Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very bad luck for Roux, there must be a bit of a curse on overseas players.

Although it seems to happen a lot at all levels these days that a lad gets injured, comes back and immediately gets a far worse injury and is gone again for half a season, has to be more than coincidence at this stage

The Kearneys, O'Connell, Felix Jones, Lukey, Leamy, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Very bad luck for Roux, there must be a bit of a curse on overseas players.

Although it seems to happen a lot at all levels these days that a lad gets injured, comes back and immediately gets a far worse injury and is gone again for half a season, has to be more than coincidence at this stage

The Kearneys, O'Connell, Felix Jones, Lukey, Leamy, etc etc

You can't say this was anything other than pure fluke really, given that we saw clearly how and where the injury came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

That's horrible news for Roux.
    ssaye wrote: »
    Would be huge loss for them, but a swap deal with 2/3 players say Carr + Macken and Tom Sexton

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/leinster-announce-contract-extensions-and-new-signings-549630.html
    The provinces don't own their players, so they can't tell players they're being transferred to another team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I see what you are saying but there is really only one employer of pro rugby players in Ireland and if the IRFU only offer you a year in Connacht or wherever it could be more appealing to a young Irish player than heading abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

ray jay wrote: »
    That's horrible news for Roux.
    The provinces don't own their players, so they can't tell players they're being transferred to another team.

These 3 players end their contracts in May and I am not sure we will renew all of them, that was my point if ya get me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes, I think he'd be mad to leave. Moving elsewhere won't solve his injury problems and with O'Brien and Heaslip missing lots of games on international duty, there will always be game time at Leinster.

Think it's easy to forget how young he is because it's been two years since he burst into the senior team.

To be honest I'm not sure about that. Marshall and Murphy will be finishing the academy this year and both are impressing me more and more this year. I don't think Leinster can honestly afford to keep all three and Ryan injury proneness has to count against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Just happened on this on blue magic, leinster fans best 15 of the professional era.
    Prop 1
    Cian Healy - 72%

Hooker
    Richardt Strauss - 49%

Prop 2
    Mike Ross - 40%

Lock 1
    Mal O'Kelly - 33%

Lock 2
    Leo Cullen - 32%

Flanker 1
    Rocky Elsom - 57%

Flanker 2
    Sean O'Brien - 45%

Number 8
    Jamie Heaslip - 79%

Scrum Half
    Eoin Reddan - 64%

Fly Half
    Jonathan Sexton - 73%

Wing 1
    Denis Hickie - 57%

Inside Centre
    Gordon D'Arcy - 58%

Outside Centre
    Brian O'Driscoll - 88%

Wing 2
    Shane Horgan - 53%

Fullback
    Rob Kearney - 61%

I'd have Isa over Kearney at FB personally. Rob is brilliant and all but Nacewa cant not make the team.

Scioch wrote: »
    I'd have Isa over Kearney at FB personally. Rob is brilliant and all but Nacewa cant not make the team.
    I'd say Isa ended up second in the vote for fullbacks and pretty high up in the vote for wingers too.

I doubt anyone considered Kearney one of the best wings of the professional era so anyone voting for Kearney voted for him as a FB while anyone voting for Isa, well some would have voted fb and some would have voted winger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Who are the 12% who didn't vote BOD for outside centre??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd say Isa ended up second in the vote for fullbacks and pretty high up in the vote for wingers too.

I doubt anyone considered Kearney one of the best wings of the professional era so anyone voting for Kearney voted for him as a FB while anyone voting for Isa, well some would have voted fb and some would have voted winger

Would you believe Isa didn't make my XV! I went for Kearney because he was simply immense last season and has been a part of the squad longer etc. Rocky was behind Gleeson and SOB for me too. Amazing and all as he was it was just 1 season. I went with

Healy
    Strauss
    Ross
    Mal
    Cullen (Hines is probably a better overall player but Leo's contribution can't be underestimated)
    SOB
    Gleeson
    Heaslip
    Reddan
    Sexton
    Hickie
    Dr Phil
    BOD
    Shaggy
    Kearney

It's amazing the players that don't make that XV though. I went with Dr Phil over Darce because he is a feckin' legend but couldn't edge out Sexton at 10. But the likes of Hines, Rocky, Darce, Isa, Fitzy and Girv probably deserve a place there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hmmm I'd have Dempsey and Gleeson in there I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Shane Byrne. Its hard to pick one, I mean being realistic this is the most successful Leinster team, so its gonna be mainly current players.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Make it a 23 man team and everyone would be happy really. A bench of (Continuing from the fan picks)...

16. Shane Byrne
    17. Stan Wright
    18. CJ?
    19. Hines
    20. Gleeson
    21. Whitaker?
    22. The Doc
    23. Isa

Personally I'd have Fitz over Shaggy... But that's just me. Although completely understand Shaggy being a fan favourite. Who knows, if Fitzy over comes injury he may indeed become one of those 200 cap Leinster legends. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

.ak wrote: »
    Make it a 23 man team and everyone would be happy really. A bench of (Continuing from the fan picks)...

16. Shane Byrne
    17. Stan Wright
    18. CJ?
    19. Hines
    20. Gleeson
    21. Whitaker?
    22. The Doc
    23. Isa
    Will Green ahead of CJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Will somebody please think of Clint Newland?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

tolosenc wrote: »

Sykes has been robbed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

In fairness the backline has to include all of hickey, shaggy, darce, and bod as each of them has around 60 tries to their name. I'd prob throw in Isa as fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

After doing a bit of (half-arsed) research, it appears he went on to play for (and score for) South Africa A.

Wut?

After doing a bit of (half-arsed) research, it appears he went on to play for (and score for) South Africa A.

Wut?
    Southern Kings South Africa's 6th Super Rugby Franchise, as in it becomes a Super Rugby team next season replacing one of the old ones but it existed and had a season of playing preseason games with the other franchises for the last few years. It also competed in tournaments with international teams (Namibia Portugal) in the IRB nations cup under the tagged name South African Kings.

Not sure where he is now because he isn't in their squad for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

ross doesnt deserve his place there ahead of stan the man, will green and ollie le roux

roycon wrote: »
    ross doesnt deserve his place there ahead of stan the man, will green and ollie le roux

Wasn't Stan a LH? Or am I getting forgetful :confused:

TH mainly but could cover LH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

He was an ambidextrous prop but primarily a TH as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

on the rare occasions when stan was fit he offered a good carrying option and a scrummaging option on both sides. ross offers an scrummaging option at tight head and an irish passport and thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He was an ambidextrous prop but primarily a TH as I recall.

*ambipropsterous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1128/1224327205993.html

Apparently we're after McCarthy.

This will relight some old flame wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

errlloyd wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1128/1224327205993.html

Apparently we're after McCarthy.

This will relight some old flame wars.

Unsure how I feel about this.

On one hand I'm delighted to see him possibly get the chance to play for a top class team.

On the other hand we already have three "bordering on international quality" locks in LC, DT and DB and one "have not seen enough of him yet to make a final call" lock in Tom Denton. It strikes me that we need a "world class" lock or at least s "high international standard" and have done since Hines left. McCarthy definitely improved our strength in depth but doesn't satisfy the primary requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

roycon wrote: »
    on the rare occasions when stan was fit he offered a good carrying option and a scrummaging option on both sides. ross offers an scrummaging option at tight head and an irish passport and thats about it.

Ehh? Stan played nearly every game for two full seasons. And he's not better than Ross.

• Advertisement

I would love a lock 'like' McCarthy to replace Cullen.

I would love McCarthy to stay at Connacht and be brought into the central contract system there. I reckon it would start a steady stream of potential central contracts - TOH, Marmion, Griffen, Buckley could all be in the mix within the next 3 years for Ireland caps.

conflicted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement