resolution only. If you select the scaled option, does it show a list of resolutions?

I should really just install it, I've got a developer account! I'm just in the middle of a few things and don't want the downtime!

From Apple Insider
    MLAirPlay.6.png

Hmm, as you can see from the image I posted, there is no option to choose my Apple TV for AirPlay mirroring so it's definitely not supported, and the 'scaled' option just lets you choose the resolution if you want to. Bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Any other features worth the price of admission for those of us who won't be able to use AirPlay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gatekeeper will be pretty cool, but only really useful for people who have no idea what they're doing and decide to install any apps that they see on dodgy sites. Apart from that, notifications maybe? Oh, dictation?

• Advertisement

That's up to you to decide! Here's the list.

I'm glad fullscreen apps play nicely with multiple displays now, and the multiple backup locations for TM backups is a welcome addition too.

That's up to you to decide! Here's the list.

I'm glad fullscreen apps play nicely with multiple displays now, and the multiple backup locations for TM backups is a welcome addition too.

How do they? I have 3 monitors (& running ML) and the only difference I can see is you can choose which display to make the window go fullscreen in, the other two still have that stupid dark linen background!

WHAT? The feature list lied to me! (Or I misinterpreted it).

Well, time to do a Conor Hogan (:P :P :P) and moan about it whenever I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

So what are the chances of this being released tomorrow? I saw some rumours of this but nothing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

So what are the chances of this being released tomorrow? I saw some rumours of this but nothing recently.

We will find out at 9pm GMT time tonight when Apple will have an earnings call

• Advertisement

No issues with GM seed so release is imminent. Wouldn't get your hopes up though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I'd say it will be tonight.

So who's going to update right away?

I will probably hang on a few days and make sure I do a time machine back up before hand but generally I think it will be a good update (on Lion anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

So who's going to update right away?

Yeah probably.

If you have more than one mac do you need to buy two copies?

Also does the screen resolution of your mac impact the quality of Air Play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Yeah probably.

If you have more than one mac do you need to buy two copies?

Also does the screen resolution of your mac impact the quality of Air Play ?

No one purchase is good for all your macs like a normal MAS purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The GM has been working perfectly for me, but I think I'll wait to get my license when I get my new machine in a few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just as rumoured from the first post on the thread Mountain Lion will be released tomorrow for $19.99 (€15.99) at 6pm GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Thinking of ditching time machine as a backup option before I install this - it doesn't create a bootable backup.

Can anyone recommend a backup utility that can boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Carbon Copy Cloner.

CCC is good, but in a pinch, booting into the Recovery HD and using Disk Utility to restore your install drive to another drive works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thinking of ditching time machine as a backup option before I install this - it doesn't create a bootable backup.

You normally install from a recovery disk and then your TM backup overlays onto it.

For OSX version changes TM will do a migration rather then a restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

but the servers are getting hammered so might wanna wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Available now. Download in progress :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Don't forget to claim your free copy here if you bought a new Mac or are buying one soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

"error in the appstore"

"item temporarily unavailable"

is all i get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Downloading. Time to go out for a bit!

Gonna login to my MacBook Pro now and give it a try downloading. I'm wary because of the issues people seem to be having.

Also Safari has been released as a seperate update. I'm running Lion and using the new Safari as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

Applied for my Up To Date free upgrade, still waiting on reply

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Just got the Up to Date emails. Downloading now.

• Advertisement

I'm currently downloading all the app updates before I jump on ML. Pretty heavy file sizes. Around 1GB - 1.5GB per app. Updated iWork, iPhoto, iMovie and Safari. All I can say is thank God for UPC broadband. Updates are flying by so far. Gonna go for the big 4.5GB now in a bit. Are people still having issues?

Advertisement