Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭clsmooth

errlloyd wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1128/1224327205993.html

Apparently we're after McCarthy.

This will relight some old flame wars.

Yep I'd be unhappy for Connacht if he came here. He would be a good signing, but for the future of Irish rugby, it would be better if he stayed and Connacht improved as a team. Now he's got a few caps and has played very well, maybe a few more of Connachts young guns will get a look in.

Maybe if he came, someone would go the other way like Browne?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

bad news about roux more or less out for the rest of da season.will leinster give him a new deal(is he worth taking a risk)???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    If Fitz does make a recovery where will he be though? He'll be way down the pecking order I think.

Behind who? We saw last season how good Fitzy is when in form. With Kearney at FB and Isa at 14 that leave the 11 jersey open to a bit of competition, but if Fitzy finds form it'll be his to lose IMO. On form he's just far too good to not have in the starting XV. With this in mind I'm sure Joe will give him room to find form again.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The one good piece of news about Fitz is he's been training for the last while, just not doing contact work. Hopefully he won't be too rusty coming back.
    clsmooth wrote: »
    Yep I'd be unhappy for Connacht if he came here. He would be a good signing, but for the future of Irish rugby, it would be better if he stayed and Connacht improved as a team. Now he's got a few caps and has played very well, maybe a few more of Connachts young guns will get a look in.

Maybe if he came, someone would go the other way like Browne?
    Couldn't imagine so, Browne is starting or benching regularly at this point and I wouldn't see that changing if McCarthy replaced Cullen. It doesn't look like Flanagan or Denton are going to be troubling him for his place any time soon either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ray jay wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine so, Browne is starting or benching regularly at this point and I wouldn't see that changing if McCarthy replaced Cullen. It doesn't look like Flanagan or Denton are going to be troubling him for his place any time soon either.

McCarthy Toner might be a better combination that Cullen Toner which would push Browne to the bench for all the big games imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    Behind who? We saw last season how good Fitzy is when in form. With Kearney at FB and Isa at 14 that leave the 11 jersey open to a bit of competition, but if Fitzy finds form it'll be his to lose IMO. On form he's just far too good to not have in the starting XV. With this in mind I'm sure Joe will give him room to find form again.

Sorry I should've clarified, I was talking about where Hudson would be.

.ak wrote: »
    Sorry I should've clarified, I was talking about where Hudson would be.

Ah sorry, I get you now.

I suppose if you look at our first choice back three of Isa, Fitzy (hopefully) and R Kearney there are 2 internationals there assuming Fitzy can rediscover his form. So we need 4-5 back-up players for during the international windows (bench & injury cover):

D Kearney
    Conway
    Hudson
    SCM
    Boyle

For me I can't see Carr getting a contract extension. He's done nothing to warrant it in a season and a half or so and I can't see that changing. If we were to aim for that to be our position in the back 3 next season I'd be happy enough. McFadden needs to be starting at IC too, but as I said before there's every chance he could have forced himself ahead of Darce in October had our injury situation not been as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

An in form Fitzgerald is one of the best backs in Ireland. But he's had so many bad injuries that you have to wonder if he'll ever actually reach his full potential as a player.

I thought that his future would be as BOD's successor at 13.But his neck injury may stop that from happening now. He may not be able to take all the contact in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Just seen this on twitter.
    Ken Sutton ‏@kensutz Still shocked at the news that @leinsterreferee Paul Cusack has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

I didn't know the ref but my sympathies to his family and colleagues.

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

Scioch wrote: »
    Who's Adam Byrne ?

Played rugby for naas rfc. Came up through the youths system and played irish 18s youths and leinster 18s youths and 19s.Currently in the irish 20s squad and a member of the leinster sub academy. playing for ucd rfc and made his AIL debut against trinity last week

He's been training with the full squad a couple of times. With all the injuries they'll need the players to help them rep games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Adam Byrne training with full squad

I wonder how many times I'm going to see mention of Adam Byrne and think of Adam Byrnes, get outraged that he's back, then cop my mistake and calm down. Plenty, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What position is he out of interest?

There's a good few Byrnes floating around the Leinster youth system at the moment, it's all getting very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

[Jackass] wrote: »
    What position is he out of interest?

There's a good few Byrnes floating around the Leinster youth system at the moment, it's all getting very confusing.
    Adam is mainly a centre but has also played fullback and on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I thought he was a back rower?

Looks like it here: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/688394/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

tolosenc wrote: »
    I thought he was a back rower?

Looks like it here: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/688394/
    No he's an outside back. That pic is from this years 19s interpro against Ulster where he lined out at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

He certainly seems to be a big enough fella to manage the step up anyway. Can anybody who has seen him play shed some more light on him as a player?

• Advertisement

So what sort of team would we like to see for Zebre? I reckon Heaslip, Ross and Healy should be rested, Strauss too maybe.

If Madigan is going to play FB in Clermont, I'd like to see him there this weekend too.

So:
    Madigan
    D Kearney
    McFadden
    D'Arcy
    Nacewa
    Sexton (or Goodman if Sexton rested)
    Reddan
    van der Merwe
    Cronin
    Bent
    Cullen
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    O'Brien
    Ruddock

Not bad, not great - particularly in the back line - but if O'Brien can last the 80 minutes and we can go to Clermont with a fully-fit pack, then anything is possible.

Is Browne fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    He certainly seems to be a big enough fella to manage the step up anyway. Can anybody who has seen him play shed some more light on him as a player?

Came on as a sub in Leinster A V Munster V at fullback for Dave K. Very fast, great step and made a lovely line break about 30-40 yards twice if i recall. Excellent potential for a youngster.

So what sort of team would we like to see for Zebre? I reckon Heaslip, Ross and Healy should be rested, Strauss too maybe.

If Madigan is going to play FB in Clermont, I'd like to see him there this weekend too.

So:
    Madigan
    D Kearney
    McFadden
    D'Arcy
    Nacewa
    Sexton (or Goodman if Sexton rested)
    Reddan
    van der Merwe
    Cronin
    Bent
    Cullen
    Toner
    McLaughlin
    O'Brien
    Ruddock

Not bad, not great - particularly in the back line - but if O'Brien can last the 80 minutes and we can go to Clermont with a fully-fit pack, then anything is possible.

Is Browne fit?
    Browne is fit afaik
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/702888/

Not bad, PLEASE Jesus Allah Buddah etc NO Injuries

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Girvan Dempsey is the new Academy Manager after Colin McEntee was appointed as IRFU High Performance Manager.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27847.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27563.php

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Girvan Dempsey is the new Academy Manager after Colin McEntee was appointed as IRFU High Performance Manager.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27847.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27563.php

One of my fav players, excellent FB

He's been doing a great job with the Academy team already, great to see.

Also best of luck to Collie in his new role with the IRFU. He's a great eye for talent...

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Gordon D'Arcy
    12: Andrew Goodman
    11: Fergus McFadden
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Michael Bent
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Damian Browne
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Rhys Ruddock
    8: Sean O'Brien
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Cian Healy
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Tom Denton
    20: Jordi Murphy
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

D'Arcy playing 13? When did we last see that? Still, he would have been a natural 13 had BOD not been around so maybe it's not too late... I like the look of Goodman so far so this might work out OK.

Ruddock at 7 and O'Brien at 8? Does not compute.

Good to see Browne back; if he comes through unscathed he'll be starting in Clermont.

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Gordon D'Arcy
    12: Andrew Goodman

11: Fergus McFadden
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Michael Bent
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Damian Browne
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Rhys Ruddock
    8: Sean O'Brien
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Cian Healy
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Tom Denton
    20: Jordi Murphy
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

V. Interesting 13/12

7 - Not sure at all, play Jordi there if Jennings is resting/has a knock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Does the "A" team have a match this weekend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement