Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Sexton has a bit of a hoodoo down there and he would be a good 10/12 cover on the bench.

He does?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Buer wrote: »
    He does?!

Nope. Few enough out-halves have a better record there I'd say.

Edit: seems he's started there three times and won twice. The defeat was in 2011 when Leinster blew Munster away in the first half then put their feet up in the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/20638.php

"Leinster's ball retention at rucks and mauls was the best of any club in the Heineken Cup pool stage. They won 97% of rucks when in possession and also averaged 89 won per game, more than any other side."

+

Ulster match stats

http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2012-13/rugby/match/167097.html

Twice now Roux has missed 3+ tackles
    Match stats tab is quite telling attacking wise

Fair reflection and outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Nope. Few enough out-halves have a better record there I'd say.

Edit: seems he's started there three times and won twice. The defeat was in 2011 when Leinster blew Munster away in the first half then put their feet up in the second.

And Andrew Small made some 'contentious' decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So, what do people think of Isa starting at 13 for Wasps? It'd mean a back three of DK, RK, and McF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

.ak wrote: »
    So, what do people think of Isa starting at 13 for Wasps? It'd mean a back three of DK, RK, and McF.

If we'd had more time to try it out, then it would be an option because Isa definitely has the skills for it but with the team so unsettled, it's not the right time.

The less disruptive option would be McFadden at 13 and Isa on the wing, I'd be shocked if we see anything else.

Personally I think we'll see Goodman/Darce, just think Dave has been off the boil and obviously has an issue with his hand/finger. Goodman/Darce partnership means we'll see our best players on the field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think a Goodman/D'Arcy partnership is very good though. It's functional at best but seriously lacking in distribution and real breaking threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/other/leinster-in-the-hunt-to-sign-aussie-star-589906.html
    At training in UCD yesterday, head coach Joe Schmidt said: “We were just trying to find out if he was available, that’s all.”

“You try to get a bit of a feel of players, who you think might fit the bill, hes a left winger and a class player.”

With the British and Irish Lions set to tour Australia this summer, Joe Schmidt could go over, while looking at any of his players who may get selected, with another eye on Mitchell, Schmidt though won’t confirm that.

“He's a player who hasn’t played too often in recent years through injury, so hes probably flying below the radar slightly,” Schmidt added.

“Unfortunately I think he scored at the weekend, so he’s probably back on the radar”

Again, refusing to confirm or deny if he wants him at the province, the Leinster coach said: “I think at the moment, were just looking at options, we have been doing that for the last couple of months, since Isa decided to go back to New Zealand.

“We will keep our eye on things and hopefully we will have a steer on things in the next few weeks.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/south-african-roux-sets-sights-on-future-in-ireland-green-29167774.html

"I have made a commitment to play for Leinster. We'll see what happens in the next two years. If playing for Ireland is an opportunity for me, I'd definitely want to take that."

"Obviously I get homesick and stuff but the loyalty the club has shown to me and the way they have treated me makes me happy to stay here. I just want to build up my experience at Leinster.
    "Leinster have treated me well, helping me a lot through my injury so there is no reason to leave at the moment.
    "I still think there is an opportunity here for me and I am just delighted to have signed for another two years."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ssaye wrote: »
    Ireland's lack of depth in the second-row could be a difficulty that translates to opportunity for the giant lock.

Lack of depth, we have POC, Ryan, McCarthy, DOC, Tuohy, Toner, and Stevenson. I wouldn't call that lack of depth at all.

Lack of depth, we have POC, Ryan, McCarthy, DOC, Tuohy, Toner, and Stevenson. I wouldn't call that lack of depth at all.

In 2 years half them may be retired and or 30+, ok age for a lock but we need younger locks coming through too. Some from the academies look promising.

This is really for the 2015 season at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Put the word quality before depth and you might be right POC, DOC, McCarthy all at tail end of international Careeres Touhy is very injury prone and hasn't taken club form to international team much like Toner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

In 2 years times when he is Ireland qualified, if that is still the list we are using to say we don't have an issue, then chances are Kidney will still be coach. for everyone else chances are most of those players will be a bit long in the tooth to say the least

In fairness, outside of DOC and POC we don't really have world beaters. Ryan and McCarthy are fine locks, and do a decent job at international level, but they're not on par with the likes of POC and DOC in their day... Although I reckon Ryan will keep getting better. Touhy, Toner, and Stevenson are all decent provincial level locks but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Ryan is a damn good lock and as good as DOC at his peak although he performs a different function in the side. I do think he's hit his peak though. He turns 30 this year so I can't really see him stepping up to the POC level of performance.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28869.php

Over on the other thread but still big news

Locks are slow burners, Ryan has at least 4 more years of high quality rugby in him. Not 30 until next december.

Locks are slow burners, Ryan has at least 4 more years of high quality rugby in him. Not 30 until next december.

But still lack of top quality depth at International level if these are our options in 2 years imo.

also regarding Drew Mitchell from LF
    Re: Rumour Mill

icon_post_target.gifby ror » April 2nd, 2013, 3:46 pm
    Drew Mitchell anyone!!!, well I was just about to deliver the scoop that we were really looking at him... But its looks like Joe beat me to it...

Anyone watch loads of S15, since his injury how has he been and is it worth getting him with said injuries. Would he still cost 1/4 mil?

• Advertisement

I like Mitchell, but he's just too injury prone. It'd be like signing Luke again. I don't mind hanging onto Luke cuz I really think he'll get a lucky break (no pun intended), and he's worth it, but I dunno with Mitchell...

Oh no doubt, which is why I think Henderson should be moved to 5 sooner rather than later.

After the next world cup, we are looking fairly bare at lock unless some guys develop.

Schmidt reckons we won't be getting a Pro12 home semi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

.ak wrote: »
    Schmidt reckons we won't be getting a Pro12 home semi anyway.

Ulster should win their remaining games, they have to play Dragons, Connacht and Cardiff.

Glasgow have to play Scarlets, Ospreys and Connacht so a trickier run-in for them.

Hopefully Connacht can do us a favour or two! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We have the trickiest run in of the top 3....big derby away trip to Munster, trip to Italy (all be it Zebre) and home against our bogey side Ospreys :/

Personally I think Glasgow have the trickier run in, just. Zebre should be a gimme. I hate saying that about any team, but if we can't 4 points off Zebre we don't deserve a home semi.

I wonder how important that LBP we got off Ulster will be, our sole LBP of the season, will it come back to haunt them....

• Administrators Posts: 53,526 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Zebre are due a win...

awec wrote: »
    Zebre are due a win...

Quiet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

awec wrote: »
    Zebre are due a win...

Not against us, they're not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I suppose it's a good way to motivate the players. Give up on the home semi and the Wasps game becomes even more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement