Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

1967J wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in work who has family in the job -he said advert in next few weeks and will be looking for decent numbers - Not so sure myself as I think the option of recruiting existing officers from the mainland will be exhausted first

Yeah would have thought they'll recruit as many as possible from transfers to save time and money though cant help but look forward to them opening up to new recruits again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

1967J wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in work who has family in the job -he said advert in next few weeks and will be looking for decent numbers - Not so sure myself as I think the option of recruiting existing officers from the mainland will be exhausted first

Thats what I have said all along.

Anyway, the transfer date has passed and there is nothing stopping them starting recruitment now. By the time they are ready to use the new merit list they will know the numbers they will require agter transfers.

Lets get this ball rolling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Bring it on .....

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭psni_lad

Will be good when they do just to actually start doin something and stop me picking up a tour with the t.a instead lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Boyeen30

I've been in touch with a few other Serving Uk Officers looking to transfer over .. We've not had any applications forms... just yet ...

Boyeen30 wrote: »
    I've been in touch with a few other Serving Uk Officers looking to transfer over .. We've not had any applications forms... just yet ...

Do you mind me asking, what the criteria was for being able to apply?

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, what the criteria was for being able to apply?

Experienced Out of the first two year probation, full time ... Willing to move .. That's about it I think .. So far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Looks like the CC is going to be asking for more officers!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/psni-chief-calls-for-more-officers-16265484.html

Mr Baggott told a committee of MPs at Westminster: "I do believe that we will need more police officers. Looking over the next two to three years and thinking of the last six months, inevitably we will need to have more police officers."

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Watch this space. I think Big Matt's speech today could be a preamble for a recruitment campaign. Transferee recruitment has only been a partial success - lots have returned to the mainland already and lots are looking to go back when the opportunity arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Let's hope so, can't wait to have another crack at it!!

in fact, why not save money and use the merit list from last time?......I wish!!

wanadrum wrote: »

in fact, why not save money and use the merit list from last time?......I wish!!

If only, considering my vetting & medical are completed, I would be a cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

I agree, lets use the old list! :)

not brazil you say that transfers have only been a partial success, have the PSNI got a lot of transfers recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

wanadrum wrote: »

Bring it on - oh how I wish ......

Let's face it, most of the same people will apply and most of those who were close previously should do well and perhaps better, it would make sense to proceed with the same list in terms of both time and money.

I have just watched the video on the BBC website - Terry Spence does not mince his words! I think he should be made CC!!

which video is that wanadrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

I have also heard the "sometime soon" rumours but has anyone heard any sort of timeframe? Is it likely to happen within weeks, months or around the end of the year?
    I know it's unlikely anyone will actually know the answer but just thought I'd ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I have also heard the "sometime soon" rumours but has anyone heard any sort of timeframe? Is it likely to happen within weeks, months or around the end of the year?
    I know it's unlikely anyone will actually know the answer but just thought I'd ask!

It is believed to be the after the G8 summit as all officers plus those from GB will be on duty to protect the politicians.

This is just me thinking out loud and not based on anything I've been told -

I would think they will want recruits ready to start policing by early 2014.

It usually takes 9 to 10 months from start of recruitment to first recruits are in garnerville. So I would think recruitment will start earlier rather than later this year.

The decision to recruit has been made so why hang about. Something tells me February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Alright guys, I'm relatively new to the forum, followed a lot of the word to keep myself updated, I'm in the same boat as yourselves, patiently waiting, I say patiently loosely lol. only 22 and I've never applied for the PSNI though I have over the past year done the process with Lothian and have been offered a place but due to family circumstances I've had to put that on hold, but yeah waiting on word of recruitment, word is that recruitment as in numbers etc is being discussed now, both of my parents and surrounding family are currently serving within the service one shape or another, so I'm constantly asking. There was rumour that it was to start within the following months whether or not this is true I don't know. But what Gee-22 has stated, I think that's fair to assume. I know that the force is stretched beyond their means, as lot of neighbourhood policing is being stripped right down to combat the dissident threat and the riots that have been taking place across Northern Ireland, also I don't know if any of you guys watched the discussions that was held within Westminster with the chief and his two assistant chief constables, but what was stated is that recruitment has to happen, we have the police and fire world games as well as the g8 summit, the service is apparently under manned by 1000, unfortunately as stated budget wont allow for this number of recruitment, but I do think we're talking several hundred over the next few years, again I'm getting this off the cuff from family and I can say that they are credible sources, but they are only telling me what seems to be word of mouth. One thing that is a rumour that I was told by a pal of mine who is a current constable was that he wouldn't be at all surprised if the wage was restructured to that of England i.e. lower starting pay, one way of saving money which is always good for any type of business in this type of economy, not so good for us, again this is just a rumour. But yeah looking forward to putting myself through the agony of waiting with you all lol :)

• Advertisement

which video is that wanadrum?

It was a video on the bbcni website - well worth a watch! If you have a couple of hours to spare.

I heard a rumour that recruitment will open up in march.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sixyeight

Hi All

First post but I have been lurking for a while.

Is it my imagination or has the PSNI website page for recruitment been updated very recently?:confused:

I am sure last week it said ".....there was no recruitment for 2011...."

Today it says
    Please note that there is no police officer recruitment planned for 2011 or 2012, but it is anticipated that police recruitment will resume in 2013.

The previous recruitment process is currently under review at present, and information regarding future processes will be made available in due course.

Am I totally mistaken and wishing too much?

sixyeight wrote: »
    Hi All

Is it my imagination or has the PSNI website page for recruitment been updated very recently?:confused:

Today it says
    Please note that there is no police officer recruitment planned for 2011 or 2012, but it is anticipated that police recruitment will resume in 2013.

The previous recruitment process is currently under review at present, and information regarding future processes will be made available in due course.

You're 100% correct. Good spot.

Maybe the guy that started this thread last June was onto something. :)

I've heard today that there will be 50 transferes and 200 newbies.

Process will be different as I mentioned sometime back.

Hi All

Today it says

Nope it has changed .. I've heard it's coming as well ... New blood !!

Gee-22 wrote: »

You're 100% correct. Good spot.

Maybe the guy that started this thread last June was onto something. :)

I've heard today that there will be 50 transferes and 200 newbies.

Process will be different as I mentioned sometime back.

I'm a bit sad, want to be a peeler sooooooo much I can hardly walk past one or talk to one on the phone without asking about recruitment etc. I have about 50 mates who are in up until last week when I asked the recruitment question no one knew when, spoke to a copper who phoned me today in work and when I asked him he says there is plenty of talk of them recruiting very soon.

Could be completely wrong but I can't help but get excited!

Any more word about the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sixyeight

Guys

Thanks for the confirmation!

I guess 200 newbies is better than zero - but what do you think the applicant to position ratio will be? 10,000:200 ?

Guys

Thanks for the confirmation!

I guess 200 newbies is better than zero - but what do you think the applicant to position ratio will be? 10,000:200 ?

I think the number of applicants will drop, but maybe not a whole lot!

Maybe 7000 applications, so 35:1?

I hope to get a few more marks in the ac this time and hopefully that will be enough to get me in.

I would love it if they would add an interview to the process as I think the lack of an interview is a crucial flaw in the system.

Yeah but if you consider that most of the people on here are pretty clued in to what previous recruitment involved and will have put in a bit of prep work and make it to merit pool then its more like 10:1

If the recruitment process completely changes then my odds are no longer relevant.

Yeah but if you consider that most of the people on here are pretty clued in to what previous recruitment involved and will have put in a bit of prep work and make it to merit pool then its more like 10:1

If the recruitment process completely changes then my odds are no longer relevant.

Agreed - I will definitely be playing smarter this time and hope that the experience going through the ac once should enable me to get a few mor points this time - and a few more points should mean a much much higher merit place!

• Advertisement

Oddly enough its the initial test that bothers me the most! My maths isn't great, I know i can do a bit better in the AC but if the IST pass mark increases then I'm up the creek!

Advertisement