Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ormond lad wrote: »
    Dont know much about the sides but below are the 5-6 id look out for. Dillane prob is with connacht but you never know
    20s:
    Ultan Dillane(Tralee) - 2nd Row
    David O’ Connell(Old christians) - 2nd Row
    Jamie Kind(Sundays Well) - Openside
    Seamus Glynn(PBC) - Wing
    anyone of the 3 Outhalfs: Tom Keirsey from Waterpark, Darren Sweetnam from Bandon, Rory Scannell PBC

19s:
    adrian enright(abbeyfeale) - full back,
    Shane airey(munchins) - outhalf,
    Dan Goggin (munchins) - centre
    Greg Barry (Crescent) - centre
    Cormac O’ Donnell (munchins) - full back
    JJ McDonnell (Castletroy College) - centre

youths:
    Eoghan Greene (Sundays Well) - prop
    Dylan Horgan (Highfield) - outhalf/centre

Will keep an eye out for them. Isn't the 100m sprinter on one of these teams too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Will keep an eye out for them. Isn't the 100m sprinter on one of these teams too?
    greg o shea is still underage for u18 schools which hasnt been announced yet

greg o shea is still underage for u18 schools which hasnt been announced yet

Never realised he was so young, will be interesting to see if he's just a really fast guy or a player who happens to be really fast.

Howlett Ahead of Schedule
    3 July 2012, 3:01 pmBy The Editor
    Doug Howlett, who missed most of last season through injury is reported to be ahead of schedule in his rehab and is expected to feature in Munster's pre-season match programme.
    Good news too for Dave Foley (shoulder), Damien Varley (ankle), Duncan Williams (hip) and Johne Murphy (ankle) is that all three are expected to take some part in those August games while Niall Ronan (knee) is looking at a return to action towards the end of August or early September.
    Paul O'Connell is also reported to be making steady progress with a view to a return to training at the end of the month while Ian Nagle (shoulder), Felix Jones (shoulder) and Troy Smith (knee) are expected to make a return to action towards the end of the autumn.

The squad are into week two of their pre-season under the guidance of Head of Fitness Bryce Cavanagh and coaches Anthony Foley, Ian Costello, Paul McCarthy, Bryce Cavanagh and team manager Niall O'Donovan who officially assumed his new role yesterday.

New head coach Rob Penney is expected in Munster on Saturday week and he will meet up with his new squad on July 16th, and then the internationals report back for duty the following week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Has there been any announcement on pre-season games this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Clareman wrote: »
    Has there been any announcement on pre-season games this year?
    Bristol aug 17th in musgrave and London Irish aug 24th in musgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bristol aug 17th in musgrave and London Irish aug 24th in musgrave

TOL to make an appearance perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

Doug Howlett, Dave Foley (shoulder), Damien Varley (ankle), Duncan Williams (hip) and Johne Murphy (ankle) Niall Ronan (knee) Paul O'Connell, Ian Nagle (shoulder), Felix Jones (shoulder) and Troy Smith (knee)

During the off time and pre-season the injury woes had kind of slipped my mind but that's 10 players that are currently out through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

phog wrote: »
    During the off time and pre-season the injury woes had kind of slipped my mind but that's 10 players that are currently out through injury.

Has Troy Smith ever not been injured?? It seems any time there's an injury list he's on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Has Troy Smith ever not been injured?? It seems any time there's an injury list he's on it...

He was out injured last season.

• Advertisement

Was due back last Feb but our stellar medics managed to leave him needing a second surgery....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

So is he actually any good? I've never seen him play at any level I don't think.....

And even if he was good, he's been injured for a long time, could affect his performance.

Hopefully Hircock gets a chance at some stage this season though.

So is he actually any good? I've never seen him play at any level I don't think.....

And even if he was good, he's been injured for a long time, could affect his performance.

Hopefully Hircock gets a chance at some stage this season though.

They've both been good for A games and development games. Hircock can feel hard done by to not been looked at last season, imo. Hopefully the new coaches will give him a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

From watching clips of CJ Stander he looks like an 8; with Coughlan and POM whats the point of Stander?

Don't Munster need props?

What about Paddy Butler? Wasnt he starting to game time at the end of last season;

Why bother getting another 8 when Munster needs an Irish prop??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Never realised he was so young, will be interesting to see if he's just a really fast guy or a player who happens to be really fast.

I would say it's the latter. Saw him score him score a lovely try for irish schools against Scotland in March where he collected a pass, chipped ahead, collected and burned the cover before touching down. Needs to bulk up but looks a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

leftleg wrote: »
    From watching clips of CJ Stander he looks like an 8; with Coughlan and POM whats the point of Stander?

Don't Munster need props?

What about Paddy Butler? Wasnt he starting to game time at the end of last season;

Why bother getting another 8 when Munster needs an Irish prop??

Do they need an Irish prop? They have John Ryan, Kilcoyne, Cotter and Condon as well as Archer. They're all unproven and some could turn out to be good scrummagers.

Do they need backrowers though? out and out 7 maybe but an 8; not really? correct me if i'm wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Do they need backrowers though? out and out 7 maybe but an 8; not really? correct me if i'm wrong though

Munster have a squad of 47. They don't really need any players at least before some of the fringe players have been tested. Thats my opinion.

It looks like Holland, Paddy Butler, Barnes, Dineen, Deasy and a few others in the squad might not get many games next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster just lost leamy and Wallace. They definitely needed Stander.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I would say it's the latter. Saw him score him score a lovely try for irish schools against Scotland in March where he collected a pass, chipped ahead, collected and burned the cover before touching down. Needs to bulk up but looks a player.

Good to hear, sometimes fast players fall by the wayside because their skills are too poor to compete at the top level, let's hope he can step up because his speed is rare enough in Irish rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Haven't we signed Dougal for that. Also, Stander seems to be able to play any backrow position. With Leamy and Wallace gone, we did need more there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What makes you think he's an 8 though. He hasn't played a game for the Bulls at 8. It's either been at 6 or 7.

Hagz wrote: »
    What makes you think he's an 8 though. He hasn't played a game for the Bulls at 8. It's either been at 6 or 7.

Before this year hes played his entire rugby career, the odd game apart at 8 and has played his best games at 8 as well; This season he started playing at 6/7 to accomodate Spies.

According to Murray Kinsella the guys an out and out 8.

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/who-is-cj-stander/

"Stander’s CV and the glimpses I’ve seen in this year’s Super Rugby lead me to believe that he will have an important impact for Munster, most probably at No.8."

Before this year hes played his entire rugby career, the odd game apart at 8 and has played his best games at 8 as well; This season he started playing at 6/7 to accomodate Spies.

According to Murray Kinsella the guys an out and out 8.

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/who-is-cj-stander/

"Stander’s CV and the glimpses I’ve seen in this year’s Super Rugby lead me to believe that he will have an important impact for Munster, most probably at No.8."

Doesn't mean he has to be played at 8. If he has been able to start a lot of games for the Bulls at flanker then there's no reason he can't to the same at Munster.

Doesn't mean he has to be played at 8. If he has been able to start a lot of games for the Bulls at flanker then there's no reason he can't to the same at Munster.

POM, Germany, Ronan, Dougal, Stander; who else is there in Munster's backrow?

POM, Germany, Ronan, Dougal, Stander; who else is there in Munster's backrow?

Germany?
    N6: O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Stander, Ryan
    N7: Ronan, O'Mahony, Stander, Dougal, O'Mahony, O'Donnell
    N8: Coughlan, O'Mahony, Stander, Butler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Germany?
    N6: O'Callaghan, O'Mahony, Stander, Ryan
    N7: Ronan, O'Mahony, Stander, Dougal, O'Mahony, O'Donnell
    N8: Coughlan, O'Mahony, Stander, Butler

I'd say that's a case of damnyouautocorrect.com...

So who would Munster's first choice back-row be if Stander hadn't been signed? POM, Ronan, Coughlan? Sorry, but that is not remotely good enough to get Munster back to the top, so hopefully the younger guys can come through and Stander turns out to be a good signing.

(I know nothing about Dougal, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'd say that's a case of damnyouautocorrect.com...

So who would Munster's first choice back-row be if Stander hadn't been signed? POM, Ronan, Coughlan? Sorry, but that is not remotely good enough to get Munster back to the top, so hopefully the younger guys can come through and Stander turns out to be a good signing.

(I know nothing about Dougal, btw)

We have no idea yet what our best backrow is yet. That is what pre-season can be used for. Anyway, if I remember correctly, we won't be getting Stander until October so we may end up with the backrow you suggested above at first, which did not do too badly at the start of last year.

I would say
    6. Stander
    7. O'Mahony
    8. Coughlan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

would like to see Butler step up and start pushing Coughlan next year too. I know he's only gone 22 but he'd need to try and make a real push now

As for Ian Nagle it's not **** or get off the pot time, this year will decide if he's destined to fill his potential or not IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement