Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Hi guys, I have a mid 2007 MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz core2duo with 4Gb's of RAM, how would Mountain Lion run on this? Would a clean install be ok or would it slow it down? I currently have Snow Leopard on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

silvine wrote: »
    Can iMessage send texts to non Apple phones?

How does the Notification Centre compare to Growl?

Is the notes app better/any different to Simplenote?

Facebook integration can ask my bolix (just saying).

At 15.99 I probably will upgrade but I might wait a few days to see what the teething problems are like. I'm also unsure about to just upgrade or pip for the fresh install.
    it's worth 15.99 for air play mirroring alone. anyone who uses a projector on a daily basis will be jumping on this easily.

buy an apple tv, buy mountain lion, you have a pretty darn good projector alternative if you have a tv :).

iMessage cannot send messages to non apple phones, unless that phone has AOL support.

----

anyone who has downloaded it, can i erase my disk and start afresh? or do i have to do an upgrade my iMac is quite slow at the moment and want to get rid of the fluff i've a 2.93ghz i7 and 12gb 1333mhz DDR3

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

A few lil questions if any body knows the answer,

1, how can i get notes, launchpad and reminders off my dock? it wont let me drag them off like normal

2. in my system preferences theres no mirror option, 2010 mac mini(3 gen's old) does that mean it doesnt have it?

The new safari so far is very nice, very like iOS

They also made the little light/symbol that show you what apps are open tiny now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Can you configure iMessage so your sender ID is a mobile number rather than apple ID?

Thats coming soon with iOS 6. It's why I never use iMessage now. But with iOS 6 you can tie your iMessage email and phone number together so you can recieve messages sent to your number on your Mac/iPad/iPod etc.
    silvine wrote: »
    Can iMessage send texts to non Apple phones?

How does the Notification Centre compare to Growl?

Is the notes app better/any different to Simplenote?

Facebook integration can ask my bolix (just saying).

At 15.99 I probably will upgrade but I might wait a few days to see what the teething problems are like. I'm also unsure about to just upgrade or pip for the fresh install.

Nope as the poster above said only iPhones with iOS 5 and above. Never used growl but i'd say most people will hop on NC as it's built in. I'd imagine Notes would be better because of the iCloud intergration but maybe it lacks a few features. If your worried about app compatibilty check out this site Roaring Apps. It has a pretty comprehensive list of supported apps.

anyone who has downloaded it, can i erase my disk and start afresh? or do i have to do an upgrade my iMac is quite slow at the moment and want to get rid of the fluff i've a 2.93ghz i7 and 12gb 1333mhz DDR3

There is a way to to start fresh. If you already have ML installed you can download this tool from apple and create a bootable disk. (Make sure you backup) Erase the drive and install Mountain Lion. Apple updated the tool today so when you open the Application it let's you select either Lion or ML.

A few lil questions if any body knows the answer,

1, how can i get notes, launchpad and reminders off my dock? it wont let me drag them off like normal

2. in my system preferences theres no mirror option, 2010 mac mini(3 gen's old) does that mean it doesnt have it?

The new safari so far is very nice, very like iOS

They also made the little light/symbol that show you what apps are open tiny now.

1. If you hold it and drag and then just leave it for a second or two until the puff of smoke appears it should work. I thought the same as you and tried a second time and it eventually worked.

2. No AirPlay Mirroring is only available for Mac's from 2011 and older.

3. Yeah I noticed the little light has gotten smaller and moved towards the bottom of the screen more. At first I thought maybe the screen resolution was off and pushing the dot off screen but it's just a new feature. Not as easily noticeable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm just upgrading and hoping it will fix the recent sluggishness, let you know if it makes any improvement in a bit, it's still downloading.

Bit weird that we both have high i7's and the same problem. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

DubDJ wrote: »

2. No AirPlay Mirroring is only available for Mac's from 2011 and older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

I just filled out the form for the free upgrade on my new MacBook Retina, does anyone know how long it takes to become eligible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

digiman wrote: »
    I just filled out the form for the free upgrade on my new MacBook Retina, does anyone know how long it takes to become eligible for this?
    According to the T&C's, up to 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpt1980

i was talking to customer care today and was told it will be up to 72 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the deal with Icloud? Is there anything there that wasn't there before?

First impressions are good. Running a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Airplay is a big one for me. And it works brilliantly. I opened an avi video file using preview and went fullscreen to a 42" LG TV (Using the 1080p ATV3). Picture was absolutely brilliant, no stuttering and all was perfect.

Dictation works a lot better than I thought it would. Also Notification Centre should become a bit more useful as time goes on and more apps support it.

The new Safari is brilliant. Omnibar, iCloud support, pinch to see all open tabs, the new loading bar looks pretty nice too. It's also so much faster.

Performance wise i'm seeing no changes. Except it boots up and shuts down slower than before.

iMessage will become more interesting with iOS 6 this fall. Share sheets will be handy too once Facebook support is added (Yes I use FB).

Also I like how the trash can looks more 3D or something :D

My few favourite feature so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I wonder what the chances of Google + being added to the share feature....

How do I get flash back working again, every video is blocked including youtube and the ads on boards?

When flicking through lightroom some pictures were fully scrambled, besides that it all looks good so far. Safari is miles better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just reinstall or update to the latest version of flash.

Wouldn't download in Safari, downloaded through chrome no bother, working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Does anyone find their sync is off using airplay as an audio output? When watching streaming video it's poor. Perhaps I need to re-configure my Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So Safari has an Omnibar now? Interesting. Might make the switch from Chrome so.

Let's hope the IOS version brings in an Omnibar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

DubDJ wrote: »
    1. If you hold it and drag and then just leave it for a second or two until the puff of smoke appears it should work. I thought the same as you and tried a second time and it eventually worked.

You can also right click/two finger tap on trackpad, on the icon and untick the "show in dock" option.

Does anyone know what the deal is with getting other apps to work with Notifications? (Plex,Twitter etc)

Is it up to the app developers to add support for Notifications or am I missing something where you can just add them in?

I could see this replacing Growl it works smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

First impressions are positive from me. I've an early 2009 iMac i7 and a mid-2011 Mac Mini. The update went fine and I got the first impression that icons were a bit clearer. No doubt everything has been spruced up for retina displays now.

My iMac has OS X Server installed and really slowed down during startup as a result of installing that. I'm kind of sorry I did install it tbh. The ML upgrade seems to have speeded up that start time but by comparison, my Mini's start time has slowed a bit. My iMac crashed on restart after installation but I seem to remember something similar happening during Lion as well. It seems to be it's thing, otherwise it's fine during normal working.

NC isn't as annoying as I figured it'd be. It might have been an idea to ask users on first startup if they wanted to log onto their twitter accounts. Not a bit twitter person but it can be useful. The twitter setup is fairly hidden away so you don't instantly spot it. The turn off notification center switch is hidden as well. I wouldn't have copped it had I not been reading some reviews of ML during my installs.

Gatekeeper hasn't been the pain that I thought it was going to be. Their default settings seem to cover most sane apps. I noticed a few that aren't functioning but they're not a big deal for me. I can always turn GK off if needs be when I need them.

iCloud integration is nice though I haven't seen how I can answer a message directly from NC yet without opening iMessage's app. I thought there was a share sheet for iMessages coming? I might have missed it. It's early days anyway and I didn't get installed til late last night. I haven't tried out pages and the other iWork apps yet.

So far my impressions of ML are very positive. My mini feels snappier as a result of the upgrade. I don't think I'd be saying that if I was running Windows :). My iMac seems normal but I think that machine needs a resinstall at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

just updated one of my macbook pro's i7 and parallels is now not working and i have to pay to upgrade to new version!! feckers.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've an 09 iMac so I can't use mirroring. I'm not on Facebook, don't use Gamecentre, use Chrome as opposed to Safari so I think I just wasted €16.

The only 'new' thing I seem to have gotten is the notification centre which isn't a big deal really. They were on about iCloud being a big thing in Mountain Lion but I can't see anything new in it that wasn't in Lion.

And I don't know how or why (or how to fix it) but the colours have changed on my screen now. It all looks a lot paler. But maybe I'm just imagining that.

So for a non-techy, what am I missing or what other benefit can I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I feel like Apple have blown it with iCloud. Using google in conjunction with dropbox will keep all your contacts, emails, calendars in sync and give you far more functionality in terms of sharing docs and files.

The only thing I find iCloud useful for is automated back up.

iMessage is a bit of a mess in Mountain Lion too. Buggy and a bit confusing.

Airplay mirroring works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone have any luck getting a code with the up-to-date program?? It seems to be an absolute shambles, I submitted my request yesterday and still have heard nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athena14

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that we don't have facebook integration?

Their website has said for a while that the facebook integration won't be available till the autumn

just updated one of my macbook pro's i7 and parallels is now not working and i have to pay to upgrade to new version!! feckers.:mad:

Yeah, Paralells is one app that wasn't working for me either. I only bought Paralells a short while ago. Not going to upgrade for more money.

Your issue might be with Gatekeeper. Pop into Security on Sys Prefs and change GK to allow all software. it may be that Paralells isn't bundled with a verifiable vendor cert.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yeah I've read a couple of places last night that it's not coming right away...

I purposely didn't read in to this too much before release, as i didn't want to get caught up in the hype....Now that i have it, it's quite good, notification centre is pretty cool, the iCloud integration is pretty slick I have to say, the notes application is going to be such a time saver.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've an 09 iMac so I can't use mirroring. I'm not on Facebook, don't use Gamecentre, use Chrome as opposed to Safari so I think I just wasted €16.

The only 'new' thing I seem to have gotten is the notification centre which isn't a big deal really. They were on about iCloud being a big thing in Mountain Lion but I can't see anything new in it that wasn't in Lion.

You get voice dictation, and improved iCloud integration. If you use a supported app you can browse file on iCloud or locally from the file>open menu. Gatekeeper should help you out when installing apps if you're non techy and are unsure about what is safe.
    And I don't know how or why (or how to fix it) but the colours have changed on my screen now. It all looks a lot paler. But maybe I'm just imagining that.

Go to System Preferences>Display>Color.
    Here you can select different colour profiles or even calibrate your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

I was playing around with my MacBook and I stumbled on an useful feature for me. I don't know what I did or how to get it back up?

It's like a mini dock in the centre of the screen that allows you to toggle between all open apps. What's the keyboard combination for this? Thanks

• Advertisement

Cmd+Tab I think it is. Same as the Windows equivalent. It's either the Cmd or Option key, most likely Option now I think of it. I just do it automatically. I don't think about it anymore :)

Advertisement