Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Got to take it slow with Fitz, prudent not to rush him. Good to see him training though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We can exchange two players for this round of the Hcup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

.ak wrote: »
    We can exchange two players for this round of the Hcup.

Yes but I'm pretty sure the players you remove from the squad can't be brought back in.

danthefan wrote: »
    Yes but I'm pretty sure the players you remove from the squad can't be brought back in.

You think we're gonna bring Luke McGrath or Tom Sexton back in? We could even drop Moore if we wanted. We're flush with THs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

You think we're gonna bring Luke McGrath or Tom Sexton back in? We could even drop Moore if we wanted. We're flush with THs.

No that's fair enough I suppose. I didn't have the squad at hand so didn't really know who was there who wouldn't get a game.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    No that's fair enough I suppose. I didn't have the squad at hand so didn't really know who was there who wouldn't get a game.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/leinster_rugby.php?section=2

Players born in the 90's who are in the official squad(not academy)

Quinn Roux - injured, looked good in limited time. Contract is up at the end of the season.
    Rhys Ruddock - dip in form lately, but battled injury. Needs a big season to reaffirm talent level.
    Dominic Ryan - oft injured but very talented, contract is up at the end of the season, will he stay?
    John Cooney - Hard to know whats happening with him, currently injured. Fighting to not get passed by McGrath. Contract up at the end of the season.
    Brendan Macken - 91 - hasn't lived upto the huge hype, future looks in doubt at Leinster as his contract runs out at the end of the season.
    Andrew Conway - 91 - hasn't lived upto the huge hype, future looks a bit more promising than Macken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

goreyguy wrote: »
    Players born in the 90's who are in the official squad(not academy)

Brendan Macken - 91 - hasn't lived upto the huge hype, future looks in doubt at Leinster as his contract runs out at the end of the season.
    Andrew Conway - 91 - hasn't lived upto the huge hype, future looks a bit more promising than Macken.

I would still give Conway a good chance of succeeding-he is still comparatively young and has the raw skills. Just needs to stay injury free. Macken on the other hand has been a huge disappointment. He was good in school because he had pace and size but just hasn't kicked on.

Cooney will stay. He's settled well with the squad and still enjoys playing with Lansdowne very much, so I can't see him moving out of the province. With Boss and Reddan in their thirties he'd be mad to as well. He's a better all round SH than McGrath imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Conway is reasonably solid in defence, and although he hasn't been as good as he was in the JWC, he hasn't been a liability like Macken. He has plenty of talent, and because it isn't a huge risk to play him in a H Cup game (like it would be for Macken) I'm confident he'll get better. Only 21 after all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's a better all round SH than McGrath imo.

He is also currently very decidedly ahead of him in the pecking order. I'm think McGrath possibly has a higher ceiling to hit, but right now Cooney is the only one of the two with any chance to see HEC game time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Roux is out for 5 months....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Dominic Ryan - oft injured but very talented, contract is up at the end of the season, will he stay?

Yes, I think he'd be mad to leave. Moving elsewhere won't solve his injury problems and with O'Brien and Heaslip missing lots of games on international duty, there will always be game time at Leinster.

Think it's easy to forget how young he is because it's been two years since he burst into the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Higher wrote: »

Jesus we've really had bad luck with some of our signings. Between Sykes, Berquist and his injury and now Roux and his injury that's 3 players in 2 seasons who have effectively had no game time really.

The curse of the second row...

Galarza, Sykes, Roux

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Higher wrote: »

Ouch, he's just back from an injury as well isn't he? Was he dropped by his own lifters or were they taken out by the opposition lineout?

phog wrote: »
    Ouch, he's just back from an injury as well isn't he? Was he dropped by his own lifters or were they taken out by the opposition lineout?

taken out

The curse of the second row...

Galarza, Sykes, Roux

Did he get injured or was he just sh*t?

Poor Trevor Hogan had a horrendous time with injuries too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

In fairness to Galarza he was decent whenever he played. He was very young and coming from Argentina he was obviously on next to nothing so definitely worth a punt.

Roux is 22 and many in Leinster think he has all the attributes to be a top class lock. I reckon hes worth waiting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/odriscoll-and-kearney-on-track-for-january-return-3308040.html

Saying BOD, RK Jan
    Luke 1-4 weeks still
    Roux - 4-5 Months, he is done with Leinster I think, pity

from it
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1127/1224327142404.html

Joe Schmidt confirmed yesterday the great All Black’s second coming is a non-runner.

“Thorny is already signed for the Highlanders in New Zealand so there is no going there. At the same time we got Damien Browne back on the field and Tom Denton back from injury as well.

“Eoin O’Malley is a guy who could possibly be involved this weekend (at home to Zebre) or next weekend (in Clermont Auvergne).”

• Advertisement

Hopefully they'll be going shopping for a short-term replacement.

Plenty of other southern hemisphere locks knocking around; what about that Carizza guy from Argentina? He'd do a job alright, would probably be glad of a pay-day.

Hopefully they'll be going shopping for a short-term replacement.

Plenty of other southern hemisphere locks knocking around; what about that Carizza guy from Argentina? He'd do a job alright, would probably be glad of a pay-day.

Still think it will be Caldwell from Bath bit SH one could be

http://www.hurricanes.co.nz/team/players/jason-eaton

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7718599/Lock-Jason-Eaton-agrees-to-Hurricanes-deal

Although the 30-year-lock has reached agreement with Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett to come back, he says he hasn't signed a contract and did admit that there is a slight chance he could move overseas instead.
    "I have verbally agreed to be back at the Hurricanes, but I haven't put pen to paper yet," Eaton told Sunday News.
    "I have really enjoyed playing for Taranaki and the Hurricanes and I don't want to leave, but I will assess things over the summer.
    "I am getting old and I'll try to make some money out of my career while I can."
    Eaton has one year left on his deal with Taranaki but has an out clause in that contract.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8212793,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Good to hear some news about Mark Flanagan in that IT article. News about him was hard to find. What is his injury?

Winters wrote: »
    Good to hear some news about Mark Flanagan in that IT article. News about him was hard to find. What is his injury?

Lads on LF saying leg injury and then a fitness issue

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22121&p=508281&hilit=MARK+FLANAGAN#p508281

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Mike McCarthy's contract is up at the end of the season, An Irish Times article recently stated that there are some rumours abound of Leinster interest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1124/1224327040438.html

We'll defo need a loan for the end of the season again. Denton isn't up to it imo. Leo only has a few games left in him. Browne is constantly carrying niggles.

But at this stage if I was an SR I'd think twice about signing for Leinster - you might pick up the mumps or something.

Winters wrote: »
    Mike McCarthy's contract is up at the end of the season, An Irish Times article recently stated that there are some rumours abound of Leinster interest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1124/1224327040438.html

Would be huge loss for them, but a swap deal with 2/3 players say Carr + Macken and Tom Sexton

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/leinster-announce-contract-extensions-and-new-signings-549630.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Interesting news about O'Malley if true. You would think there's no chance that he could feature in Clermont without playing v Zebre, but Joe didn't appear to rule it out. Could all be smoke and mirrors of course, but we really are thin at 13.

ssaye wrote: »
    Would be huge loss for them, but a swap deal with 2/3 players say Carr + Macken and Tom Sexton

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/leinster-announce-contract-extensions-and-new-signings-549630.html

would be a crappy deal for them.

• Advertisement

would be a crappy deal for them.

Defo, just 1 year contracts we can get rid off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement