Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ssaye wrote: »
    The last time we played in Adams Park V Wasps
    March 07

Tough day, superb Wasps team in fairness

Here are the teams
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/match_centre_leinster.php?section=lineups&fixid=26612#.UV1HAzdvCFh

Darcy/Heaslip and a sub that day Kearney remain

How times have changed

Eoin Reddan was phenomenal that day, he tore us to shreds.

What do we reckon? Beatable on paper at least I think? Some big units in the forwards, note that Launchbury plays at six.

Just keep the ball away from that Wade lad and we'll be OK!

15 Elliot Daly
    14 Christian Wade
    13 Andrea Masi
    12 Chris Bell
    11 Tom Varndell
    10 Nick Robinson
    9 Joe Simpson
    1 Zak Taulafo
    2 T Rhys Thomas
    3 Phil Swainston
    4 Tom Palmer
    5 Marco Wentzel (captain)
    6 Joe Launchbury
    7 Sam Jones
    8 Ashley Johnson
    Replacements
    16 Tom Lindsay
    17 Tim Payne
    18 Will Taylor
    19 Jonathan Poff
    20 Billy Vunipola
    21 Charlie Davies
    22 Stephen Jones
    23 Hugo Southwell

McFadden straight in at 13, the right call I think, just don't think a Goodman/D'Arcy partnership has enough dynamism.

Strauss displaces Cronin and Cullen in for Roux were the other tight calls. Overall, I'm happy enough.

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Dave Kearney
    13: Fergus McFadden
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Isa Nacewa
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Isaac Boss
    1: Cian Healy
    2: Richardt Strauss
    3: Mike Ross
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Sean O'Brien
    8: Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Sean Cronin
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Jamie Hagan
    19: Quinn Roux
    20: Shane Jennings
    21: John Cooney
    22: Andrew Goodman
    23: Andrew Conway

Bit ironic that Hagan seems to have established himself firmly ahead of Bent just as he's about to leave. Also, we may not see van der Merwe in the Leinster jersey again...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ferg at 13? Hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I don't like the Ferg, Darce partnership in the center, but without EOM it was probably the correct call.

And is Dippy not in the Amlin squad, I'd prefer him to Locky.

• Advertisement

The D'Arcy Ferg combo is perfect for this game.

We're going to try whallop them up front.

Crash ball Kevin MAGGGGGGGGGGGGS style from the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't think the Ferg call is the right one, as it's his weakest position. But it really depends how much possession he have, gotta play with that first. SOB and Heaslip will be instrumental to the game, and hopefully we dominate the ground game first. Picking Launchbury at 6 is interesting, and tells us they're probably targeting our shakey lineout. I hope we try and keep it in play as much as possible.

Anyone doing a matchday thread btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Interesting Wasps team, Vunipola on the bench and Launchbury at 6 are strange calls surely?

Anyone know anything about their 7? Not familiar with him.

From our P.O.V., that'd be the team I'd have gone for. Very similar gameplan I suspect to what we played away from home in HEC last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Interesting Wasps team, Vunipola on the bench and Launchbury at 6 are strange calls surely?
    From what I have seen of Billy recently, he hasn't been up to much other that conceding stupid penalties for late hits and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Winnable game with the right attitude.

decisions wrote: »
    From what I have seen of Billy recently, he hasn't been up to much other that conceding stupid penalties for late hits and the like.

Eh, and his dancing is loike, totes amazeballs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone doing a matchday thread btw?

Am writing a preview now, will post a matchday thread when its finished if there is none before then

Probably a case of getting their best players onto the pitch; Palmer is still a very good lock and Wentzel is their captain, so moving Launchbury back just gives them more power (they've lost a bit of bulk with Haskell's injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Andrea Masi at 13 for wasps; looks like there going to try crash it up the middle as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Missing a lot of players and although I was starting to think we were looking weak, in the likes of D'Arcy/Kearney/SOB/Healy/Nacewa/Heaslip you have Lions, future Lions, established internationals and the 2 most recent European players of the year. Wasps look a good side but if this was a H Cup group stage match I would expect a win.

Not a fan of McFadden at 13 at all, but even less of a fan of Goodman/D'Arcy centre combo, so right call I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Bit ironic that Hagan seems to have established himself firmly ahead of Bent just as he's about to leave.

Bit sad really, Ross doesn't have long left and Bent is very meh in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nope. Billy has already checked out having signed for Sarries. Launchbury isn't fully fit so they wanted more power in the row.

To be honest I am worried about their scrum. Very underrated imo, not hugely confident in ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Away in England to Bath Dec 2011, European game

Similar team,
    Same centre combo
    Predict Similar score

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/561.php#.UV1pQDdvCFg

leftleg wrote: »
    Andrea Masi at 13 for wasps; looks like there going to try crash it up the middle as well

I think they prefer him there and Daly at 15 because Daly has been really impressive at 15 recently. Daly is a seriously dangerous player. Much better than Wade imo.

Big surprise for me is Jones on the bench, but they lack creativity in midfield when he starts with those centers. So probably a good call.

I am worried about this game. They are a good team but importantly they're really well coached. I really rate Dai Young.

• Advertisement

ssaye wrote: »
    Away in England to Bath Dec 2011, European game

Similar team,
    Same centre combo
    Predict Similar score

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/561.php#.UV1pQDdvCFg

Fitzy was very good for us that day, though, could be one player we really miss. Also we really should've trumped Bath, but we butchered so many tries, especially that SOB one! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Would be a pretty disappointing result if we lost.

I also remember the centre partnership was muck until EOM came on and Ferg moved to 12 and then we started ripping through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I know the guide says Yates but anyone in Wycombe should absolutely go to the Bootlegger for one or two. It's a good real rugby pub and it'll be full of top quality fans. It's across the way from Wycombe station as well so really easy to get to. The Sausage Tree is another one not too far away which prides itself on being a rugby pub.

Plenty of good rugby pubs in the town though, full of ex-props who will tell you amazing stories about the solitary try each scored in their career. And a great selection of beer as well, the Rebellion brewery being the local boys.

EDIT: Bootlegger - http://thebootleggerpub.co.uk/
    Sausage Tree - http://www.sausagetreepub.co.uk/

And behave yourselves, some of us have reputations to maintain!

I'll be hitting the Bootlegger for about 4 to kick start the auld stag so no promises there. Reckon I might be back in London before getting too messy though. :pac:

Nervous about this one. Missing Reddan, Sexton, Drico & Fitz out of the back line is going to hurt us. Ferg has looked great on the wing this season and did well at 12 at the start of the season too. He's just not a OC though. He'll do a job there but that's it. I'd back Isa to have Wade covered tbh, but D Kearney might have a hard time with Varndell. I'm quite happy with the pack and their replacements though. Can't really call it atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

.ak wrote: »
    Fitzy was very good for us that day, though, could be one player we really miss. Also we really should've trumped Bath, but we butchered so many tries, especially that SOB one! :mad:

That was a disaster, thankfully he went on the rampage further games.

Its a bit like footballers, give them loads of time and a 2/3 on 1 and some just panic and butcher it.

Paddy Power are calling this for Leinster anyway, 8/15 for the win and -4 points for the handicap.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'll be hitting the Bootlegger for about 4 to kick start the auld stag so no promises there. Reckon I might be back in London before getting too messy though. :pac:

Nervous about this one. Missing Reddan, Sexton, Drico & Fitz out of the back line is going to hurt us. Ferg has looked great on the wing this season and did well at 12 at the start of the season too. He's just not a OC though. He'll do a job there but that's it. I'd back Isa to have Wade covered tbh, but D Kearney might have a hard time with Varndell. I'm quite happy with the pack and their replacements though. Can't really call it atm.

I wish I could join you there but unfortunately I'll be out of town! Absolutely typical :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is EOM injured? Also, I've had a fit of amnesia, can someone remind me what's wrong with Drico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Also, I've had a fit of amnesia, can someone remind me what's wrong with Drico?

Banned.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is EOM injured? Also, I've had a fit of amnesia, can someone remind me what's wrong with Drico?

Drico is banned for using an Italian player as a dancefloor and EOM has a re-occuring calf injury from his ACL rupture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement