Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Hagz wrote: »
    I would say
    6. Stander
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Coughlan

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks12 wrote: »

As for Ian Nagle it's not **** or get off the pot time, this year will decide if he's destined to fill his potential or not IMO

+1 on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

would like to see Butler step up and start pushing Coughlan next year too. I know he's only gone 22 but he'd need to try and make a real push now

As for Ian Nagle it's not **** or get off the pot time, this year will decide if he's destined to fill his potential or not IMO

Being realistic we're going to get injuries in the backrow, every team does, every season. I think it's too early to say who'll be first choice. In some ways losing Ronan really ruined our season last year and few people would have predicted he'd be a key player this time last season.

Wrt to Nagle, much like Ryan at the same age he's going from injury to injury. I don't know if it's down to bulking up or whatever, but i can't see him being a starter by the end of the season. He needs a good run of injury free games ahead of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

They've both been good for A games and development games. Hircock can feel hard done by to not been looked at last season, imo. Hopefully the new coaches will give him a chance.

i've said it a few times on here, last season i saw hircock, Dineen, Deasy, Barnes playing AIL. Hircock was really impressive, i'd expect him to overtake some of the other lads this coming season.

given the age profile of munster's front 5, a lively back row of Stadler, POM & Butler would add some speed to the pack. Big season for the likes of Nagle, Archer, Holland etc.

Would expect to see Kilcoyne & Condon get some game time.

bamboozle wrote: »
    i've said it a few times on here, last season i saw hircock, Dineen, Deasy, Barnes playing AIL. Hircock was really impressive, i'd expect him to overtake some of the other lads this coming season.

It was strange alright. I'm desperately blocking last season out but didn't we play J. Murphy at 13 at some stage or other? Hircock should have gotten a run. Tbf, the others got gametime alright.

I really can't wait to see what a new coach can get from our backs. I know Mannix is meant to be defense-orientated, and that's fair enough, but we've genuine pace in our backs too, we need to find a way to use guys like O'Dea and Zebo, who seem to be as fast as any players in Ulster or Leinster, for example.

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    Do they need an Irish prop? They have John Ryan, Kilcoyne, Cotter and Condon as well as Archer. They're all unproven and some could turn out to be good scrummagers.

I'd take Hagan if we could get him since he seems to be out of favour but personally I hope Cotter and Kilcoyne come through. Just don't know about Archer, we're relying on him to be second-choice when in reality he should be off learning his trade in the AIL, not sitting on a bench or getting half-killed every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hagz wrote: »
    I would say
    6. Stander
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Coughlan

I'd probably say the same unless Stander proves to be particularly effective at 7, so he and POM would swap over.

You've got DOC2, Ronan, Butler and an unknown quantity in Dougall behind them, but we definitely needed someone like Stander who can step up almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

ormond lad wrote: »
    Bristol aug 17th in musgrave and London Irish aug 24th in musgrave
    3rd pre season friendly is in france against stade rochelais
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10596.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

What's the story with admission to a pre season game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No pre-season games in Thomond is a bit strange I would have thought.

I haven't seen anything from the supporters club about pre-season tickets yet, but below is from last years mailer
    PRICES (public sale);

Cat A Stand - €25
    Cat B Stand - €20
    Adult Terrace - €15
    Child Terrace - €5
    Family Pack Terrace - €30 (2 Adult & 2 Child)
    Adult & Child Cat B Stand - €25

MEMBER DISCOUNT (July);

- Combined (dual venue) season ticket holders - will be entitled to one free ticket to either match and 20% discount on any additional tickets purchased.

- Single venue season ticket holders (Musgrave or Thomond) - will be entitled to 20% discount on any tickets purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Clareman wrote: »
    No pre-season games in Thomond is a bit strange I would have thought.

I haven't seen anything from the supporters club about pre-season tickets yet, but below is from last years mailer
    Nearly all the pre season games have been in cork the past few seasons. There's only been 1 the past 5 seasons in Limerick
    Could be wrong but having both pre season games in cork means theres more league games in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

What's the story with admission to a pre season game?

The field in TP was reseeded so they may be giving it as much time as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's pretty bloody expensive for a pre-season match.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I know people have given out about the poor attendance at Musgrave but the games played there aren't great.

11/12: Wasps (Friendly), Dragons, Lanelli, Aironi, and Glasgow
    10/11: Leicester (Friendly), Gloucester (Friendly), Aironi, Lanelli, Glasgow, and Dragons
    09/10: Sale (Friendly), London Irish (Friendly), Dragons, Edinburgh, Lanelli,

For the Magners/Rabo games the Munster teams would have been largely second string outfits.

It kind of puts the whole one training base argument in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That's pretty bloody expensive for a pre-season match.

would be fine if they did an early bird offer a la leinster or give 50% off one game if you go to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

would be fine if they did an early bird offer a la leinster or give 50% off one game if you go to both.

Iirc, MRCS members get one preseason game free, that's a full MP stadium if all decide to go to the same game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty sure all pre-season games are included in the ST (though there is only one at home this year). Plus the early bird on top - I don't understand the logic of charging so much for a pre-season game. Surely its the time to entice people in with dirt cheap tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I know people have given out about the poor attendance at Musgrave but the games played there aren't great.

11/12: Wasps (Friendly), Dragons, Lanelli, Aironi, and Glasgow
    10/11: Leicester (Friendly), Gloucester (Friendly), Aironi, Lanelli, Glasgow, and Dragons
    09/10: Sale (Friendly), London Irish (Friendly), Dragons, Edinburgh, Lanelli,

For the Magners/Rabo games the Munster teams would have been largely second string outfits.

It kind of puts the whole one training base argument in perspective.

Thomond had Edinburgh and Treviso last season and got attendances of 18,200 and 16,816 respectively (from RDP12 site) last season. The game against Glasgow in Musgrave was an important end of season game against another team fighting for a play off place and only 7,924 turned up.
    When Treviso in Limerick can get a bigger crowd that the capacity of Musgrave and they can't fill Musgrave for an important end of season game, then Cork isn't going to get good teams any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

bamboozle wrote: »

It was strange alright. I'm desperately blocking last season out but didn't we play J. Murphy at 13 at some stage or other? Hircock should have gotten a run. Tbf, the others got gametime alright.

I really can't wait to see what a new coach can get from our backs. I know Mannix is meant to be defense-orientated, and that's fair enough, but we've genuine pace in our backs too, we need to find a way to use guys like O'Dea and Zebo, who seem to be as fast as any players in Ulster or Leinster, for example.
    Interesting to see Brian Smith's comments today, basically slammed him for his treatment of TOL & that dropping him from the WC squad affected his game. I wonder if Smith saw how TOL was playing approaching that point of the season, he may not be to quick to knock Deccie if he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Question for all ye Munster heads.

What would you think if Penney decided to utilize Earls at FB? How would that sit with you? Leaving aside the Irish setup and Kearney, how would you feel about it? Do you think it'd work? If Lualala comes through at 13 and Downey at 12, what would you think of a big game outside backline of: 11. Zebo (O'Dea?), 12. Downey, 13. Lualala, 14. Douggie, 15. Earls?

Just watching the 2011 England game and whilst I remember Earls being thoroughly impressive on the day, looking back it was a MoTM performance.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

What would you think if Penney decided to utilize Earls at FB? How would that sit with you? Leaving aside the Irish setup and Kearney, how would you feel about it? Do you think it'd work? If Lualala comes through at 13 and Downey at 12, what would you think of a big game outside backline of: 11. Zebo (O'Dea?), 12. Downey, 13. Lualala, 14. Douggie, 15. Earls?

Just watching the 2011 England game and whilst I remember Earls being thoroughly impressive on the day, looking back it was a MoTM performance.

What do you think?

Waying up the pros and cons of it

Pros:

Zebo and Dougie would both be able to start
    Earls is just as good, if not better, at 15 than 11

Cons:

Would mean Jones would probably struggle to get back to the form that saw him nearly get on the plane for the WC

So apart from Jones not being able to play, I'd have no problem

What do you think?

Pros:

Cons:

Would mean Jones would probably struggle to get back to the form that saw him nearly get on the plane for the WC

Jones is a much better option at FB though, if, and I stress if, he stays fit he will make the position his own. But it will be interesting to see how Penney lines the team up, can't see him looking at Downey & being filled with joy.

Pros:

Cons:

Fair point. How have you felt about Jones this season though? Personally I'd like to see him take command at 15 for most of the Pro12 games, with perhaps a few cameos in Hcup to ease him back into form.

I could be off the mark regarding his form though.

Lelantos wrote: »
    can't see him looking at Downey & being filled with joy.

What are the other options at 12?

Lelantos wrote: »
    can't see him looking at Downey & being filled with joy.

What are the other options at 12?
    Barnes, Earls, maybe Penney is looking at converting someone, not sure but I have never liked Downey as a player, wish him the best & hope to Christ he proves me wrong though

Fair point. How have you felt about Jones this season though? Personally I'd like to see him take command at 15 for most of the Pro12 games, with perhaps a few cameos in Hcup to ease him back into form.

I was really disappointed with Jones this year, thought he was a little overrated last year too!

I was really disappointed with Jones this year, thought he was a little overrated last year too!
    I think we have to temper our judgements a little bearing in mind the terrible injuries he's had. It seems to be a case of, if it wasn't for bad luck he would have no luck at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thomond had Edinburgh and Treviso last season and got attendances of 18,200 and 16,816 respectively (from RDP12 site) last season. The game against Glasgow in Musgrave was an important end of season game against another team fighting for a play off place and only 7,924 turned up.
    When Treviso in Limerick can get a bigger crowd that the capacity of Musgrave and they can't fill Musgrave for an important end of season game, then Cork isn't going to get good teams any time soon.

I was always led to believe that Thomond Park attendances will also include season & 10 year tickets, so even if people don't go to the games the ticket sales count, Musgrave wouldn't have nearly as many season ticket holders as TP.

I was always led to believe that Thomond Park attendances will also include season & 10 year tickets, so even if people don't go to the games the ticket sales count, Musgrave wouldn't have nearly as many season ticket holders as TP.

Does the ST not cover games at Musgrave?

• Advertisement

Does the ST not cover games at Musgrave?
    Nope, you chose which package you want, TP or M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement