Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) to be released July 25th?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Bugger just saw that only 2011 models onwards support Wireless Mirroring in ML. That was the feature I was looking forward to the most!

Yep, very strict cut offs for AirPlay Mirroring. My MacBook Pro is under 1 year old and I've seen conflicting reports on whether I'll get it or not. Think I'll just make the cut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I wonder will there be ways around mirroring for older models? I've a 2009 macbook pro and I was really looking forward to this!

edit:

found this might give it a go

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/02/23/airplay-mirror-your-macs-screen-to-apple-tv-with-airparrot/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Does anyone know a the complete list of information supported in notification centre? Does it have twitter support?

Also is there alternate ways of viewing notification banners?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Notification Centre is pretty much the same as its iOS counterpart. It does support Twitter, but only for mentions and DMs. This will probably change once the third party Mac clients add support.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Notification Center is a little underwhelming so far. I get a lot of alerts in banners but most of them don't end up in the sidebar. Also is there no way to sync your notifications between phone and mac? That would've been cool.

Time will tell if third parties can make better use of it. Have to say the gesture for opening it is sweet.

• Advertisement

acous wrote: »
    Notification Center is a little underwhelming so far. I get a lot of alerts in banners but most of them don't end up in the sidebar. Also is there no way to sync your notifications between phone and mac? That would've been cool.

Time will tell if third parties can make better use of it. Have to say the gesture for opening it is sweet.

One of the new features of iOS 6 is iCloud support for Notification Centre. I can see it coming to OS X soon. But for now i'll be glad of it on the iPhone and iPad.

Rumours that Apple has planned overnights in their stores for July 24th have started to surface. A July 25th Mountain Lion release date likely.

More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

GM seeded to developers this evening. Anyone going to bite the bullet? :)

Just did. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Much better? How hard is it to do a clean install? My mac on lion is pretty slow (2011 MBP 13" base model).

Probably going to be €24.99 isn't it?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Much better? How hard is it to do a clean install? My mac on lion is pretty slow (2011 MBP 13" base model).

Probably going to be €24.99 isn't it?

Meh its a little faster on my machine, but I didn't do a clean install. I think its actually supposed to be €19.99

• Advertisement

Meh its a little faster on my machine, but I didn't do a clean install. I think its actually supposed to be €19.99

I think I need to, something is slowing my machine desperate.

If its $19.99 in the US I don't think it'll equate to the same price here, maybe €22.99/£19.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

French price is €15.99

$19.99 US so for us should be €15.99. When it comes to App store downloads we get the normal prices just like on the iOS app store.

Whatever the price, this is absoloute madness:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Are you talking about the memory usage of kernel task? Seems normal enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

crazyderk wrote: »
    I wonder will there be ways around mirroring for older models? I've a 2009 macbook pro and I was really looking forward to this!

edit:

found this might give it a go

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/02/23/airplay-mirror-your-macs-screen-to-apple-tv-with-airparrot/

Did you ever try this out? I'm pretty disappointed too that my laptop can't use AirPlay mirroring, but this app may work instead.

DubDJ wrote: »
    $19.99 US so for us should be €15.99. When it comes to App store downloads we get the normal prices just like on the iOS app store.
    French price is €15.99

Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Airplay was the main reason I was thinking of upgrading. If it won't work on my '10 Imac I don't know if I'll bother.

Oh and I didn't realise until now but software update is integrated into the mac app store.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm relatively new to mac and this will be my first taste of an update.

How does this work? Is it a fresh install? Is it a painless process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

fjon wrote: »
    Did you ever try this out? I'm pretty disappointed too that my laptop can't use AirPlay mirroring, but this app may work instead.

haven't had time to look at it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm relatively new to mac and this will be my first taste of an update.

How does this work? Is it a fresh install? Is it a painless process?

When you download it from the app store an Install OS X application shows up on your dock. Click that, agree to all the legalese and hit install. Your Mac restarts and installs Mountain Lion. It took ~20 minutes for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

How does mirroring differ from going to "computer" on Apple Tv and selecting media to play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    How does mirroring differ from going to "computer" on Apple Tv and selecting media to play ?

You can mirror your entire desktop, not just media.

Now that I think about it, I'm not looking forward to seeing how Airplay works with my 720p AppleTV.

Now that I think about it, I'm not looking forward to seeing how Airplay works with my 720p AppleTV.

I have a 2010 MBP, but I noticed now that there is an option in my displays to "Show mirroring options in menubar when available", so maybe those rumours are false about having to be 2011 MBP. I'm currently updating my ATV2 to the beta software to test it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I have a 2010 MBP, but I noticed now that there is an option in my displays to "Show mirroring options in menubar when available", so maybe those rumours are false about having to be 2011 MBP. I'm currently updating my ATV2 to the beta software to test it out

They normally put a little asterix or a number with a statement down the bottom about what's compatible and what isn't but there's none of these beside the Airplay section on the Mountain Lion description page on the Apple website so maybe you're right

They normally put a little asterix or a number with a statement down the bottom about what's compatible and what isn't but there's none of these beside the Airplay section on the Mountain Lion description page on the Apple website so maybe you're right

Unfortunately I tried it with no joy, and I know why. Before the 2011 Mac range, the graphics cards could not do on-board h.264 encodings. Now they can, so that is why airplay mirroring is restricted to 2011+ macs, and iPhone 4s and iPad 2. Apple don't want the conversions done on CPU as it could get a little hot, not like we're not used to that already

I have a 2011 MBP so I'm fine with that, I was more thinking how Mountain Lion handles scaling with a 720p ATV. Apparently you can chose to scale native resolution, or match ATV resolution.

• Advertisement

I have a 2011 MBP so I'm fine with that, I was more thinking how Mountain Lion handles scaling with a 720p ATV. Apparently you can chose to scale native resolution, or match ATV resolution.

There's a scaled option here if that's what you're talking about?

Advertisement