Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

theKramer wrote: »
    True, I suppose. If Ulster can do it with Paddy Jackson, why not us with JJ.

I don't think the Jackson thing really worked out all that well for Ulster though - I think they would have done better in the final with Humphreys on from the start.

Its sort of impossible to judge where JJ is right now until he plays at senior level. I can see him getting a game or two while the internationals are away - the question is where he gets them at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't think the Jackson thing really worked out all that well for Ulster though - I think they would have done better in the final with Humphreys on from the start.

Its sort of impossible to judge where JJ is right now until he plays at senior level. I can see him getting a game or two while the internationals are away - the question is where he gets them at.

Hard to say, Humph was as bad or worse in the QF as Jackson unfortunately was in the final. It wasn't a factor in the result of the game and in the long run starting Jackson was probably the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I'd like to see Keatley getting a proper run in the team. JJ should get a few games too to help his development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I expect Jackson to make a lot of mistakes for Ulster this year but I think it will really make him a better player in the long run.

As for JJ at out-half, I think he should at least be tried there. Keatley is ahead of him atm but we'll have to trust Penney's judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

danthefan wrote: »
    Hard to say, Humph was as bad or worse in the QF as Jackson unfortunately was in the final. It wasn't a factor in the result of the game and in the long run starting Jackson was probably the right call.

In a final there is no long-term, you go out to win. It could have and may have negatively affected his development and confidence.

JJ still makes too many mistakes, he shouldn't be playing (or subbing) 10 just yet where he has to make all the decisions, it puts too much pressure on him. He should be brought in at 12 first while Keatley is at 10 and see where that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think the format of having 2 out halves at 10 and 12 is the way forward for a lot of teams, it worked for New Zealand for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Clareman wrote: »
    I think the format of having 2 out halves at 10 and 12 is the way forward for a lot of teams, it worked for New Zealand for years.

Traditionally NZ invented the idea of the '2nd 5/8th' right? A second play maker.

Personally I think the game has changed that it's not required - especially due to the physical nature generally required by the fly-half these days, and generally the level of skill they represent.

I wouldn't imagine SBW or Nonu as fly-half types :D

Still, I'd like to see Keatley and JJ on the field together, perhaps a test in a couple of low level pro12 games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    But then what is his actual position?
    Honestly though I don't like talking about him too much as he is still a kid (can he play U20's next year?) and there is too much hype on him already. Then when you look at the other options available to Munster he is a fair bit down the pecking order. ROG and Keatley are ahead of him at 10 and Downey and Barnes would be ahead of him at 12. Lualala could be an option at 12 too.
    I think his position is 12 at the moment, and as we have both keatley and ROG already at 10 JJ can learn from both from playing at 12
    He's overage for 20s in september and next year. There's been very big hype placed on him since he was starring for rockwell in the must win cup.
    profitius wrote: »
    I'd like to see Keatley getting a proper run in the team. JJ should get a few games too to help his development.
    Id like to see JJ getting games at 12 beside ROG or Keatley playing as a 2nd 5/8th as it will help him develop further as a outhalf. Playing at
    Clareman wrote: »
    Didnt Carter, and several other SH outhalfs, play 12 at the beginning of their careers before making their way into the outhalf position

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think they did, usually cause the starting 10 was fairly well established so the 12 could have a bit more time as well as gain experience of playing

Academy profiles updated for next season
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/academyprofiles.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Can someone tell me of the potential of Cathal O'Flaherty. I've heard some really good stuff about him, but then why wasn't he involved in the u20s?

Hagz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me of the potential of Cathal O'Flaherty. I've heard some really good stuff about him, but then why wasn't he involved in the u20s?
    overage for the 20s that played in world cup a few weeks ago.
    was behind jordi murphy, aaron connelly, shane buckley last year for 20s. dont think he went to world cup but was involved in some 6 nations games.
    good player and has done well in AIL. dont think he's played with Munster A yet

ormond lad wrote: »
    overage for the 20s that played in world cup a few weeks ago.
    was behind jordi murphy, aaron connelly, shane buckley last year for 20s. dont think he went to world cup but was involved in some 6 nations games.
    good player and has done well in AIL. dont think he's played with Munster A yet

Oh, I thought he was a second-row. He's 6'6?

Oh, I thought he was a second-row. He's 6'6?
    Plays both flanker and 2nd row but has played a lot more in the backrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

At the risk of overstepping things, if I'm thinking of the right guy, he reminds of many Munster forwards, not really physically as strong as guys from the other provinces of the same age but maybe with better skills.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Plays both flanker and 2nd row but has played a lot more in the backrow

I know this isn't the appropriate thread but form you knowledge can you tell me whether Eoghan Masterson has played more at lock or back-row?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CJ Stander has just come on for the Bulls against the Sharks. There's just over 10mins left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

CatFromHue wrote: »
    CJ Stander has just come on for the Bulls against the Sharks. There's just over 10mins left.

Missed it, how'd he go?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

didn't do an awful lot but the game was over by the time he came on so there wasn't an awful for him to do either!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Was anybody watching the Bulls game last week? Thought he missed 2 bad tackles for a guy that's meant to be a good tackler . One out on the line against a wing but it was a must make and he missed it. The game was won at that stage but you'd like him to be getting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

6'6" athletic and skillful. He looks a very good prospect.

He didn't make the U20 squad because he was just over 16st and thats not much for somebody of his height. As with most young players in Munster he'll need time to bulk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

What abut the props in the academy is James Cronin any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

As with most young players in Munster he'll need time to bulk up.

Why are munster players slower than others to bulk up? Different academy programme ? :confused:

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Why are munster players slower than others to bulk up? Different academy programme ? :confused:

No good looking girls to impress down south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

As with most young players in Munster he'll need time to bulk up.

No "Nandos"?

I know this isn't the appropriate thread but form you knowledge can you tell me whether Eoghan Masterson has played more at lock or back-row?
    Dont know much about him. is he the portlaoise youths player? if im thinking of the same guy. he's more of a 2nd row
    nerd69 wrote: »
    Cronins good enough but havent seen him play enough recently to judge. was on munster youths with a few friends of mine but wasnt a stand out then compared to some of the other props.
    Smaller numbers than Leinster/Ulster means the better players in Leinster have to work harder to make it.
    Limerick sides traditionally never have been huge.
    Many of the Limerick schools didnt have their own dedicated gyms like Rockwell, the Cork schools and many schools in Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm currently doing up an excel file on the Munster squad and just noticed that last years squad (including Hayes and Flannery) had nearly 3,500 Munster by the end of the season caps while this year the squad is starting out with 2,207, that a serious loss of experience.

Last year, the squad totalled 655 caps between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

phog wrote: »
    I'm currently doing up an excel file on the Munster squad and just noticed that last years squad (including Hayes and Flannery) had nearly 3,500 Munster by the end of the season caps while this year the squad is starting out with 2,207, that a serious loss of experience.

Last year, the squad totalled 655 caps between them.
    Or perhaps look upon it as the squad being younger & hungry for sucess with a new coach willing to instill new ideas

No good looking girls to impress down south.

Actually, it's too much sex with good looking Munster women that's keeping them thin. We don't lock our guys up in all boys boarding schools.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

Only seen him briefly, but he's looked good. I've high-ish hopes for Kilcoyne but I think Cronin could be better again. Tbf, Healy has set a standard i can't see either of them reaching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement