Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lelantos wrote: »
    Nope, you chose which package you want, TP or M

Ah. That's a shame. Presumably the musgrave package is quite cheap then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

.ak wrote: »

Same price terrace tickets per game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lelantos wrote: »
    Nope, you chose which package you want, TP or M

No, same diff,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Earls at 15 was completely untested against England. He was excellent in attack but I wouldn't move him back to 15 based on it. Keep him at 13 and let him develop in one position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does the ST not cover games at Musgrave?
    Depends which 1 you have, there are 3 options for Supporters Club members, you can have Musgrave only, Thomond only or a combined ticket, the majority of members have Thomond only I believe. It used to be a benefit to have a combined ticket as you got first option on any additional tickets, but with the additional members now that doesn't happen anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Squad Profile page updated for next season, no new player photos yet.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/squadprofiles.php

Squad Profile page updated for next season, no new player photos yet.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/squadprofiles.php

I live for new Squad Profile pics of DOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Looking at Munsterfans, I'd say a majority of people want to see Earls at Fullback next season. I hadn't really thought about it, but it will be really interesting to see what combination Penney goes for in the first HEC game.

I live for new Squad Profile pics of DOC.

It's strange to think that DOC has 66 more Munster appearances than POC. Just shows how lucky DOC has been with injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Earls should be on the wing. He is an excellent try scorer. He is not a bad center but a better winger.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried Howlett at 15, McGahan tried him there at the start of his reign. Dougie did play fullback for Auckland when Rokocoko and Caucau were Auckland's wingers and he definitely has the rugby sixth sense for the positioning etc. His kicking game might be a weakness though. In terms of alternatives, Jones didn't look great when he came back from injury while Hurley is a good fullback, but nothing more than that really.

The biggest advantage of putting Earls at 15 is his acceleration, if he can learn to feed off Laulala he could be dangerous when running lines and joining the attack. We really do miss Warwick and his ability to be a playmaker in the midfield.

What Penney decides to do with Earls will be one of his biggest challenges. That and phasing out ROG.

What Penney decides to do with Earls will be one of his biggest challenges. That and phasing out ROG.

Earls to 10 and ROG to 15? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't rule out O'Dea at fullback, he's looked decent in his chances on the wing and has played a fair bit at fullback in the AIL, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Don't rule out O'Dea at fullback, he's looked decent in his chances on the wing and has played a fair bit at fullback in the AIL, afaik.

And Scanlon.

I'm a bit of a fan of O'Dea I must admit. I'd rather see him nail down a wing spot rather than FB where he'll potentially be moved around or find himself as a utility back.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Also there is a guy called Sean Scanlon who plays FB who is is supposed to be pretty good, according to MF forum.

theKramer wrote: »
    Also there is a guy called Sean Scanlon who plays FB who is is supposed to be pretty good, according to MF forum.

Scanlon always strikes me as too short to be a fullback, would rather see him on the wing, don't know if he has the pace for it though.

I'm a bit of a fan of O'Dea I must admit. I'd rather see him nail down a wing spot rather than FB where he'll potentially be moved around or find himself as a utility back.

Hard to see how he'll get games a winger tbh, although he did look class there in the B&I semi-final. Was it Conway he stood up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Hard to see how he'll get games a winger tbh, although he did look class there in the B&I semi-final. Was it Conway he stood up?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think Earls could be a great full-back tbh, it was there that he first made his mark for Munster. In an attacking sense, he could really bring a lot at full-back.

But LOD is said to be a natural full-back and he's always impressed me. I'd love to see him nail down a starting spot.

As for Jones, I thought he was superb when he first broke on the scene but definitely wasn't the same after his injury. He should never have started the HC quarter-final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Scanlon always strikes me as too short to be a fullback, would rather see him on the wing, don't know if he has the pace for it though.

i've seen him play for cork con, he's quiet small, nuggety build. decent but I'd rate O'Dea a fair bit ahead of him.

wouldnt be surprised to see the likes of LOD, Hircock, Nagle, Kilcoyne, Condon & Butler get some good exposure at the start of this coming season as Penny trys to freshen up the squad.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think Earls could be a great full-back tbh, it was there that he first made his mark for Munster. In an attacking sense, he could really bring a lot at full-back.

But LOD is said to be a natural full-back and he's always impressed me. I'd love to see him nail down a starting spot.

As for Jones, I thought he was superb when he first broke on the scene but definitely wasn't the same after his injury. He should never have started the HC quarter-final.

Harsh as it sounds, but I think we would have been in a HC final if he wasn't at 15 for the Gilroy try

It will be interesting to see how Penney goes about picking a team, who knows, he may not care for egos in the slightest. Imagine JJ thrown into a HC pool game at 10

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Penney goes about picking a team, who knows, he may not care for egos in the slightest. Imagine JJ thrown into a HC pool game at 10

I really could only see that happening at the last pool game if the group and home QF was already secured. Even then he could he may just be a second half sub.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I really could only see that happening at the last pool game if the group and home QF was already secured. Even then he could he may just be a second half sub.
    To be honest, I would like to see ROG subbing for Keatley at the start of the season. I dont envy Penney the job of phasing out ROG...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

theKramer wrote: »
    To be honest, I would like to see ROG subbing for Keatley at the start of the season. I dont envy Penney the job of phasing out ROG...
    Hopefully Keatley will get a run of games in September and October when ROG is out of action due to having been on the summer tour and perform well enough that Penney just can't take the shirt off him

It's speculative in a way, but I really don't think there's much between JJ and Keatley right now

It's speculative in a way, but I really don't think there's much between JJ and Keatley right now
    True, I suppose. If Ulster can do it with Paddy Jackson, why not us with JJ. I still would like Keatley to get a shot tho. We were playing well against the Ospreys in the ML semi until he went off. He was so much more of a threat than when ROG came on. That and Murphy coming off didnt help our attack that day...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think JJ still has a bit to go before he is as solid as Keatley at 10. JJ mixed the good and the bad in the JRWC and did stuff that would cause an awful lot of problems at Senior level. He kicked the ball out on the full a good few times whereas at Senior level if you do that more than once a game it's a big no no.

But then what is his actual position? He seemed to be playing mainly in the centre for Munster in the B&I Cup and Ireland in the 6 Nations and appears to have only being playing outhalf as Jackson wasn't available. With Jackson at Ulster he was nearly forced in as Ian Humphries form just fell apart altogether, away to Cardiff and the QF in Munster he was very bad.

Honestly though I don't like talking about him too much as he is still a kid (can he play U20's next year?) and there is too much hype on him already. Then when you look at the other options available to Munster he is a fair bit down the pecking order. ROG and Keatley are ahead of him at 10 and Downey and Barnes would be ahead of him at 12. Lualala could be an option at 12 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Harsh as it sounds, but I think we would have been in a HC final if he wasn't at 15 for the Gilroy try

While you can't say that for sure, I'd be thinking along the same lines. That and he knocked the ball on going to contact about 3 or 4 times iirc.

Hurley should have played there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement