Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

iamjenko wrote: »
    Is that game tomorrow? I presume its over in Bristol...?

In Bristol on Sunday

They might be waiting to name the team based on whether or not injury cover is needed for tonight?

I would take a wild guess at:

VDM, Dundon, Bent, Marshall, Denton, Ruddock, Ryan, Auva'a;
    McGrath, Marsh, Carr, Reid, O'Shea, Boyle, Coghlan-Murray

But it can be very hard to guess these teams. Really missing depth in the backs due to injuries, particularly midfield.

EDIT: Maybe Steven Crosbie at 12 allowing Reid go to full back?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

In Bristol on Sunday

They might be waiting to name the team based on whether or not injury cover is needed for tonight?

I would take a wild guess at:

VDM, Dundon, Bent, Marshall, Denton, Ruddock, Ryan, Auva'a;
    McGrath, Marsh, Carr, Reid, O'Shea, Boyle, Coghlan-Murray

But it can be very hard to guess these teams. Really missing depth in the backs due to injuries, particularly midfield.

EDIT: Maybe Steven Crosbie at 12 allowing Reid go to full back?

Decent pack and light as it may be there is still plenty of talent in that back line if they were to opt for it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

lurtz wrote: »
    you dont rate him because he's injury prone?

and what was this kidney thing?

on a pure potential basis I think Moore is slightly ahead of him.

If he was as injury prone as I thought he was (he has had one major shoulder injury I thought he had two) he wouldn't get the gametime over the next few years to develop as he should and he won't reach the highs that he should.

That said he isn't as injury prone as I thought so we will have to discover how he develops over the next few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

on a pure potential basis I think Moore is slightly ahead of him.

If he was as injury prone as I thought he was (he has had one major shoulder injury I thought he had two) he wouldn't get the gametime over the next few years to develop as he should and he won't reach the highs that he should.

That said he isn't as injury prone as I thought so we will have to discover how he develops over the next few years.

Moore is about 18 months older than him aswell though.

Moore is about 18 months older than him aswell though.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I'd have Moore about two years ago ahead of Furlong now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Any word on Mark Flanagan? Would be a shame to lose him but as we've seen with the likes of Nagle, whose career has stagnated/regressed, leaving for a couple of seasons for game time could be hugely beneficial, especially in front-five-oriented leagues.

He might be better off moving and getting gametime, with the view of returning next season after Leo retires.

LEINSTER 'A':
    15: Fionn Carr
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Colm O'Shea
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Luke McGrath
    1: James Tracy
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Michael Bent
    4: Tom Denton
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ben Marshall
    7: Dominic Ryan CAPTAIN
    8: Leo Auva'a
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Thomas Sexton
    17: Martin Moore
    18: Tadhg Beirne
    19: David Doyle
    20: Paddy O'Driscoll
    21: Steve Crosbie
    22: Ben Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Who are Paddy O'Driscoll and Ben Woods?

Tracy at loosehead is very interesting.

He's at a big crossroads in his career now. It goes many directions as well between sticking in Ireland, going to England playing LH or Hooker etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

LEINSTER 'A':
    15: Fionn Carr
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Colm O'Shea
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Sam Coghlan-Murray
    10: Cathal Marsh
    9: Luke McGrath
    1: James Tracy
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Michael Bent
    4: Tom Denton
    5: Mark Flanagan
    6: Ben Marshall
    7: Dominic Ryan CAPTAIN
    8: Leo Auva'a
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Thomas Sexton
    17: Martin Moore
    18: Tadhg Beirne
    19: David Doyle
    20: Paddy O'Driscoll
    21: Steve Crosbie
    22: Ben Woods

Well, interesting to see Steve Crosbie in there, confirmation of an academy place?
    Also, isn't David Doyle a hooker?
    Also, Paddy O Driscoll and Ben Woods anyone?

Who are Paddy O'Driscoll and Ben Woods?

Paddy O'Driscoll is a scrum half who plays for Lansdowne.

Carr at 15 is definitely a surprise, probably looking at SCM and Boyle on the wing for next year, as is Ryan as captain, tracey at LH is surprising, I didn't expect to see VDM but rather JOC

Good to see Marsh at 10 ahead of Reid. Is Couglan injured?
    Originally a backrow. Slightly surprised to see him back there with the other options in the squad.

Well, interesting to see Steve Crosbie in there, confirmation of an academy place?
    Also, Paddy O Driscoll and Ben Woods anyone?

David Doyle has played hooker and back row for ages.

Crosbie should be in the academy. But plenty have played A rugby and not gotten into the academy (Barry Daly was one).

Ben Woods is a 22 year old Old Belvedere centre. Played a fair bit of underage representative rugby for Leinster.

David Doyle is a hooker, no Gilsenan/Leavy/JVDF?

I know Conan is finished for the season after shoulder surgery.
    Coghlan is injured aswell, just out of a boot.

Still no Hudson either.

Ben Woods from Old Belvedere?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Crosbie is into the academy for next year. Doyle played backrow all the way up in Gonzaga and only moved to hooker in his first year of college,played 7 last week for UCD. Paddy O'Driscoll was in kilkenny and started for lansdowne last week when they wrapped up the AIL

582850.jpg

Woods in action for OB.

David Doyle is a hooker, no Gilsenan/Leavy/JVDF?

I know Conan is finished for the season after shoulder surgery.
    Coghlan is injured aswell, just out of a boot.

Still no Hudson either.

Ben Woods from Old Belvedere?

Dan Leavy is still out with a hamstring problem,would have been playing.

Think Woods was in belvo,potentially on the 08 cup team. Judging from his highlights on youtube he's quite a defensive oriented player with good acceleration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Bristol Rugby team to face Leinster ‘A’ at the Memorial Stadium on Sunday, 7 April (3pm KO):

Jon Goodridge; George Watkins, Fautua Otto, Ben Mosses, Andy Short; Adrian Jarvis, Callum Braley; Mark Lilley, Rhys Lawrence, Gaston Cortes; Mariano Sambucetti, Roy Winters; Iain Grieve (c), James Merriman, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Ross Johnston, Bruce Douglas, Glen Townson, Alafoti Faosiliva, James Grindal, Tristan Roberts, Jack Tovey.

Callum Braley is set for his first competitive start when Bristol Rugby face Leinster ‘A’ in the quarter-finals of the B&I Cup on Sunday (3pm KO).

The England U20 scrum half – who came on against Plymouth Albion as a second half replacement – forms a new-look half back partnership with Adrian Jarvis.

Andy Short makes his first start for the Club on the wing, while Fautua Otto returns to the midfield alongside Ben Mosses.

In the front row, Rhys Lawrence - who has three tries in the competition so far – retains his place alongside Mark Lilley and Gaston Cortes.

Director of Rugby Andy Robinson opts for a four forwards and three backs split on the replacements bench, with the Club’s leading points scorer in the Cup - Tristan Roberts – included in the 22-man squad.

http://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/8653/b-i-cup-team-news-bristol-rugby-vs-leinster-a/

• Advertisement

lurtz wrote: »
    Dan Leavy is still out with a hamstring problem,would have been playing.

Think Woods was in belvo,potentially on the 08 cup team. Judging from his highlights on youtube he's quite a defensive oriented player with good acceleration

Yep, he played wing on that side, with Michael Keating at FB and Collie O'Shea at 12. Moved to 15 in '09 as O'Shea and Niall Myron occupied the centres and it was the best use of resources. Side lost to Rock in the semi-final who had Denis Buckley, Jordi Murphy, Brendan Macken and Andrew Conway in their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pity Hudson is out, wonder if his shoulder is still at him?

Alafoti Faosiliva is a complete tank of a man

don't expect much from that A team tbh.

Not really excited about the potential of any back on that team apart from McGrath.

Boyle and SCM are great prospects in fairness. Although Hudson at 15 would've added a sense of security tbh.

.ak wrote: »
    Boyle and SCM are great prospects in fairness. Although Hudson at 15 would've added a sense of security tbh.

Neither have done much of anything this season though and haven't been injured.

Neither have done much of anything this season though and haven't been injured.

That's because there's been no oppertunity, Hudson filled in for the senior team with Carr and Conway. Anytime they've played for the A team they've done very well. Although I haven't seen their form outside of Leinster tho.

don't expect much from that A team tbh.

Not really excited about the potential of any back on that team apart from McGrath.

cathal marsh is a quality talent

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Quite happy to see Crosbie involved. It's good to see AIL players getting the opportunity to step up & show if they're up to the higher level.

Without being negative, I don't see the hype with Hudson. Sure, he's young and should certainly improve, but mostly I've been underwhelmed so far. As with every young player, I hope he does come good, but I just haven't seen enough yet to indicate that he'll be a top class wing in the way that some are suggesting.

• Advertisement

Don't see any of Hudson, SCM or Boyle being top class wings. Hudson might be another Dave Kearney.

Adam Byrne maybe, but we are really searching for real talent in the backs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement