Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

Tox56 wrote: »
    Clermont team for game against Toulouse tomorrow:

121130-compo-2.jpg

I know people go on about the Rabo resting players and all that, but this is a game between two of the best teams in France the week before a crucial H Cup game, and Clermont are fielding a half strength team. I would say at most 4-5 of those will start against us next week.

My hatred of all things Jamie Cudmore has been sparked into life by that graphic. I genuinely get surprised by how much I dislike him each time I watch him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

As of this weekend, Malzieu has a calf problem and Vosloo has a fractured pelvis (ouch!) so I'm guessing they won't be available.
    They'll have to resort to playing Nalaga and Sivivatu on the wings so. Or maybe Buttin or Nakataici. Injury crisis, Clermont style...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

So after a decent enough run out against Zebre tonight, what team are people hoping to see next week?

Personally I'd like to see 15.Nacewa 14.D.Kearney 13.D'Arcy 12.Madigan 11.McFadden 10.Sexton 9.Boss 1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Ross 4.Browne 5.Cullen 6.SOB 7.Jennings 8.Heaslip 16.Cronin 17.VDM 18.Bent 19.Toner 20.Locky 21.Reddan 22.Goodman 23.Conway.

I know maddog at 12 is a crazy gamble but we are seriously up against it here and we aren't going to win this game from being conservative, and I really think a Sexton-Madigan 10-12 axis could be lethal if it comes off even though the odd time it has been tried it hasn't really worked. Isa is too good at fullback so he is a must there IMO. I would normally opt for Locky over Jennings but Jennings form has been better this season and the breakdown is an area we really need to target in this game so Jennings gets the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Front row picks itself.

I'd have Toner with Cullen in the 2nd row but I can see why you would want Browne instead.

McLaughlin has been in disappointing this season, and Jennings has been in great form, so if he's available I'd pick Jenno.

I would probably start Boss, but considering Reddan got 80 minutes at SH you'd have to presume he will start.

I'd have Goodman at 12 and Darce at 13. I haven't been hugely impressed with Goodman but he has been solid and brings some physicality. He's also less of a risk than Conway on the wing.

McFadden, D Kearney and Isa back 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'd go for

15.madigan 14.D.Kearney 13.Ferg 12.Darcy 11.Nacewa 10.Sexton 9.Boss/reddan 1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Ross 4.Browne 5.Cullen 6.Locky 7.SOB 8.Heaslip 16.Cronin 17.VDM 18.Bent 19.Toner 20.jrnnings 21.boss 22.Goodman 23.Conway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ugh why do my exams have to start next weekend, so many class games coming up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Provided D.Kearney is 100%

1. Heinke van der Merwe
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Leo Cullen
    5. Damien Browne
    6. Kevin McLaughlin
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Eoin Reddan
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Fergus McFadden
    12. Andrew Goodman
    13. Gordon D'Arcy
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Isa Nacewa

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Shane Jennings
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Andrew Conway

Where's your inside centre hagz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Hagz wrote: »

1. Heinke van der Merwe
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Leo Cullen
    5. Damien Browne
    6. Kevin McLaughlin
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Eoin Reddan
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Fergus McFadden
    13. Gordon D'Arcy
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Isa Nacewa

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Shane Jennings
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Andrew Conway

Why no Healy? He is in great form and along with Sexton is one of our two best players IMO, you left out 12 but based on your bench I assume you are starting Goodman, which I suppose is a solid option defensively but I dont think he offers that much, I definately see this as a game for Boss and Jennings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm not really sure why, but I just went with VDM because it's an away game in Clermont and I just felt like it would be a real grinding first half, then bring Healy on for the second to wreak havoc. And yeh I left out my 12 which is Goodman. Again, just a solid/safe line-up. I like the idea of McFadden and D'Arcy in the centre with Madigan/Nacewa and D.Kearney in the back-three as well. It's a toss up for me. There's a lot of different combinations we could go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm not really sure why, but I just went with VDM because it's an away game in Clermont and I just felt like it would be a real grinding first half, then bring Healy on for the second to wreak havoc. And yeh I left out my 12 which is Goodman. Again, just a solid/safe line-up. I like the idea of McFadden and D'Arcy in the centre with Madigan/Nacewa and D.Kearney in the back-three as well. It's a toss up for me. There's a lot of different combinations we could go with.

I agree. Healy, as an impact sub, was immense today. Very few people see 5 opponents in front of them, in tight space, and back themselves.

On the other hand, it used to be the case that Healy vs VDM was much of a muchness, but now Healy may well be the best loosie in the world (if not, opinions on who is?). VDM is quality, but Healy is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

tolosenc wrote: »
    I agree. Healy, as an impact sub, was immense today. Very few people see 5 opponents in front of them, in tight space, and back themselves.

On the other hand, it used to be the case that Healy vs VDM was much of a muchness, but now Healy may well be the best loosie in the world (if not, opinions on who is?). VDM is quality, but Healy is special.

VDM can be a good impact sub in his own right. He might not gallop 50m down the field, but that scrum against Toulouse and his performance when coming on for South Africa against us shows he can make an impact, particularly at the scrum.

It's a nice idea to have Healy up your sleeve, but I think we need to get as much out of him as possible. 60 minutes of Healy at full tilt and bring VDM off the bench is what I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

1. Heinke van der Merwe
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Leo Cullen
    5. Damien Browne
    6. Kevin McLaughlin
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    9. Eoin Reddan
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Fergus McFadden
    12. Andrew Goodman
    13. Gordon D'Arcy
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Isa Nacewa

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Shane Jennings
    21. Isaac Boss
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Andrew Conway

Is SOB definitely available then. I heard someone say on here that he came off injured and had his arm in a sling on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

dtpc191991 wrote: »

Is SOB definitely available then. I heard someone say on here that he came off injured and had his arm in a sling on the bench?

Joe said afterwards he was fine. Thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Joe said afterwards he was fine. Thank god!

Seconded :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was a season ticket holder for the last few years but didn't get one this season as I would be out of the country for most of the season so this is my first time buying a home HEC pool game in years....since 08-09 I think.

I'm just looking at the ticket prices for the game against Clermont in the Aviva and Leinster must be raking it in. A North or South stand ticket for the home HEC game against Lanelli is 30e but in the Aviva it's 35e for a North or South stand ticket. For the Grandstand or Anglesea Stand in the RDS the tickets are 40-50e (60 for halfway) but in the Aviva for an East or West Stand they're 45-55e. Considering the much larger capacity of the East or West Stand in the Aviva this is really a money spinner.

I'm not incl the premium tickets here.

Now if you take it that every ticket appears to be 5e more expensive so if Leinster get 37,000 (that's assuming a stadium of 50,000 less 13,000 season ticket holders) in for the game then this extra charge makes 185,000 (for a full stadium of 55,000 this will be more). From memory I think it's been quoted that the Aviva rent is 450,000 so that leaves 265,000 to rent the stadium which is 5889 45e tickets. 37,000-5889 is 31,111 then say 5000 (which is probably on the high side) for cheap give away tickets and other give aways so you end up with 26,000 profit making tickets. Say the average ticket is 45e (it's probably more as there are more 55e tickets than 35e or 45e tickets) that means Leinster bring in 1,170,000e from this game.

That's enough to fund a big money foreign player for a three year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

durkadurka wrote: »
    I'd go for

15.madigan 14.D.Kearney 13.Ferg 12.Darcy 11.Nacewa 10.Sexton 9.Boss/reddan 1.Healy 2.Strauss 3.Ross 4.Browne 5.Cullen 6.Locky 7.SOB 8.Heaslip 16.Cronin 17.VDM 18.Bent 19.Toner 20.jrnnings 21.boss 22.Goodman 23.Conway.

Switch Ferg and Darce and I'd be happy with that side. Thought Darce was very good today and Ferg needs to start getting a good run at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

This talk of using Cian Healy as an impact sub strikes me as a bit odd. It's become a bit of a cliche in the modern game that when someone describes a prop as being good in the loose that they're covering up for the fact that he can't scrummage well, but like a lot of cliches it's based in truth. As far as I'm concerned a team should always start with its two best scrummaging props, and that means Healy and Ross. A prop who is considered an impact sub is one who can come on and destroy the opposition scrum after 60 minutes or so. If you're bringing a prop off the bench for his ball-carrying ability then something has gone fundamentally wrong. Yes, Healy was immense off the bench today but that's because he's a world class rugby player, not because his best purpose is as an impact-player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Is Dave Kearney fit? Strange he wasn't involved today?

I would go with:
    15 Isa
    14 D Kearney
    11 Ferg
    12 Goodman
    13 Darcy
    10Sexton
    9 Boss

8 Headlip
    7 SOB
    6 Locky
    5 Browne
    4 Leo
    3 Ross
    2Strauss
    1Healy

Bench picks itself from there. After 60 mins our front row from the bench could make an impact. Other than front row and Toner I can't see many other bench options that will really change the game if we need them to . Madigan won't from any position other that 10 and at 10 he needs his pack on top which ours might not be next week. Conway doesn't look confident in himself. Wonder what's wrong there? Reddan same as Madigan to an extent.
    If we get out of here with a losing BP we will be lucky. A 6 day turnaround could really kill us as well. We could do well in France but not compete in Dublin as if we get an injury or two it's the likes of Carr stepping in to replace. Clermont on the other hand have quality subs and quality 3rd choices. And the team they picked v Toulouse shows they are up for our games big time!

I still believe we can get a losing BP in France - if luck sneek a win and beat them in Dublin but I was more confident we would beat Northampton at h/t teo years ago than I am now.

Allez Les Blues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Even though I'm not over awed by Goodman, I'd also subscribe to him being included in the game - Defensively he's very good, and I think we'll need to be defensive in SMM. Their backs are all massive so I'd like to have that flanker type in the midfield. It also allows us to have our best backs available on the pitch; Isa, Ferg, Darce, and Dave Kearney.

If Goodman is registered by Wednesday we'll know exactly what the backline is - presuming that Kearney is fit ofcourse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Is Dave Kearney fit? Strange he wasn't involved today?

I would go with:
    15 Isa
    14 D Kearney
    11 Ferg
    12 Goodman
    13 Darcy
    10Sexton
    9 Boss

8 Headlip
    7 SOB
    6 Locky
    5 Browne
    4 Leo
    3 Ross
    2Strauss
    1Healy

Bench picks itself from there. After 60 mins our front row from the bench could make an impact. Other than front row and Toner I can't see many other bench options that will really change the game if we need them to . Madigan won't from any position other that 10 and at 10 he needs his pack on top which ours might not be next week. Conway doesn't look confident in himself. Wonder what's wrong there? Reddan same as Madigan to an extent.
    If we get out of here with a losing BP we will be lucky. A 6 day turnaround could really kill us as well. We could do well in France but not compete in Dublin as if we get an injury or two it's the likes of Carr stepping in to replace. Clermont on the other hand have quality subs and quality 3rd choices. And the team they picked v Toulouse shows they are up for our games big time!

I still believe we can get a losing BP in France - if luck sneek a win and beat them in Dublin but I was more confident we would beat Northampton at h/t teo years ago than I am now.

Allez Les Blues!!

That'd be what I'd go with also.

I also think we're playing ourselves down a bit. Despite the injuries and despite the lack of form, we've a 15 that can certainly go to SMM and win.

Remember last time out we had an equally callow backline and almost snuck it with a disallowed try from Jenno.

Believe in blue!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looking at getting tickets for Leinster v Ulster in March, where abouts in the RDS gives a decent view etc? It'll be south or north looking at the prices, is there much difference between the 2?

If you're choosing between south and north the only factor at that time of year is the evening sun.

The south stand is really a south east stand and you could be staring into the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

awec wrote: »
    Looking at getting tickets for Leinster v Ulster in March, where abouts in the RDS gives a decent view etc? It'll be south or north looking at the prices, is there much difference between the 2?

Been to both ends and I prefer the one that's closer to where the teams enter the field from, the regulars here can let you know which is which. Do not sit on the rows immediately up from the aisles, as the drinkers and those with weak bladders will bust your nuts as they parade in and out throughout the game. Go for the last row in front of the aisle. It's free seating so if you leave your seat at halftime you might lose it. Also, there is no cover over either of the Nth or Sth stands so be prepared.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't mind a bit of rain, the other stand appears to be 60 euro a touch. Sod that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

A lot of the teams mentioned for this week have both Bent and Goodman in the 23. Is this actually possible? I thought only one or the other could be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

LR always do savage competitions around the Hcup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Hope my maths is correct.

The biggest fortnight in Leinsters year coming up.

5 points from both games would be very nice, 8+ points would be dreamland.

An unlikely draw between Scarlets and Exeter would put them both on 3 and effectively knock them both out.

Either Scarlets/Exeter win or get a TBP and Leinster Lose no LBP and it will get pretty tight

Exeter unbeaten at home in the League and 4 wins on the bounce v Wasps, LI, Worcester and Harlequins so I would like to see them get knocked out and have nothing other than pride to play for in January

Scarlets at home could be a TBP for Leinster

3 wins in the next 4 games should qualify on 20 points with a difficult away trip to Harlequins/Saracens/Toulon/Clermont etc

If we can get 21 points it make a huge difference imo

Best Scenario
    Leinster 13
    Clermont 10
    Scarlets 3
    Exeter 3

Possible sneaky 20/17 Win
    Leinster 12
    Clermont 11
    Scarlets 5
    Exeter 1

Worst
    Clermont 15
    Leinster 8
    Exeter 1/6 either team getting 5 points
    Scarlets 1/6

Likely
    Clermont 14
    Leinster 8/9
    Scarlets 5
    Exeter 2

Cant wait. CMON Leinster
    I LOVE Heineken cup weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ssaye wrote: »

The biggest fortnight in Leinsters year coming up.

5 points from both games would be very nice, 8+ points would be dreamland.

5 points would be a great outcome but equally valuable would be if we could restrict Clermont to 4, i.e. no try BP over there and no losing BP here. That would put us in a great position.

I LOVE Heineken cup weekends

+1 on that, and this is a beauty coming up; Ulster v Saints Friday night, Munster v Sarries Saturday evening and Clermont v Leinster on Sunday, could be epic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement